Old 10-14-2015, 01:26 PM   #11
I tow with a trailer. 50,000 miles so far. Can put anything on trailer I want. If I have to back up, no problem. Only 2 places I go that I have to drop trailer, otherwise its always attached. Total length, 52 feet.

A32Deuce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 12:18 AM   #12
Flat Tow

If you check RV boards, Craig's List etc. there is usually a number of tow bars etc. available at reasonable prices. I was able to find a pristine Roadmaster Sterling setup and when I added the specific parts I needed for my Toad I had about $500.00 invested. I have seen the Invisibrake system at Camping World for $1000.00. or my choice, the Brakemaster Stealth for about $1500. So you can come out well below the $4 to $5 thousand figure I too was quoted up front.

john.tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 06:56 AM   #13
My trailer was cheaper than a tow dolly and half the price for a complete 4 down set up. Plus you can back up any where.
A32Deuce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 08:15 AM   #14
Thanks for all the suggestion and help so far.
I have a quote from C.W. with a Blue Ox tow bar / face plate / stealth breaking system everything else you need and about for $3,900.00 / I checked at a local RV sales place who does service there with everything roadmaster and a different type regular breaking system installed is $4,100.00 . My Ford place said they probably can do it if I get the parts. Would charge $100.00 an hour labor. Said they have never done one.
Going to check one more local place for a price on a trailer and what they can do the flat tow for. I am still undecided as I hear all these problems about transmition problems from people flat towing and my Edge has had problems with the push button start / recognizing key fob and if vehicle is in park neutral or in gear. Thinking may have problems with this as I have had it to two Ford dealers and still have problems with it. (Push button start) Since it needs to be in neutral and in acc. mode on the push start. Need to make a decision by this weekend. As I have an Ohio - California trip coming up soon.
philv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 08:30 AM   #15
I have towed several vehicles 4 wheels down as well as my street rod on a car hauler trailer and tried my Mini Cooper (one trip only) on a really nice dolly. I can say, the only way to tow your daily driver is 4 wheels down-PERIOD!!!!! The dolly was a pain as it took forever to load it up, continually check the straps, and find a campsite long enough for a 40' DP'er, the dolly, and my car. Loading the street rod onto a car hauler was also time consuming, but the storage at the RV park was even a larger issue. My street rod was not towable 4 wheels down or on a dolly there was really no alternative.
Get yourself a good tow plate on your vehicle, a easy to use tow bar ( I used the Blue OX Aventa), wire your car to plug into the tow vehicle, and enjoy going down the road. If you decide to use a braking system like the Blue Ox Patriot system, you'll need to run a charge wire from your tow vehicle to the toad to keep the battery charged as you travel down the road. Good luck, spend the $$ up front and have the easiest/best towing option available!!
Days camping (2015)----88 days
Days camping (2016) ---110 days
2016 Wildcat MAXX 28RKX (33' TT), 2007 13' Scamp
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi
30 years RV'ing
12 different RV's
RSchleder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 11:03 AM   #16
IMHO, the best supplemental breaking system for tow vehicles is the SMI Stay-In-Play Duo system (for gas powered MH. They have one for diesels also). Once installed, it's permanent. No having to take in in and out each time you want to drive your toad. No having to attach to the brake pedal. It installs under the hood, has the off/on switch mounted on the kick panel inside the vehicle, wired into the brake/lighting system and you're ready to go. Again, JMHO
Smooth Roads, and, Drive 'em Safe

Curt & Isabel, & 9er (our Goldendoodle)
2014 Forest River FR3 30DS (Beasty)
2014 Honda CRV EX-L (toad)

drivmsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 11:21 AM   #17
Does anyone fulltime with a Class A and not tow a vehicle?
Rockwoodjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 12:34 PM   #18
Location: Home of the 4 time Super Bowl Champions Patriots and we'll be there again
Originally Posted by Rockwoodjoe View Post
Does anyone fulltime with a Class A and not tow a vehicle?
Good question Joe. I have seen a lot of Class A's in campgrounds and on the road without toads. I couldnt image going anywhere without my Cherokee following behind. I tow 4 down Cherokee has a transfer case neutral no need for any extra wiring. Use blue ox patriot system and tow bars. Installed all for $2300.
Mary and Me
2015 2650s

2015 Jeep Cherokee
n-e-d is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 01:18 PM   #19
Retired guy
We flat tow a lifted 2002 Wrangler using the Blue Ox Aladin aluminum tow Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1444933083.726698.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	91634bar with the irv brake 2 braking system. Cost about $3,500 out the door installed. Nothing screams adventure like towing a Jeep.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Big Dog 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 03:43 PM   #20
I have over 50k miles towing a Toyota Yaris manual transmission car 4 wheels down behind my 2011 Georgetown 327DS. I had a Roadmaster Invisibrake installed in the car (nothing to remove/install when not being towed) and, except for the unacceptable installation by CW, have never had any problems. The bad installation was fixed by Roadmaster at their West Coast facility, a side trip 8 months after the initial install. Roadmaster didn't charge to redo the installation.

The car's odometer doesn't record towed mileage and the Invisibrake system includes circuitry to charge the car's battery while it's being towed. I can back up the RV 4-6' wiith the car attached.

pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote