Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2015, 11:51 AM   #41
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBill16 View Post
Interesting discussion because I just came back from a 3 week trip without a toad and am definitely getting one hooked up. I have a 2016 FR 30DS and will be pulling a 2010 Fusion Hybrid four wheels down. The car is capable. I think I know what parts are required, but I have a question. Is an auxiliary braking system necessary? I'm not asking about the legal issues, but I've spoken to some folks in campgrounds that tow and they say they don't use or need one.

Also, does the inertial type supplemental brake meet the legal definition?

Thanks,

Bill
You need to consider a few facts here Bill. First and foremost is the safety of you and your family. By not having a supplemental brake system on your toad and you suddenly need to brake hard, perhaps so's not to hit something/someone, you've got that extra weight behind you that's pushing you and you will have to brake much harder and sooner. Imagine going down a 6-7% downgrade and only using the coach brakes (I can smell them now). A supplemental brake system will help you slow down.

Another fact is the law. Almost every state requires some type of brake system on towed vehicles/trailers over a certain weight (CA is 1500 pounds).
IMHO, you'd be a fool (speaking metaphorically here) not to have one.

Curt & Isabel, & 9er (our Goldendoodle)
2014 Forest River FR3 30DS (Beasty)
2014 Honda CRV EX-L (toad)

drivmsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 12:03 PM   #42
7 Year Class A RV'er

There's also the question of exactly what happens if the road breaks loose, heaven forbid. The supplemental system acts as a breakaway brake to protect others on the road. Driving without is totally irresponsible in my opinion; no one has a right to endanger others on the road.

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 12:09 PM   #43
2020 Bershire 34QS

Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptumator View Post
There's also the question of exactly what happens if the road breaks loose, heaven forbid. The supplemental system acts as a breakaway brake to protect others on the road. Driving without is totally irresponsible in my opinion; no one has a right to endanger others on the road.
As I mentioned in a previous reply, I would definitely have a breakaway device installed. Also, I appreciate all the comments and will get a supplemental brake system.

I did ask if anyone has knowledge of the inertial type brake and if that meets the legal requirement for a supplemental braking system.

Thanks again for all the replies.

Bill
MrBill16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 12:43 PM   #44
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

Quote:
As I mentioned in a previous reply, I would definitely have a breakaway device installed. Also, I appreciate all the comments and will get a supplemental brake system.

I did ask if anyone has knowledge of the inertial type brake and if that meets the legal requirement for a supplemental braking system.

Thanks again for all the replies.

Bill
I'm not aware of an inertia type braking system for toads. The ones I've seen are electrical. But, in answer to your question, I don't see why they would not be legal.

Old 10-20-2015, 12:56 PM   #45
2020 Bershire 34QS

I was looking at this one.....

http://www.blueoxtowbars.com/product...ow_Bars,BX8893

Bill
Old 10-20-2015, 01:06 PM   #46
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

Quote:
I stand corrected. Was not aware they were available. Probably because I wasn't looking for one. LOL!!

Old 10-20-2015, 01:18 PM   #47
7 Year Class A RV'er

Not sure which inertial system you were looking at. I use the Invisibrake on my Wrangler and love it. Mounted under the front seat and stays there. No in and out. Triggers from the TV brake lights.

As for towing the vehicle, don't trust the dealer. They typically don't even know what flat towing is. Hybrids are
Notorious for not being flat towable due to the generator system on the wheels. Check with Blue Ox and they can tell you for sure.

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 02:02 PM   #48
2020 Bershire 34QS

Thanks for the response. I guess your reply came at the same time as my previous response, which lists the brake device I'm considering. I wouldn't trust a dealer to give me a straight up answer on hybrid towing. The Ford manual that came with my car lists flat towing as approved as well as on the Ford web site.

Bill
Old 04-27-2016, 10:59 AM   #49
2020 Bershire 34QS

OK, I took the plunge and will be purchasing an RVI2 Brake system. I've already have the Blueox Alpha tow bar and a Blueox baseplate installed. Did this on our new 2016 Ford Fusion Hybrid.

I spoke with the folks at RVI (they're very friendly) and they pointed out that the Fusion hybrid 12v accessory outlets are not on all the time. These are needed to power the Brake 2. For some reason, the Fusion shuts them down after so many minutes after the key is removed. Also, the battery that powers the electronics and accessories is rather anemic and is located in the trunk, making a direct connection a little interesting.

Their and my solution is to purchase a battery booster (it's on order from Amazon) to power the RVI brake. This is less intrusive that running wires from the RV to the toad.

We're all set now for our 3-4 month trip to Bella Coola. My only concern is the 18% grade at the end of the line
MrBill16 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer