Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2017, 10:58 PM   #1

Floor thickness

Does anyone know how thick the floor is on the FR3s? I am looking to mount my inverter in the ceiling of the baggage compartment, and I’m trying to figure out whether I should through bolt it under my couch or if I should just screw it into the floor.
alexchuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 10:14 AM   #2

I believe its about 3/4 inch. Thru bolts with wide finder washers is what I would do to spread the load of the inverter plus wiring. I assume when you say screw to the floor you mean the ceiling of the cargo compartment. Why not mount it on the floor? will the ceiling mount interview with the cooling of the unit.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 07:04 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexchuang View Post
Does anyone know how thick the floor is on the FR3s? I am looking to mount my inverter in the ceiling of the baggage compartment, and I’m trying to figure out whether I should through bolt it under my couch or if I should just screw it into the floor.
I just hung our Magnum MSH3012 upside down, attached to the floor not too long ago. Damn it if I couldn't remember it, but it was north of 2". Grab some 2.5" and 3" bolts and give it a go.
Old 10-30-2017, 10:29 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
I believe its about 3/4 inch. Thru bolts with wide finder washers is what I would do to spread the load of the inverter plus wiring. I assume when you say screw to the floor you mean the ceiling of the cargo compartment. Why not mount it on the floor? will the ceiling mount interview with the cooling of the unit.

It’s a lot of real estate that the inverter takes up if I mount it on the floor. If I mount it on the ceiling it is out of the way. And if cooking does become an issue I still have the option to add a venting system. But I don’t think it will come to that.
Old 10-30-2017, 10:33 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KansasFR3 View Post
I just hung our Magnum MSH3012 upside down, attached to the floor not too long ago. Damn it if I couldn't remember it, but it was north of 2". Grab some 2.5" and 3" bolts and give it a go.

Thanks. I’m going to be mounting a MS2812. I just got a response from FR two minutes ago. The floor is approximately 1-5/8” thick. But the curious part is that the rep told me it is 1/2” thick osb on the coach side followed by 1” thick aluminum plate and then 1/8” luaun. Did you drill through aluminum? I mean if it is actually 1” thick aluminum...COOL! It’s better than 2” of plywood that some coaches floors are made from.
Old 10-30-2017, 10:57 AM   #6

1" aluminum plate would have me tapping it and using a machine screw.
MtBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 12:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexchuang View Post
Thanks. I’m going to be mounting a MS2812. I just got a response from FR two minutes ago. The floor is approximately 1-5/8” thick. But the curious part is that the rep told me it is 1/2” thick osb on the coach side followed by 1” thick aluminum plate and then 1/8” luaun. Did you drill through aluminum? I mean if it is actually 1” thick aluminum...COOL! It’s better than 2” of plywood that some coaches floors are made from.
If its aluminum, its only grid frame structure, and I've never hit a frame yet. Its a wood (not sure its 1/2" though)-foam core-luan sandwich layup. So far, its held up over the last 2,000 miles. I just used fender washers for now. I first drilled the mounting pattern in some hardi-board, then mounted that on the underside of the floor. Then drill up through the floor matching that pattern. Just install 2 bolts (opposite corner) and hang your inverter. Once in place, you can push up the other 6 bolts through the floor, which will hold it in place till you tighten down everything from the top side. Holler if you need pictures or anything. Also, I hope you plan on upgraded your 120v wiring from the rear of the coach to the inverter then back to the rear distribution panel. I upgraded mine to 100 ft of 6/3 SOOW cable from the original 10/3 I believe that it was. Holler if you have questions or need pictures.
Old 10-30-2017, 02:30 PM   #8

Quote:
If its aluminum, its only grid frame structure, and I've never hit a frame yet. Its a wood (not sure its 1/2" though)-foam core-luan sandwich layup. So far, its held up over the last 2,000 miles. I just used fender washers for now. I first drilled the mounting pattern in some hardi-board, then mounted that on the underside of the floor. Then drill up through the floor matching that pattern. Just install 2 bolts (opposite corner) and hang your inverter. Once in place, you can push up the other 6 bolts through the floor, which will hold it in place till you tighten down everything from the top side. Holler if you need pictures or anything. Also, I hope you plan on upgraded your 120v wiring from the rear of the coach to the inverter then back to the rear distribution panel. I upgraded mine to 100 ft of 6/3 SOOW cable from the original 10/3 I believe that it was. Holler if you have questions or need pictures.

So because I have the MS2812, I cannot run both air conditioners through the inverter even as a pass through. Actually I can’t even run one. The surge power up cycle is just too much for it even though it’s supposed to be able to run it. Found that one out the wrong way on a boondocking trip in 2016 in my trailer. So what I had to do was modify the distribution box to separate out the air conditioner so shore power went to the the box directly to the a/c circuit and then also before the distribution box I split off one line to the inverter. Then to the inverter to a new circuit to power the 110v circuits.

I plan on doing the same here. Just branching out one leg of 110 straight to the inverter and back to the newly created bus bar in the distribution panel.
Old 10-30-2017, 04:36 PM   #9

Received a clarification. It’s aluminum cladded foam core.
Old 10-31-2017, 07:08 AM   #10

So your working with a 50 amp unit? I've also noticed the pass thru on ours doesn't like the AC startups on pass-thru. I might need to pick up an Easy Start.
Old 10-31-2017, 09:44 AM   #11

Quote:
So your working with a 50 amp unit? I've also noticed the pass thru on ours doesn't like the AC startups on pass-thru. I might need to pick up an Easy Start.

Yes. I have a 32DS.

Tags
floor