Old 03-18-2015, 02:37 PM   #1
Unhappy FR 3 Motorhome

We just purchased a New 2015 Forest River FR3 motorhome....Big Mistake....We had no idea how cheap this motorhome was and is until after all the paperwork was done and on the way home with it.
We are not new to the camping world, but this is the first motorhome we have had.
Forest River cut every possible corner they could with this baby.
But that is not the worst problem.
On the way home.... with our very expensive new Motorhome.... we felt a shimmy at around 65 mph. so the next day we reported it to the place we purchased it at to find out what to do...... have it looked at they said.....
We made an appointment with a heavy duty truck outfit (an hour away) to have it looked at. To make a.... very long day and long story short.... found out that 4 of the 6 tires on this (brand new 2015 with only 600 miles motorhome) are bad and need to be replaced.
NOW.....after contacting Forest River about the problem, they said sorry about your luck, your on your own to get warrenty on the tires.
I thought I did all my homework on finding just the right motorhome for us, but I now find out we just made a....big mistake....
We have plans to leave April 20th for a month long trip, but I'm so aggrivated about all this, I'm not even looking forward to it.

Fbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 02:56 PM   #2
Contact a dealer that made the tires, I had the same problem and took it to a Michelin dealer, they pulled all the wheels off and re-balanced them at no charge, has been great since,
Dont blame forest river, The chassis comes from Fords with the wheels and tires, They just build the unit on it,

Kevin & Judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 04:11 PM   #3
Forest River did not make the tires. It's very unfair to blame FR for others mistakes. I also find it hard to believe FR said you're on your own. They've always been very helpful with advising on a problem. You'd be wise to contact either Ford (who purchased the tires for the chassis) or the tire mfg. directly.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Smooth Roads, and, Drive 'em Safe

Curt & Isabel, & 9er (our Goldendoodle)
2014 Forest River FR3 30DS (Beasty)
2014 Honda CRV EX-L (toad)

drivmsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 04:44 PM   #4
Did you buy it in Maryland?
2015 FR3 30DS
04 Dodge Ram
04 Mazda Speed Miata
Semper Fi
PhilZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 09:01 PM   #5
Originally Posted by Fbailey View Post
On the way home.... with our very expensive new Motorhome....
FR3 is NOT an expensive motorhome
2014 FR3 30DS

Bobb36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 05:47 AM   #6
When I drove my 2015 FR3 30DS I noted the steering wheel was off center. My dealer took it in for a full fronted alignment and had all 6 tires balanced. When we picked JeNNY up the day we bought her she drove like a champ on the way home. About 30 miles. This weekend we are taking JeNNY out and put some miles in her just to make sure everything's groovy before our trip coming up in like 75days eh.

Jenny (FR3/30DS)
wayne and sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 10:04 AM   #7
It amazes me when people complain about how quickly they "figure out" how cheap something is, yet they obviously didn't spend the necessary time and energy doing their research before signing the paperwork.

So, it's obvious that you didn't even test drive the rv, if the "first time" you get it to 65mph, you noticed a shimmy. Shame on you.

It's obvious you didn't walk the rv or really dig into it's finishes if "as soon as the paperwork was finished" you all of the sudden notice how "cheap the motorhome was". Shame on you.

Quite honestly, your motorhome is not expensive in the grand scheme of RV and coaches. It amazes me when I see posts like this one that complain about everything under the sun but failed to do the proper research about what they are about to purchase. Shame on you.

The FR3 is an entry-level Class A cross-over. On top of that, it is a new line that is continually evolving from the manufacturer. 30 minutes on the internet would've shown you that. 2 hours in the dealership would've proven that. 3 hours of test-driving 5 different RV's would've solidified that. Shame on you for obviously not doing any of those.

I own a 2014.5 25DS. It's not a 300k RV. It's a 70-80k RV. If people want a Luxury Coach, then drop the qtr million on one and be happy, although, I'm sure you'll find bugs and kinks to be worked out on those as well.

A little homework goes a looooooonnnggg way toward such a big purchase and it's a shame you didn't do yours.

Now, having said all of that, I will say Forest River has been great to work with on warranty items and small issues on mine. It's been out of service a little longer than I'd like, but I also realize I have a brand new Class A that I didn't have to sell my house to buy. And I'm ok with that.

I'd follow up with Ford.
Meathouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 10:51 AM   #8
I totally agree with you Meathouse! Do the research before you sign the papers.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
johnpisue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 03:03 PM   #9
Thank you for all your comments, I totally understand the level of rv that we purchased, but as I said to many of you I think FR should help resolve the tire issue.
After I posted, the dealer that we purchased the fr3 from is helping us.
Again we are not new to camping....just new to motorhomes
Fbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 07:38 PM   #10
I have had four or five big and small issues with my FR3 30DS 2014. I was not happy about some of these issues that can only be uncovered after the first several thousand miles of living in an RV and driving cross country. But in every case - with several different dealers and manufacturers (Forest River, Dometic, Cummins), warranty covered the work, staff and technicians were polite, knowledgeable and prompt to fix the issues.
I did a lot of research before buying and the FR3 value, fit, and finish for the price were excellent. I knew there would be kinks and so I tried to be patient and polite in asking for help in getting things fixed. I am satisfied with the fixes and the way I was treated.
RVs take a lot of time, money, and DIY ingenuity to operate. There is always an adventure around the corner. It is still better than being cramped in a car, eating in restaurants, and sleeping in a strange bed every night. I like taking my home with me when I travel.

2014 FR3 30DS
Z Maze is offline   Reply With Quote