Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2015, 02:20 PM   #41
Craig and Jillian

Techno,

I realy like that Hengs fan you installed. I just noticed PPL also sales it and otherr stuff on Amazon (Shipped by PPL) for $60 with Free Shipping. How hard (or easy) was it to wire up?

Craig
Go_Postal_91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 04:06 PM   #42

Craig. My early edition 2014 did not have pre wired vent fans. I understand they do now. So I tapped into he overhead light. That means that if you push on he fan and keep the light mounted switch on, the fan and light come on when u flip the wall switch.

Once the bathroom light wall switch is on you can turn the light off from above if you like and just run the fan or turn the light switch on and shut off the fan. For awhile I would shut off the light as it gets hot. But now I leave them both on since I swapped out all the bulbs for LEDs. That's another post.

I Attached a long leader (soldered) to he fan wires and snaked it over to the lite then used those red plastic clamp on wire taps to tap into the light wires. I'd say it's a difficulty level 4 out of ten. Only because of the wiring. One the wiring is done the fan installs with two screws.

As I recall, I was surprised when I found the wire wire was ground and the black was positive. You want to make sure you don't reverse them or I suspect the fan will blow in not out.

Now to install the same fan I the bedroom same procedure. But there the bedroom wall switch must be on. Once again u can turn e lights off from the light housing itself.

As for the kitchen fan. I've yet to do that one. Because the closest DC there are the three or four dual lights hat all come on from the entry switch at the door and I don't want to have to flip all those lights off manually. I am thinking at I can run a fresh line from the radio bin thru the TV cabinet, to the cabinet above the counter and up in the ceiling to the fan. Lots more work but that would be that case no matter what fan I installed there.

2014 FR330 DS
Technorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 09:39 PM   #43

I put the Hengs Vortex in the bathroom of my pre-wired 2015 using wire taps (see Ford Idaho's post #4 above).

The pre-wires were run along the side of the vent, on the center side of the RV. They were taut with little play. After removing the vent fascia, I had to pry the metal flashing down to get at the wires and put a putty knife behind the wires, to gently loosen them and make enough room to get the taps over them. I used my wife's cosmetics mirror to see them. I trimmed the leads from the fan so there wasn't any bare wire coming out of the tap. I duct taped the fan sideways in the vent hole just to hold it while I fed the leads to the wire taps and closed them with a pliers. Then I pushed the metal flashing back, pulled the duct tape, positioned the fan, screwed it in and screwed the fascia back on. It wasn't technically hard but its a tight work space.

I used two wire taps, a phillips for the screws, a big needle nose to crimp the taps, a putty knife to move the wires and some duct tape to temporarily hold the fan up. 2 month's and 5000 miles in and it still works fine.
Towing 2016 Chevy Sonic LT
TLAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 11:00 PM   #44

I installed the Hengs fan in the bathroom too. Wired it to the light. Took all of 30 mins to install.

2015 FR3 30DS

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
MaltnHops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 05:57 AM   #45
Craig and Jillian

TLAK and MaltnHops,

Thanks much!

Craig
Go_Postal_91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 06:38 AM   #46

Now I'm beginning to wonder if my 2014 is prewired and I didn't know it. I never thought to look behind the flashing!

I'll have to check in the kitchen install as it would save a bunch of time.

2014 FR330 DS
Old 06-24-2015, 06:42 AM   #47
Georgia Rally Coordinator

I now have 3 in my camper. Sure helps not to have to run the AC all the time. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 02:00 PM   #48
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

Technorick... My 2014 30DS was not prewired over the dinette. Also, the bedroom is not prewired. I had to drill through the wood edge and styrofoam and get power from the front light. I do have to have the light switch on for the fan to get power. I just turn off the lights during the day. No biggie and, the fan works great!

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Curt & Isabel, & 9er (our Goldendoodle)
2014 Forest River FR3 30DS (Beasty)
2014 Honda CRV EX-L (toad)

drivmsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 07:39 PM   #49

Drvmsafe

What a PITA installing the other two fans was! In the bedroom the wooden block and styrofoam
took forever to fish the wire thru. In the kitchen I passed the power to the speaker cavity then to the light.

