Old 11-07-2014, 11:46 AM   #31
It's not just a QC problem it's a design engineering issue also. I don't know for sure about recent graduates, but I got a lot of exposure during my early career to the concept of "design it so it can't be screwed up on the shop floor".

My experience with our '02 Georgetown suggests that a lot of the "design" is made up by the shop guys as they go along. One example - the overhead cabinets in the dinette slide out were attached by 3/4" wood-screws to the thin lauan plywood skin on the styrofoam ceiling insulation. Only ONE longer screw into any primary structure in 12' of cabinet!

A second one - the wiring for many items was not done to any color code. Some DC wiring had white wires for positive, some were green, some were black and a few were orange. Every time i had to work on a circuit, I had to use a meter to be sure which was which.

We bought it used, so I don't know what the original owners had to have done under warranty. We're retiring from the RV life and won't be buying another one, but if we change our minds it won't be another FR product.

Frank and Eileen
No longer RVers or FR owners
F and E Damp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 06:44 AM   #32
PDI's only catch the obvious / cosmetic issues. You don't find out that the slide out leak until you get into a major down pour etc. My main issue was that the air ride suspension was so rough riding on our class A motor coach that it would cause the windshield to pop out along the top edge of the glass, I'd have to stop and get a step ladder out and duct tape it to keep the windshield from falling completely out. Did this 5 times diving cross country, stopping at Monaco dealers, service centers, and even the factory could not keep it from happening. They'd 4 corner weighed the coach, adjust the air ride so many times, new gaskets around the wind shield, replaced the shocks, etc. I talked with the design engineer at the Monaco factory and, your not going to believe me but, he finally told me that it "was a known issue with that model" . I even tried talking with the Monaco corporate management about trading it in with cash for a more expensive model, the only way that they agree with that, is if I'd take the big hit on the trade in. Eventually I did a voluntary repossession.

jamesroadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 07:52 AM   #33
Our dealer let us look at look at new RVs that just arrived on their lot & I was surprised to find that one was leaking badly during a heavy rain, others had trim falling off, and most had saw dust all over the floor... Some of the worst were Keystone products... The FR products were the better of the two...

Therefore we bought a slightly used TT because I didn't want to waste our first summer camping having the dealer finish building our TT... Before buying, I spent 2 hours looking at in in a rain storm (no leaks!) and then had the dealer perform a thorough 2 hour PDI. Every major system was tested & I videotaped everything. The dealer even did a pressure test & caulked a few areas that showed air leaks-but no water leaks during the heavy rain...

IMO buying slightly used meant more time camping. I figured the previous owner spent their time having warranty work done... With the money saved buying used vs. new we can basically replace the A/C, fridge, etc. and still be money ahead...

2011 RAM 2500 ST Crew Cab 5.7 Hemi
2011 Primetime 3150BHD Touring Edition
Days camped in 2016-36
Days camped in 2015-37; Days camped in 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote