Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2016, 09:24 PM   #1
2015 FR3 25DS

Fan-Tastic Fan DIY Installation

We're about to install two Fan-tastic Fans in our 2015 25DS and I noticed our roof manual papers say "#1021 self-leveling sealant to be used on skylights ONLY". Does this mean use non-leveling sealant on the fans, or is the self-leveling okay?

This is our first foray in changing anything on the roof, so want to be sure we don't cause any leaks!
Newbies in an FR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 09:58 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbies in an FR3 View Post
We're about to install two Fan-tastic Fans in our 2015 25DS and I noticed our roof manual papers say "#1021 self-leveling sealant to be used on skylights ONLY". Does this mean use non-leveling sealant on the fans, or is the self-leveling okay?

This is our first foray in changing anything on the roof, so want to be sure we don't cause any leaks!

The 5 MH's I've had have all used self leveling compound on all roof fittings. It works best on horizontal surfaces. Sealing compound used on vertical areas, you don't want sagging then.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 11:00 AM   #3

Just to throw it out there, I bought universal fans which did not require ripping up the roof. But we are not full timers and these fans worked fine for us. They do not have all the features of fantastic fans, just a fan that sucks or pushes air.

Fan name vortex II.
linchat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 10:02 PM   #4
Certified Curmudgeon

If your roof is TPO, there are two self leveling sealant types. One for the original compound (felt backed) and another for the newer material. The latter being a 2 step. Your 2015 is most likely the newer material. If your roof is not TPO disregard this entire post.
Old 05-23-2016, 02:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbies in an FR3 View Post

Mine came with gaskets with them removed old vent and screwed fan down instead of using self leveling chalk I used etnatape (sp) put the back on first then sides, and the the front this way no water gets under tape. Most RV dealers sells the tape. I found one that sold it by the foot.
Myrle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 10:00 AM   #6
2015 FR3 25DS

Really appreciate everyone's responses!
Had to pause the optional upgrades for a minute... took it in for an alignment and left windshield wiper ripped off when I turned them on during some drizzle (and right has a substantial crack in it) and the shop found that the left kingpin is loose. Spending my time chasing down our dealer and/or Forest River for those items...
Still managing to be excited despite the little issues so far, but getting more nervous about depending on the FR3 for our 6 week road trip/move to Alaska this summer!
Newbies in an FR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 08:32 PM   #7
from Cali

I did it like this guy...

Removing the old adhesive it was the hardest tedious part. I didn't like using the mineral spirits so I just warmed it slightly with a heat gun.
Central Coast of California
RV Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 10:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by linchat View Post
Just to throw it out there, I bought universal fans which did not require ripping up the roof. But we are not full timers and these fans worked fine for us. They do not have all the features of fantastic fans, just a fan that sucks or pushes air.

Fan name vortex II.
I installed my Vortex fan from inside in about 20 minutes. So easy and no worries of falling, or causing roof damage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kitchen Fan.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	248.6 KB
ID:	108945  
Old 05-25-2016, 08:43 AM   #9

We installed two Fan-Tastic Vent 6600Rs in place of the fanless vents in our previous TT. 14 speeds, reversible, thermostat or manual, rain-sensing with remote. At least one is on the list for the new TT.

You can see the writeup and photos of the complete installation at Mods - Fan-Tastic vent.

visit our website at www.restcure.ca
Restcure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 07:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcarterhb1951 View Post
I installed my Vortex fan from inside in about 20 minutes. So easy and no worries of falling, or causing roof damage.
$10 says you could do it in 10 minutes next time! After I did the first one, I thought I could do the other in 1/2 the time. Never seen the expensive fans in action, but the vortex is more then adequate for us.
linchat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fan