Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2015, 01:12 AM   #1

First Impression After 1500 Miles

Well since February I feel I have put in enough time to give my first impression of my 2015 FR3 30DS. This is my first motorhome and have owned a toy hauler prior.

Pros: Affordable, decent amount of living space with variety of sleeping arraignments, stylish get lots of compliments, easy to maneuver, easy to set up at camp, drive is getting better or I'm getting used to it (CHF Mod only), engine power seems decent for gas (wish I could have afforded a diesel), captain chair comfortable to drive in for hours

Cons: feels built on the cheaper side, screws coming loose (watch out for the slide roller bracket screws many of mine have come out on the sofa slide and no way to screw back in), super noisy while driving loud and rattles like crazy, driving was rough to get used to or like I mentioned above it may be just getting broke in and driving better, camera connections coming loose causing flickering, no power mirrors, haven't got to experience the poor a/c yet but sounds troubling, limited storage that requires a lot of mods, wish you could stop the steps from coming out other than disconnecting them, toilet valve continues to get clogged with debris which I have to keep pulling the toilet out to clear, did I mention really loud while driving and poor storage.

I understand this is an entry coach but spending 80k I expect a little more. This being my first I really know what to look for next time many years from now.
Old 06-19-2015, 05:26 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireSurf View Post
Well since February I feel I have put in enough time to give my first impression of my 2015 FR3 30DS. This is my first motorhome and have owned a toy hauler prior.

Pros: Affordable, decent amount of living space with variety of sleeping arraignments, stylish get lots of compliments, easy to maneuver, easy to set up at camp, drive is getting better or I'm getting used to it (CHF Mod only), engine power seems decent for gas (wish I could have afforded a diesel), captain chair comfortable to drive in for hours

Cons: feels built on the cheaper side, screws coming loose (watch out for the slide roller bracket screws many of mine have come out on the sofa slide and no way to screw back in), super noisy while driving loud and rattles like crazy, driving was rough to get used to or like I mentioned above it may be just getting broke in and driving better, camera connections coming loose causing flickering, no power mirrors, haven't got to experience the poor a/c yet but sounds troubling, limited storage that requires a lot of mods, wish you could stop the steps from coming out other than disconnecting them, toilet valve continues to get clogged with debris which I have to keep pulling the toilet out to clear, did I mention really loud while driving and poor storage.

I understand this is an entry coach but spending 80k I expect a little more. This being my first I really know what to look for next time many years from now.
I just purchased my first motorhome too. I got the FR3 DS as well and I did have a toy hauler. I'm a little worried now I'm reading all these little problems... (that will be very large problems for me after paying 80K)
I've never had an issue with my Dessert Fox.... and it's been to some bad places.
Rattling dash... water leaks... AC problems.... screws coming out.... toilet issues?
twojump36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 09:09 AM   #3
Laverne & Surely

We have a 2015 30DS, and no real problems. Just returned from two trips, one dry camping and another with hook ups. Just rolled 3000 miles, and some on rough roads. Sure there are a few loose screws and upgrades that are needed, just like our previous C class RV. But the FR3 is really a nice RV for the price. This forum is great, and saved us a few issues before they happened. My 1960 Ford Thunderbird has more issues than any FR3 😳

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Vudu13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 12:10 PM   #4
Retired guy

We also had a toy hauler previously that we traded in on this new 2015 30DS but haven't had a chance yet to take it out on a shake down yet. Looking forward to that. Ours does seem to sway a lot and when the wind blows it's white knuckle driving time. The only other issue so far was a poorly installed door that had to be readjusted so it would close properly. It actually locked me in and took me 10 minutes to fight it to open. Then the lock wouldn't let me back in and I had to call a lock smith to finally figure it out. Fortunately the lock smith has a motor home himself and knew exactly what the problem was. Also, you did mention toilet issues requiring you to remove the toilet twice? That sounds pretty bad. Were you able to correct that finally?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Big Dog 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 02:14 PM   #5

Yes there are plastic shavings that get clogged in the flush valve. The shavings I assume come from installing the water tank and are left inside and not cleaned out. I was able to clear it every time it is just a pain in the ass to take the toilet out. And I broke the valve clips once while doing it so had to get it replaced.
Old 06-25-2015, 10:18 AM   #6

We'll shake ours fown when we get back from our Jeep ttip in Moab.... I'm particularly concerned about the slide-out roller screws Nd the slide out motores....
Old 07-04-2015, 08:55 AM   #7

Our first trip to Florida from New York. ac , rattles , back up cam etc. the big problem did not happen till 2 months being home when I notice the windshield had a large spot in the lower left coiner turn out it had to be replaced bad glass. Love the ford power and great gas millage. over 10mpg towing a pickup truck to boot . Going to Goshen !
Carl17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 04:14 PM   #8

Twojump36 what are you concerned about the slide out rollers and motors?

