Old 08-05-2014, 11:01 PM   #1

Filling Fresh Water Tank

Hi all-

Still a relative newcomer to RV-ing. Getting the process down and having a great time learning everything. I consistently have trouble getting my fresh water tank completely full. On two occasions, we've overfilled it and once the overflow starts draining, it goes until the tank is empty. Because of that, we carefully watch the gauges inside the FR3. They say full when we're home but typically are 2/3 or even 1/3 (yikes!) full when we stop at our dry camp spot. The FR3 is a very slight incline when we fill it at home, so wondering if that's the reason. We're about to head out again and I'd love to be a hero and have a full tank when we boon-dock next time. Looking for any secrets on filling the tank full.

hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 11:12 PM   #2

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...d.php?p=500214

Fresh Water Drain

StephanFR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 11:21 PM   #3

Thanks Stephan. That link has lots of comments..mostly about winterizing, but I did notice the other FR3 owner saying water was leaking out while driving. I'll definitely take a look at the drain line and see it I can put a loop or something in it. Is that what you were suggesting? Getting a handle on this would be a home run, since we are literally dry camping in some cases. Please pass on any specifics....I'm all ears.

Thanks
hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 12:08 AM   #4

I tried to send just # 7 but it posted the whole thread.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:36 AM   #5

I had mine drain the whole tank just after filling to top. What I sent was the supposed fix. I never got around to doing it. I just don't fill to top any more. BTW on my first trip with a nearly full water tank I drove on a rough spot through a road construction, and the extra weight caused the fuel pump wire to get pinched and short out. It blew the fuel pump fuse. Dead in the water. Had to be towed. Which means homeless far from home. But ford fixed it by 10 am the next day. I was lucky to find a hotel room due to a convention at Niagara Falls where I broke down.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:13 AM   #6
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

One thing I've started doing while filling my fresh water tank is to not go only by the gauge lights. You can see the fresh water tank by looking in the low point drain compartment. Just watch the water level and shut off when you see that the tank is full enough. Also, if the coach is on a small incline, lower the jacks so it's level.
As for the overflow, after the dealer put in a "P" trap in the overflow line, I've not have any problems with the water draining out while driving. BTW, FR knows this is a problem and will pay for the fix.
I hope this helps.

Curt & Isabel, & 9er (our Goldendoodle)
2014 Forest River FR3 30DS (Beasty)
2014 Honda CRV EX-L (toad)

drivmsafe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, tank, water, water tank