Old 03-29-2015, 07:48 PM   #1
First trip towing results

Went to the Colorado National Monument in Grand Junction, CO over the weekend. Denver to GJ is @ 275 miles (1 way) with 2 passes and A LOT of elevation gain/loss.

Have a 25DS and was fully loaded with gear, +/- 63 gallons of water, (empty grey/black tanks) 80 gallons of fuel, 2 adults, 2 kids. Towed our Wrangler YJ with about 20 gallons of fuel, (soft-top off) and bike rack with 3 bikes. YJ, loaded weighs @ 3,500lbs.

Kept it between 60-65, except the passes were @ 40mph on the upslope. Tow/Haul keeps it geared down most of the time, so on trip back, I didn't use it as much but on way out, got 7.08 mpg with a pretty stiff head-wind.

Haven't calculated the trip back but know I got better mpg without the Tow/Haul on the whole time and with a pretty good tailwind. I guesstimate just North of 8mpg.....pretty good IMO, as none of that trip is flat. I don't expect to be much better or worse than 7-8 mpg on any trip in the rockies.

The cheap handling fix and Steering Stabilizer makes a world of difference and would be your best $400.00 and 2 hours of your time to get that done right away. I honestly think towing the jeep made a difference in handling as well. I figure it doesn't hurt by stretching the 'wheel-base' out a bit.

Dry-camped but know I'll probably get a 100 watt solar panel and a charge controller to keep the batteries topped off while out on these kinds of trips. I don't like running the generator (noise) unless we need to use a hair-dryer or microwave and rarely will we need A/C at +7000 feet.

I have a small inverter under the dash for phones, laptops, etc and run the main TV off of a small inverter I mounted in the TV cabinet, so with all the charging, TV, music, lights, pump etc, I dropped to about 1/3 battery life after the first 24 hours. I won't change out the batteries til these die but had a dual 12V battery with +250AH and a 100watt solar setup in my last popup so know that will suffice to keep things running during the days. I just started the RV and let the alternator charge things up for 30 minutes or so and was back to full (at least on the monitor) so it worked out.

Good trip to kick off the Spring!
Meathouse is offline   Reply With Quote