Old 02-02-2016, 08:29 AM   #1

FR3 2015 30DS living room slide issue

Bottom of slide has damage from the rollers. It's affecting both corners and getting worse. The damage is only in the front portion of the slide where the rollers touch when the slide is retracted. Anyone else experience this?
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1454419506.308597.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	98781Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1454419519.359348.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	98782

Just under 12k miles.

TheresiaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 11:47 AM   #2
RJJ

Had it on a bedroom slide, needs to be adjusted. Mine was done twice under warranty. Had to be done twice because Camping World did it the first time. Lol

2015 Georgetown 329DS
2014 Chevy Equinox

RJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 05:00 PM   #3

Thanks for the info!
Old 03-28-2017, 06:44 AM   #4

I hope I'm close to the end of this issue...how has your slide been? Dealer told me I had water damage which compromised the floor. So they repaired and it happened again. Then put a sheet of stainless to protect the repair and it happened again. Now waiting to hear back from FR3 engineers. Is it just a simple slide adjustment?
Old 03-28-2017, 09:12 PM   #5
RJJ

Mine has been fine since it was repaired. Not just a simple adjustment on mine. It's been a while since it was done, so don't remember exactly what they did, but it involved raising or lowering the base of the bed that the rollers rested on. Not extremely involved, but not a simple fix either. I found a great independent rv repair facility, they don't sell, only repair. It's often difficult to find a qualified rv tech to fix an issue. I hope yours is fixed soon.
RJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 07:43 PM   #6

for what it's worth, i had to put a roof membrane where the rollers go on the front slideout, especially the roller behind the driver. The reason was when it was drawn into thr rv it would be loose and slide a bit making a horrible plastic on plastic creaking noise. I even spoke to a head engineer at BAL about it. that picture brings back that sound. it's fixed now, but eventually that rubber membrane will get worn out for replacement. However......no slide issue as what the picture shows.
Combatcoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 08:14 PM   #7

Thanks for the replies, I'm calling tomorrow for an update, they've had it for almost 3 weeks. I love the FR3, but it's been in the shop for too many things.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:15 PM   #8

I had similar issues with my 2016 32 DS. It was repaired under warranty. They actually added steel plates that go along the entire length of the slides and line up with the rollers. They said both slides were sagging due to not being lined up correctly during install. The steel plates are meant to be added support.
I had this done about a month ago and so far so good.
mjessie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 06:54 AM   #9

Yes I had the steel plates along the entire length as well.. they ended up bent and pulled away from the bottom of the slide. I'll pass along this information to my service rep. Unfortunately I had to pay as this was outside of warranty.
Here's a direct quote via an email my service advisor sent me, excuse the CAPS he's stressed out 🤣🤣!!
THERESIA,
I HAVE SPOKEN TO JEFF HOOD AT FOREST RIVER. WE HAVE A THEORY AND PLAN TO
ADJUST THE ROLLER POSITION. WHEN THAT IS COMPLETE AND IF IT RESOLVES THE
CONCERN, THEN THE METAL WILL BE REPLACED AND SEALED AGAIN. I HAVE A
TECHNICIAN ALREADY WORKING ON THAT THIS MORNING.
Old 04-05-2017, 10:51 AM   #10

Theresia,
How long did the plates takes to start bending? When they installed mine, they did have to also adjust the slide alignment. Did they do that for you when they originally installed the plates? I'm pretty sure Jeff Hood @ Forest River was the same guy I worked through. Like I said, it's only been a month after the repair so I'm hoping they don't end up bending and having to be re done like yours. What a mess!
Old 04-05-2017, 02:36 PM   #11

It happened within a few weeks of the repair. We went to Florida from New York. I noticed a small dent by North Carolina. It graduated to a big dent where the slide rests on the roller and pulled the steel away from the front area 3 feet back by the time I got to Florida. It was only on one side closest to the rear wheels. The other side closest to the driver is perfectly normal. I asked them to check the slide alignment as suggested by another person on this forum. Initially they didn't seem to feel this forum was credible source for info, but rather a place people come to complain. I would have gone to another repair shop, but at this point after a few grand, I want them to fix it. I insisted they call Forest River and talk to someone about this. I wasn't imagining that something was not right.
Old 04-30-2017, 11:09 AM   #12