Upside is that I discovered to roof is extremely well insulated. They move a lot of air! But I cursed FR for not prewiring the vents in the first place.

2014 FR330 DS
Old 07-02-2015, 09:06 PM   #50
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

I too cursed FR for not prewiring Technorick. I guess I got lucky when I drilled through the wood and styrofoam to the front light. But, I used a small gauge metal wire pushed it through the hole, taped the fan wire to it and pulled it through on the first try. I know this is not much help now but, hopefully someone else doing the fan install without being prewired can benefit from this.

Curt & Isabel, & 9er (our Goldendoodle)
2014 Forest River FR3 30DS (Beasty)
2014 Honda CRV EX-L (toad)

drivmsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 01:23 PM   #51

Thanks for the info. I have a very early 30DS, no decals on the front and I have the doggie window. I've had the the vent cover off and there is no wiring there, was trying to decide whether to go to the front light or the rear light. It really needs a fan in the kitchen as the one under the stove hood is just for making noise.

Mandoholic and Bassbabe

2014 FR3 30DS

Salem, Oregon
Mandoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 04:16 PM   #52
Motoring

Is the create-a-breeze fan any good? 12V, 3 speed, 3 amps on high

Is this just a bathroom fan?

How does this compare to the fantastic fan power?
grotto69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 01:19 AM   #53

I just had a fantastic fan installed in my bedroom, it is a great fan. I am glad I also bought 2 Hengs vortex fans, since the dealer screwed up, he was supposed to install the fantastic fan in the living room. I am very unhappy with my dealer service, they have had my FR3 30DS sitting in their lot more than I have had it, and for simple problems that should only take a couple of hours, not weeks.
jimcarterhb1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 02:20 PM   #54

FR3 Bathroom fan power.

Other fan question?
Trying to install a Vortex fan in the bathroom of our 2015 30DS FR3. Found the wires, hooked everything up, no power. Where does the 12v power for the bathroom vent fan comes from? Thanks for any help.
WVFR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 03:17 PM   #55

Mine has a switch to turn on like a light switch does yours have that?

2014 cedar creek 36ckts
2014 Chevy 3500 1 ton crew cab 4x4 long bed.

cfiowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 03:44 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfiowa View Post
Mine has a switch to turn on like a light switch does yours have that?

2014 cedar creek 36ckts
2014 Chevy 3500 1 ton crew cab 4x4 long bed.

Tried that, does not work. Thanks
Old 10-29-2015, 03:57 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by grotto69 View Post
Is the create-a-breeze fan any good? 12V, 3 speed, 3 amps on high

Is this just a bathroom fan?

How does this compare to the fantastic fan power?
The Create-a-breeze fan is the fantastic fan with out the bells and whistles.

It can be easily upgrade to remote control.
Old 10-29-2015, 04:39 PM   #58

I Installed 2 Vortex fans on my 2016 FR3 30DS the 12vdc wires were on all the time, after turning on the coach batteries. Did you install the fan without turning of the coach power and blow a fuse?
jimcarterhb1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 04:47 PM   #59

While I didn't have need to trace them, I assume they feed one of the 12V ceiling light circuits. So first step is to check if your ceiling lights in the bathroom, living room and bedroom work. If nothing works then reset the master battery disconnect by the entrance door. If some work and some do not then check the 12V DC fuse panel. On mine it is located in the bed room in the cabinet wall all the way in the rear. I think it should be one of the 15 amp fuses.

If all are working then check your wire taps to make sure both of them are securely crimped. Then only problem left would be if the fan itself was a lemon.
Towing 2016 Chevy Sonic LT
TLAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 04:56 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLAK View Post
While I didn't have need to trace them, I assume they feed one of the 12V ceiling light circuits. So first step is to check if your ceiling lights in the bathroom, living room and bedroom work. If nothing works then reset the master battery disconnect by the entrance door. If some work and some do not then check the 12V DC fuse panel. On mine it is located in the bed room in the cabinet wall all the way in the rear. I think it should be one of the 15 amp fuses.

If all are working then check your wire taps to make sure both of them are securely crimped. Then only problem left would be if the fan itself was a lemon.
Checked the living room wires (no power). Did not pull fuses, but will check in the AM. Master battery switched on, all the lights work

Tags
fan