Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 07:36 PM   #1

Firearms in your RV

what is the best resource to find out if it is legal to have a fire arm at a campground. I am permitted to carry in most states. If it is in your unit but under lock and key does that fall under transportation laws? I know that some of the laws very greatly from state to state.
Grumpy Guy is offline   Reply
Old 11-01-2015, 07:42 PM   #2
Who Dares, Wins

Handgunlaw.us is a good resource. As far as on campground property, it is private property so the laws maybe diffrent for each state. Some states you can be arrested for ignoring the no gun signs, others nothing can be done. In the handgun law site it has a section for "no firearms" signs and whether they are bound by law.

Me, I keep a firearm regardless of the signage. If I see a no gun sign i secure it in my trailers lock safe and leave it there. I respect the rights of the property owner.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply
Old 11-01-2015, 07:43 PM   #3

I too have CCL. I always will travel with a weapon in the truck(where it;s legal)and will keep it in the RV when i can't carry on me or in the truck.Only exception will be into canada and then I will have a long gun w/the proper paper work with me.

As your question,almost all campgrounds have verbage of some sort that says no firearms allowed.I still say if it is concealed who knows you have it?
DaveandSue is offline   Reply
Old 11-01-2015, 07:44 PM   #4

Try this one. Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Maps - USA Carry
BTW, it is illegal to have a firearm in any CG that is owned/operated or leased by the Army Corps of Engineers. Many state parks lease their land from ACofE.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply
Old 11-01-2015, 07:45 PM   #5
Who Dares, Wins

Second thoughts.. And a reread of the question. Do NOT assume you can just keep a gun under lock and key. Let's say I have an "assault rifle" legal in my state, PA, I can lock it up and travel through NJ (almost everything is illegal there it seems) so long as I DO NOT STOP OR LEAVE THE INTERSTATE. if I stop for a pee break technically I violated NJ law for having a prohibited weapon in their state. I do jot agree with this and think the federal law should still preempt the state but for now that is what it is.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply
Old 11-01-2015, 07:46 PM   #6

I was told that this site doesn't permit talk of firearms ,as I was discussing hunting on another thread,, just a heads up
LI Guy is offline   Reply
Old 11-01-2015, 07:47 PM   #7
Who Dares, Wins

It can be discussed if it stayed on topic and free from whether it is right or wrong to have guns. At least that was my understanding..

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply
Old 11-01-2015, 07:59 PM   #8

I am not trying to break any rules for the site . I am just trying to gain information on a topic. I totally respect anyones right to an opinion on a topic but reserve my right to agree or disagree with the poster
Old 11-01-2015, 08:07 PM   #9

Please excuse me if I posted a question that is considered out of bounds. I just bought my first RV and just was asking for some insight from the more experienced. I totally respect the rights of others to their opinion but also reserve the right to have my own
Old 11-01-2015, 08:08 PM   #10
Site Team

OK, the site team has done a cleanup of a few off-topic posts and answers that have nothing to do with the question asked.

As per the guidelines:

General discussions of politics, general government policies, weaponry, gun rights and religion are not allowed in ANY areas of the forum. Discussions about current or pending legislation or regulations, weapons and religion that directly pertain to RVing are acceptable but will be closed or removed if they wander off topic or become disruptive.

The reason for this guideline, is just how emotional these subjects seem to get with members. Many a fight has started over those pro and those anti on some subjects....and thus the guideline keeps everybody friends.

If it pertains directly to RV'ing, which the OP's question does, then it's acceptable, and hopefully all following posts will adhere to the same.

Off-topic posts about other site team actions are not meant for thread hijacks. Send the site team a private message if you have questions, also per the guidelines:

Complaints about moderator decisions may not be made in posts; instead send a private message to a moderator. If a moderator deletes or edits one of your posts and you disagree with the action, contact the moderator concerned. Do not repost deleted material.

We recommend that everyone, read the site guidelines, which may easily answer many questions that members have as to "why" things are done.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ork&page=rules

Now, back to your regularly scheduled program.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply
Old 11-01-2015, 09:08 PM   #11

I always carry in my RV. If I'm on BLM land, I always carry within my campground.

2015 FR3 30DS

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
MaltnHops is offline   Reply
Old 11-01-2015, 09:28 PM   #12
Campground host Mo. State

A firearm is legal under the castle law, which would be the same in a vehicle as your home.
Photogirl is offline   Reply
Old 11-01-2015, 09:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photogirl View Post
A firearm is legal under the castle law, which would be the same in a vehicle as your home.

Well that's not always true. It is very important to check with the state you plan to travel in to make sure you don't end up in very serious trouble. For example traveling to NY state and having a handgun of any kind is a big big Nono. Some long guns are ok but please do not depend on a forum for the final say on firearm laws. Check the site the Doc gave its a good one but also check with the state you are visiting to be safe.

Phil57 is offline   Reply
Old 11-01-2015, 10:07 PM   #14

Its assumed the OP is trained. Isn't the purpose to carry for protection. So, if you're ever in danger and you understand the proper use under the circumstances, just live life, and be smart. Your never going to cover every law in every state you might travel in, the alternative is leave it home. I say be smart, quiet and hope you don't need to use it, but. IMO.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply
Old 11-01-2015, 10:50 PM   #15

I myself keep a Ruger revolver in our toy hauler at all times. Not for crazy people, but large game. We go places where there are bear and wild boar and therefore I plan on protecting myself ONLY if ABSOLUTELY necc. No one ever knows there is a loaded revolver in our rig because I feel it's just plain dumb to make it everyones business when the only reason its there is for self protection from large game.

I do see everyones points in this thread due to the simple fact that we live in a very different world than it was just 10 years ago. For example, threads such as this would have never stirred emotions 10 years ago. With all that said, do what is right for you, keep quiet about it and you will be the only one that knows what you are doing.

Know that I broke the cardinal rule and spilled my guts here....................

Guys n gals, please be respectful of each other and others thoughts and opinions. We are all entitled to them know matter how crazy they may seem to others. LOL
gilwilliams101 is offline   Reply
Old 11-01-2015, 10:53 PM   #16
Site Team - Lou

And thus another firearms thread is closed; pending review.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply
Closed Thread