JeNNY (2015 FR3 / 30DS)
2000 Jeep TJ Moab Rock Crawler
2013 Jeep JK
USS Seattle (AOE-3) 84-88 Wayne
US Army 06-15 Sherry
wayne and sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 10:29 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne and sherry View Post
Twojump36 what are you concerned about the slide out rollers and motors?

JeNNY (2015 FR3 / 30DS)
2000 Jeep TJ Moab Rock Crawler
2013 Jeep JK
USS Seattle (AOE-3) 84-88 Wayne
US Army 06-15 Sherry
Yeah... this is my first motorhome and first ever anything with a slide out...
I read on here where there are some problems with the slide out rollers on the under side of the slide out that come loose?... that and a couple other people said they had to rip off the trim from the inside of the slide out to reach the motor just to manually retract the S/O so they could travel...
Now I'm starting to think I may have made a mistake buying this thing if there are so many issues...

Slide outs getting stuck
Automatic jacks getting stuck
Camera's not working
Slide out rollers coming off
Sway bars coming loose
TV's quitting
Toilets plugging
Water syphoning off
AC problems....

I haven't had a chance to get my motorhome out yet, and only have driven it 25 miles max... but dang.... why do so many people have so many different problem so soon?
$78K you'd think there'd be no issues or at the very least, minor ones...
We'll see
First trip out is July 17th 3 day dry camp.
Old 07-06-2015, 07:17 PM   #10

I guess you have to ask, how many are on the road? And how often do these things happen? As others have said on this site, it can happen to a high end units too. So far I have only had a few very small problems.

MSG (Ret)
U.S. Army
Active-duty 66-92
2015 FR3 30DS
fpo1123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 09:06 PM   #11

Did a 6000 mile dry run from Ohio to Minnesota to Washington, to Calif to Oregon and back to Indiana, no major problems. I think more people post problems than those that have a successful trip. Had a few minor concerns but nothing to slow us down or second guess our choice of Manufacturer and product. Thinking of going full time in our 30DS next year, thats how much we enjoyed it. I expect problems but I am a 30 year automotive manufacturing engineer, things happen, in every range of production units.
Old 07-07-2015, 11:24 PM   #12
Retired guy

Freedom, were you towing?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Big Dog 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 11:34 PM   #13

We just returned from our 2nd trip out in our 2016 30ds. Total of 9 days camping in it. No real issues at all, just minor things I fixed myself.

TV antenna booster would not stay on due to a lose connection.
Bathroom door handle was loose.

We are very happy with our unit so far. Hands down easier to drive than our Class C and more enjoyable to travel in with the kids and dog than our TT.

Most of all we love the king bed!!
Cigarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 10:55 AM   #14

No tow Big Dog 1, probably next year when I get my confidence and skill level improved.!
Old 07-08-2015, 03:59 PM   #15

We pick ours up tomorrow. Next week out to the Black Hill. I hope all goes well.
Wjl7110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 07:20 PM   #16

Leave Monday for Gettysburg Pa. This is our sixth trip. So far all of our issues have been small and a learning experience for this first time RV owner. Still enjoy it and every time we get home we start planning another trip.

MSG (Ret)
U.S. Army
Active-duty 66-92
2015 FR3 30DS
fpo1123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 12:44 PM   #17

We just got back from the first trip... about 100 miles total...

The first problem we found was under the bathroom sink... the "P-traps" were not tightened and leaked water all over everything on the floor and under the cabinet.
I fixed them but wonder why they didn't catch it in the walk-thru before I took possession...?

The second problem was the curtain behind the fold out bed wouldn't stay up...
I fixed it by tightening the string on the right side of the window

The third problem is the LED lights do not work on the passenger side headlight...
I searched for a connection issue and found the wires have been cut and are not connected... one set of wires were stripped some time ago for rewiring....? Have to contact the dealer on this one....

The fourth problem... (small problem) is the sliding table on the passenger dash keeps sliding out and vibrating....
I will fix this with a square Velcro sticker...

So far I'd give the whole coach a solid 2.5 stars out of 5... for the small problems but ones that should have been non problems... I'd say the quality is just not there.
Old 07-21-2015, 04:22 PM   #18

Dash design is poor.

[QUOTE=twojump36;930288]We just got back from the first trip... about 100 miles total...

The fourth problem... (small problem) is the sliding table on the passenger dash keeps sliding out and vibrating....
I will fix this with a square Velcro sticker...

The dash vibration will drive you crazy when you hit some rough areas like I90 in west Minn, all the bridges in Wyoming and the back roads in Wisconsin, Michigan and all the roads in Indiana. Its the only thing that I think is a major design problem with my FR3 30 on my first 6000 mile trip. You might as well plan on reinforcing the dash under the radio, as far forward as possible.

Tags