Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2018, 08:27 PM   #1
FR3

External tire pressure monitoring

I'm looking into different types of tire pressure monitoring systems. Internal and external. The external seem less expensive ( doesn't require the tire to be broke down and remounted & balanced). Wondering what ya'll think about this.

Thanks in advance
Leerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:14 PM   #2

I have been using the external EEZTIRE TPMS system for 3 years, and it has worked perfectly. The peace of mind knowing the pressure and temp of all the tires, and that it will alert when there is a problem, is well worth the price!
Old 08-10-2018, 08:04 AM   #3

I have the TPMS mentioned in my signature line below. It is external. It seems to work fine. I especially like the fact that the monitor is solar powered and can sit on my dashboard without cluttering things up with a power cable. I charged it one time with the USB cable and the sun has kept it powered ever since.
/s/ George Hay Kain, III - 2018 Forest River Wildwood 254RLXL; 2013 Ford F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4x4; ZEEPIN TPMS Solar Power Wireless Tire Pressure Monitoring System; Sherline LM 2000 - Trailer Tongue Weight Scale 2000 lb; Furrion 381556 FOS48TAPK-BL Wireless High-Speed RV Observation System.
ghkain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 09:53 AM   #4

I don't think the ZEEPIN TPMS Solar Power Wireless Tire Pressure Monitoring System will work for Leerich's FR3. It has 6 tires, and the unit you mentioned is only for cars and trucks with 4 wheels.
Old 08-10-2018, 09:58 AM   #5

X2 Love this EEZTIRE TPMS and peace of mind.

DavidMPDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 10:13 AM   #6
Coach

TST 507. It can handle any number of axles/wheels you throw at it. Included a signal booster, but I have yet to need it.

2017 Sandpiper 381RBOK
2006 Ram 3500 Cummins Dually
valleyduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 10:41 AM   #7

I use the TST 507 and advised my brother to get it as well. He has a 39' Holiday Rambler and tows a jeep. He has sensors on the MH and the Jeep for a total of 10 wheels and doesn't even need the repeater.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 11:17 AM   #8

I use the TireMinder SMART TPMS. It is an external solution. The downside to the outside version is theft of sensors. I take mine off when the rig is in storage. Although I have not have a problem, the cost of replacement would be problematic.

Otherwise the system performance is good.
2011 Starcraft 392BHUw/Andersen No-Sway

chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 11:28 AM   #9

I have a Tire Minder system for all six tires. It is upgradeable for when you pull a toad. It has a device that looks similar to a cell phone that I keep on the dash in its out bracket. It comes with the bracket ,charger, signal booster,extra batteries, seals and six tire monitors. Works well and has signals for slow and rapid leaks.I only have to recharge it about every four months. You may also need valve extenders. The only problem I have had was with the guy at CW who installed it for me. But it saved me from driving on an under inflated tire.CW installed the valve extenders on the rear dual wheels. After camping for a week in a campground I turned on the system and got an alarm the inside tire on the rear was low on pressure. The guy at CW had not tightened the extender and the tire only had about 20lbs of pressure left. I highly recommend one of these. It also saves time and having to get down on the ground to check air pressure.
HortMi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 01:02 PM   #10
mads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leerich View Post
I'm looking into different types of tire pressure monitoring systems. Internal and external. The external seem less expensive ( doesn't require the tire to be broke down and remounted & balanced). Wondering what ya'll think about this.

Thanks in advance
I had two diferent êxternal tpms - the last one was the ezz one. I have switched to the Gill internal one. I never had valve stem problems before nor after using the external ones. I put the ezz one on Ebay for $299+ if you want it. I had 3 valve stems fail while using external ones.
madsledet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 02:44 PM   #11

TST 507

We added the TST 507 2 years ago and it has worked flawlessly. We use the flow-through valve stems and we added metal valve stems. We had all of the system added when we upgraded from C rated tires to E rated tires. Well worth the money and really makes hauling painless. The TST display is about the size of an old flip phone and sits in a holder, plugs into the cigarette lighter. Very happy with the system.
RedhawkCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 03:35 PM   #12

I use the RVI TPMS System on my Sunseeker 2400R (6 sensors). Works with tablet that comes with my RVI brake system for my TOAD. They did (quickly) replace all six sensors when I reported a problem with two of them. They checked serial numbers on mine and said bad batch. Working great now.
LaddDez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 08:54 PM   #13

I wanted to add that using external sensors, I do have metal stems. I understand the additional weight of the sensors can cause issues with the traditional rubber stems.
2011 Starcraft 392BHUw/Andersen No-Sway

chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 09:39 PM   #14

I have the tire minder brand with the booster, it works great. I move sensors to various trailers that I haul my tractor, cars, enclosed cargo and more. I have tire pressures up to 110.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 10:15 PM   #15

I have some questions about TST 507.
1. so how does this work ? Does it display the pressure of each tire?
2. my toad is a Toyota Prius, with its own monitor, which is useless in this case. I tow it on a tow dolly. So I would install monitors on the tow dolly, and on the Prius back wheels that are on the ground, with monitors on the six tires of the RV?
3.Is it OK to put the sensor on the rubber valve stems on the dolly tires?
4. does the system alarm you? or do you keep monitoring the display?

The cost through Amazon looks like around $575.00, I want to make sure I understand how this works before pulling the trigger!? Appreciate the responses!

David
Old 08-10-2018, 11:17 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORKLIFMAN View Post
I have some questions about TST 507.
1. so how does this work ? Does it display the pressure of each tire?
2. my toad is a Toyota Prius, with its own monitor, which is useless in this case. I tow it on a tow dolly. So I would install monitors on the tow dolly, and on the Prius back wheels that are on the ground, with monitors on the six tires of the RV?
3.Is it OK to put the sensor on the rubber valve stems on the dolly tires?
4. does the system alarm you? or do you keep monitoring the display?

The cost through Amazon looks like around $575.00, I want to make sure I understand how this works before pulling the trigger!? Appreciate the responses!

David
It will display each sensor in the position you register it in and only the ones you register for a position.

I would put them on the dolly and rear of the toad plus all the RV tires.

I have my non flow through sensors on SHORT rubber valve stems on my TT. When I get new tires I will change to metal but no issues in a few years. Long rubber stems would be an issue from the feedback I recieved. If you have long stems get metal replacements or you will have a problem. If you plan to keep short rubber stems then don't get the flow through sensors. You can mix and match the sensors later and do not have to get them all at once.

The flow through sensors do not have a user replacable battery. I believe tst will replace the but not sure. The non flow through have replacable batteries. I also remove them for long term storage to save batteries. They last about a year from my experience when you don't remove them.

As the system rotates through it will show pressure and temp of each tire. You set a hi and low point and if out of range it will alarm. It scans through all the sensors. They give you guidance on hi and law based on percentage as well as tire temp.

They now come with the repeater. They work fine without it but if you have any type of wireless thermometer you will need the repeater to get the signal in the cab. If I take batteries out of my thermometer everything is fine.

Many of these tpms cannot support high tire pressures but the tst is built for it. In fact you have to intentionally set it lower for passenger tires. Given you setup you need something that covers both so it is a good system for you.

The issue I have (they all do this I checked) is if you are out of range or having trouble connecting it will display the last known information and it could be 30-60min before you know it is not reading. I was on the fringe and dis not know they were not updating. This was when I first got it and did not know what to watch for. Basically they all fail to tell you if you lost a wheel but all should tell you if it blows.

With the repeater it just works.

The system is worth every penny just so you know what is going on.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 12:10 AM   #17

Thank you very much,,, I just ordered them !
David
Old 08-11-2018, 06:18 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyduo View Post
TST 507. It can handle any number of axles/wheels you throw at it. Included a signal booster, but I have yet to need it.
X2 on the TST 507. It was actually first developed for large trucks with dual trailers so it is very capable.

I did need a signal booster for my 5er though.
Old 08-11-2018, 07:32 AM   #19

I have just gotten the TST-507-FL from Rvupgrade.com for $297 free shipping. I have not installed it yet. It came with 4 caps, repeater and color monitor.
Ar-Newbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 07:47 AM   #20

RVI Sensors

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaps2018 View Post
I wanted to add that using external sensors, I do have metal stems. I understand the additional weight of the sensors can cause issues with the traditional rubber stems.
I still have rubber stems on front, but the sensors fit right into the holes of the wheel covers so they do not move around. All four back wheels have SS stems.
LaddDez is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pressure, tire