Old 01-25-2014, 10:14 AM   #1

First Trip

Well, I've been living in my FR3 at different parks in the San Diego area for four months now, and next weekend I will take my first real trip. The Escapees RV Club are holding an RV Boot Camp at the North Ranch RV Park in Congress, AZ. Figured it wouldn't hurt to learn more about taking care of 'The River' plus I'll be taking a half-day driving class.

Needless to say I'm excited and a bit anxious. One thing I need to decide on is the route. The most direct route is to go east on 8, then north at El Centro taking 78 to 10 east. The problem is that 8 east of San Diego goes over some mountains with steep grades and areas that are well-known for high winds. That makes me a bit nervous.

An alternate, but longer route is to take 15 north out of San Diego, then 60 east to 10 east. It's about an hour longer, but there are no grades as steep as those on 8. Going this way would be a 5+ hour trip and I wonder if I should drive that long in one day my first time out. I'm considering taking this route and stopping at a park in the Palm Springs/Indio region.

So, any thoughts, suggestions, recommendations? Does anyone have experience with parks in the Palm Springs area near I10? Am I being a big sissy? It's just me and my two cats.

Barbara

Old 01-25-2014, 11:56 AM   #2

I think the key is to do what you are comfortable doing. Don't want to tackle big grades your first trip? Don't. Go the other way. If you don't want to drive 5-6 hours your first trip, then don't. Barbara, you will get very comfortable with the coach in a short period of time, but for now, do want you feel confident doing.

Old 02-06-2014, 08:57 AM   #3

RV Boot Camp

Okay, I survived my first trip in my FR3. I've had this baby four months now and had only driven it from park to park in the San Diego area. Being a real newbie--first time I drove an RV was when I took the FR3 out for a test drive--I was understandably a bit nervous. Bottom line: I had a great time. Drove from San Diego to Congress, AZ and back. Attended RV Boot Camp and Driving School, both put on by Escapees. I highly recommend both for anyone new to the game.

Rather than post a long, possibly boring, description here of my adventures, I decided to do a (long, possibly boring) blog. Here is the address:

The River: Going With The Flow

B
Old 02-06-2014, 09:54 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraG View Post
Okay, I survived my first trip in my FR3. I've had this baby four months now and had only driven it from park to park in the San Diego area. Being a real newbie--first time I drove an RV was when I took the FR3 out for a test drive--I was understandably a bit nervous. Bottom line: I had a great time. Drove from San Diego to Congress, AZ and back. Attended RV Boot Camp and Driving School, both put on by Escapees. I highly recommend both for anyone new to the game.

Rather than post a long, possibly boring, description here of my adventures, I decided to do a (long, possibly boring) blog. Here is the address:

B

BarbaraG, check out your blog, good stories. Here is my blog: yaquimagic.blogspot.com I have lots of stuff on our travels and stuff I've done with my rigs.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:22 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraG View Post

B
BarbraG, One post says great Driving School,then another says you Wrecked the side of your unit at a Gas station and it is in for Side repair? Youroo!!
Old 02-06-2014, 10:45 AM   #6
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
BarbraG, One post says great Driving School,then another says you Wrecked the side of your unit at a Gas station and it is in for Side repair? Youroo!!
From what I'm reading, it happened on her way to the RV Boot Camp/driving school. She got caught with tailswing at a gas station. Sounds pretty spending to fix a newbie moment. :-(
Old 02-06-2014, 11:10 AM   #7

Exactly! It was first thing heading out to the boot camp/driving school. The good news is that after the driving school, on my way home, I negotiated a slightly tricky gas station maneuver without incident and a lot more confidence that I could figure it out.

And... I backed into my site on my own! (She says, boasting just a little.)
Old 02-07-2014, 07:43 AM   #8

Rolling Magic, I enjoyed reading your blog; especially the post about your recent trip to Quartzsite. I, of course, passed through there on my way out and back and was blown away by all the boondocking RVs and various swap meets or whatever they are. I didn't stop as I am still work and so had a limited time to be out on the road. Also, I am disinclined to dock 'er out in the boonies by myself, at least the first time. I'm thinking maybe I'll try to make it there next January.
Anyway, quick blogging question: how do you make it so the posts come up in first to last order.... oh, I just looked at your blog again and realize that the Quartzsite story is all one post. Guess that's the way you have to do it. Otherwise people end up reading the end of the journey first.
Thanks for pointing out your blog. I'll keep my eye on it.

Barbara
Old 02-09-2014, 10:35 AM   #9

On my way out of town to go to the RV Boot Camp, I had a little gas station mishap (Argh!). Thought I'd share the pain by showing pictures of the damage. I've already gotten a quote to have it repaired, so I hope she'll be good as new soon.

Barbara
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	007.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	45999   Click image for larger version

Name:	008.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	46000