Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2018, 07:08 PM   #1

First big trip

We’re planning a trip from south Florida to Denver with stops in Memphis and mt Rushmore
Should I plan my stops make reservations now if so how many miles can I realistically go a day I would be the only driver
Or just hit the road and see what happens we are planning to do this in two weeks
frankie D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 08:23 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankie D View Post
We’re planning a trip from south Florida to Denver with stops in Memphis and mt Rushmore
Should I plan my stops make reservations now if so how many miles can I realistically go a day I would be the only driver
Or just hit the road and see what happens we are planning to do this in two weeks
Mt. Rushmore is not really a stop between Florida and Denver. But it is a neat place to go to. You stopping anywhere else??.

I have done two trips, each 4000 miles long. Had a blast both times. I always make reservations, but I don't want to travel that kind of distance and then have to find a spot after driving all day. Once I retire and am not limited for time, I may try the free Spirit approach.

Travel distance I plan on is 300 to 350 miles per day. And I do 90 percent of the driving.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 08:43 PM   #3

We travel at 65 MPH, which takes longer than when we don’t tow. Now that snow bird season is winding down, you may not have as much of a problem finding overnight spots in Florida and Georgia. We have overnighted off of I-75 at Twin Oaks, just south of Perry, Georgia. There is nothing else at that exit, but we went out to dinner an exit north, if I recall correctly. We also have overnighted st I-75 RV park near Tipton, Georgia. There are campgrounds near Chattanooga and many spots on your way to Memphis. Beyond that, I do not know.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 05:00 AM   #4

We are planning a stop in Memphis on the way north and mt Rushmore on the way back thanks
Old 04-18-2018, 01:04 PM   #5

It hard to tell someone how far they can drive, its very personal. Are you interested in stopping to see stuff, or just trying to get to Denver? We usually don't bother making any reservations to keep our plans open during our drive to our destination. We use freecampsites.net to help identify possible stops overnight besides rest areas or parking lots. I don't like driving more than 8 hrs a day, rather do 6. Because 6 hrs turns into 8 hrs for us with stops, walking dogs, having lunch, letting the kid burn some energy on some playground...Having grown up in in Daytona, I'd definitely plan the trip so I can get to the other side of Atlanta in the early morning hours to avoid traffic. Then relax, then head onto Memphis. Pinnacle Mountain in Little Rock is a nice place to hike in the afternoon. Not sure if you can camp there, but definitely a nice stop to stretch your legs. Or if coming from the south, you can stop and try your hand at finding a diamond for the wife at Crater of Diamonds State park near Hot Springs, AR. From there you can goto OKC or north of there is Arcadia, where Route 66 passes through. We like to stop at POPS66 (Pops 66 Soda Ranch - Pops 66) to pick out some different sodas and have a burger, nothing fancy, just cool. There is a round barn just down the road from there too thats free to see (http://www.arcadiaroundbarn.com/). Both of those places are 15 mins from the highway. Could camp at Arcadia Lake, in between the highway and POPS66. You could take the main road, I-35 through Wichita up to I-135 to I-70 then head west to Denver. Or you could take the more laid back route down 50/400 through Dodge City out to Pueblo, then north to Denver.

Anyways, we usually don't worry about it, and just head out. Then as we get a little tired of driving we'll check that freecampsites.net to see whats available on down the road.
Old 04-18-2018, 01:15 PM   #6
Always Learning

Ohh, I have the perfect post for you:
Trip Planning – How Far Can You Travel in a Day? | Learn To RV

For the trip, it really depends on when you're going and how long you'll take. You say, "we are planning to do this in two weeks", does that mean you're leaving in 2 weeks? Or spending 2 weeks for the whole trip?

Reservations are either helpful or hurtful. Some people like knowing their stops are preplanned; others feel trapped by the plan. In high popularity/peak season, reservations are required for some things. I'd be apt to make reservations around Mt. Rushmore.

In Memphis, we head there next week and will be staying at Tom Sawyer's RV Park in West Memphis, AR.
Old 04-18-2018, 05:45 PM   #7

Thanks for the website I will check it out we are planning to leave in the middle of June and do it in two weeks
Are there any restrictions for overnight stays at rest areas I know Florida doesn’t permit any overnight stays but not sure about other states
Old 04-18-2018, 08:59 PM   #8
Always Learning

Quote:
Thanks for the website I will check it out we are planning to leave in the middle of June and do it in two weeks
Are there any restrictions for overnight stays at rest areas I know Florida doesn’t permit any overnight stays but not sure about other states
Honestly, I don't know. I've always found rest areas (and truck stops) to be a bit noisier than I like. I prefer Walmarts. We just call ahead and ask if the specific stores allow overnight parking and, if so, where do they prefer we park at?
Old 04-18-2018, 11:05 PM   #9

I travel at 65 MPH. I try to do 300 to 350 miles a day. It works for me.
camper70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 11:23 PM   #10

Quote:
THe trip out (in two weeks) I would just go without reservations as camping season will be just starting and there should be spaces available. If you are getting to Rushmore in June then I would make a reservation at the destination.

I stop at rest areas all the time for the night... BUT since new trucking rules lately, the rest areas start filling up about 5-6PM. After that start looking for Walmarts, Home Depots, Cracker Barrels to stop at in a pinch overnight and stay in the far outreaches of the lots.

Look for little used BLM and Corp of Engineer campgrounds especially around the big rivers coming and going.

I usually figure 5-7 hours driving time per day if I'm not in a hurry... maybe 10 if I push it for two days before I slow down and stop for a day or two.

Good luck

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 04:47 AM   #11

Quote:
not sure where in SFL you are, but i know that from SWFL its a min 5hr run to the line. on I75 we stay at a place just before the GA line on the left. can't remember the name but easy in and out. on I95 we stay just over the GA line at the st Mary's KOA i believe. there is also and good sam park at the same exit. have fun!
Old 05-31-2018, 02:00 PM   #12

want to try the free government lands for overnights or even a visit, are here publications that list suggestions? how do you know if you need to get permission in advance to camp there? ( THink I read that land in VA in the national forest you need to check in and get permission...)
going to try Cabela's in August for an overnight....
4-our-boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 10:56 AM   #13

last spring we traveled from Kentucky west thru California and back . This was about a 7000 mile trip. We did not make any reservations on the whole trip. We just used our Woodalls camping book and our smart phones.

Have fun on your trip

Bob
Kentucky Bob is offline   Reply With Quote