Update: RV is still in the shop(since March 14th). Jeff Hood from Forest River is involved. I requested technician be on phone "meeting" with Jeff Hood but wasn't able to. Here's latest email
Hi Theresia,
I am letting you know that the suggestions my tech as are as follows. First we want to try to put in stainless steel shims under the floor for the rollers to go over on each end. The middle rollers would also have shims installed just not stainless steel. If that doesn’t work his suggestion is to pull the slide room and rebuild the entire floor. These are my techs suggestions not Jeff’s. My tech was not available for the phone meeting but I will be forwarding the suggestions to him and hopefully get things moving. Jeff Hood really is working hard on this he is looking for ways to fix this issue.
Thank you,

Did I get a lemon?
Old 04-30-2017, 12:48 PM   #13

Hmmm l wonder if a person shouldn't get sum stainless steel strips and put them on before it gives way? Will forest river send out these strips as a preventive pro-active measure?
wayne and sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 01:19 PM   #14

Why do we even need steel strips? Does this solve the problem? These are my questions.
Old 04-30-2017, 03:59 PM   #15

In my case, the damage was not as severe as yours to start with. I noticed cracking along 2 of the rollers on 1 slide. My warranty was expiring that month so I took it in right away.

The RV repair shop put in stainless steel plates for all rollers on both slides as a preventative measure because they believed the problem was going to eventually start affecting the slides in different places. They said the issue was caused by the slides not being leveled evenly when installed to distribute weight across all of the rollers. So over time, the weight of the slides just started cracking through the floor due to not being evenly distributed. Jeff Hood approved paying for the plates to be installed for all rollers. It was around $1000 I believe.

This work was completed in 7 days from start to finish (diagnosis, ordering parts, getting approval and performing the work on both slides). It's been 2 months and so far it seems to be holding. I think perhaps the repair shop you are at is struggling. Have you considered taking it somewhere larger that may know what they're doing more? Mine was done at Rocky Mountain RV in Albuquerque, NM.
I've attached a picture so you can see what it looks like now.
Attached Images

Old 04-30-2017, 05:16 PM   #16

if you look under your rv, you can see small recessed indentations from where the rollers sit. perhaps the ones that are deeper are of course our warning signs on how much loading (weight) they are receiving. those are the ones that need our eyes on.
Combatcoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 05:45 PM   #17

My warranty has expired and I've already paid $2,000 for the initial repair. I have thought about going to another Repair shop, but I have a good relationship with people here. They are not a small dealership either, have a beautiful brand new 20 bay dealership/service facility. I spoke to Jeff Hood personally he didn't give me the impression that he'd heard of this problem with the FR3 slides before. He seemed perplexed. Thanks Mjessie, I'll pass along the information you gave me! Once this is fixed, I will seriously consider trading this RV in for a Winnebago. I should have done more research on this slide design. They all have problems, I know, but this is a poor design in my opinion.
Old 04-30-2017, 07:16 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheresiaC View Post
Why do we even need steel strips? Does this solve the problem? These are my questions.

I feel it's a good fix by spreading the load out. Giving the rollers a wider runway. I know l could install these my self if FR would send them to me.
Old 04-30-2017, 07:17 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjessie View Post
In my case, the damage was not as severe as yours to start with. I noticed cracking along 2 of the rollers on 1 slide. My warranty was expiring that month so I took it in right away.

The RV repair shop put in stainless steel plates for all rollers on both slides as a preventative measure because they believed the problem was going to eventually start affecting the slides in different places. They said the issue was caused by the slides not being leveled evenly when installed to distribute weight across all of the rollers. So over time, the weight of the slides just started cracking through the floor due to not being evenly distributed. Jeff Hood approved paying for the plates to be installed for all rollers. It was around $1000 I believe.

This work was completed in 7 days from start to finish (diagnosis, ordering parts, getting approval and performing the work on both slides). It's been 2 months and so far it seems to be holding. I think perhaps the repair shop you are at is struggling. Have you considered taking it somewhere larger that may know what they're doing more? Mine was done at Rocky Mountain RV in Albuquerque, NM.

I've attached a picture so you can see what it looks like now.

How thick is the material they used? Can you tell? Also how wide is it?
Old 04-30-2017, 07:18 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne and sherry View Post
How thick is the material they used? Can you tell? Also how wide is it?

Also where did they order this material and dose your invoice show how much it cost?

Tags
roo, slide