Old 05-30-2017, 05:56 PM   #1

FR3 25DS

Just wondering how many other 25ers are on the forum. Have not seen any on the road in 2 yrs. Maybe in a couple more yrs. ours will grow into a 30 ft also.

jogalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 06:05 PM   #2

We got ours in September. Love it! Our retirement/vacation cabin. It's just big enough.

Old 05-31-2017, 08:47 PM   #3

Got ours 2014, over 25000 miles
Have never seen another one on the road
Not a bad class a, but need to improve / change how it drives
Have enjoyed modifying/ adding items to it
svwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 11:08 PM   #4

We have a '14 25DS. Ive got mine driving pretty good now. Went with the CHF then added airlift to the front end. Planning to do the back end this winter. Saw another on I-24 on Saturday June 3rd going east. Second one ive seen besides ours. Ive been stopped on several occasions at gas stations with folks asking about the rig. Seems many want something smaller but not giving up too much.
KY25DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 04:28 AM   #5

Our FR3 DS25 was purchased new in September of 2014.

Just two adults and a yellow lab makes the size ideal for comfortable cruising across the country.

After driving half way cross the country we stopped at a relatives place and performed the CHF because I couldn't take it anymore. Drove way better, but not great due to the 100 to 100 psi I was using in the tires. Once the tire pressure was set to a more reasonable 80 psi. Then the ride really improved, until the rear sway link broke off and made driving the coach a nightmare of constant corrections at the steering wheel.

FORD made it a nightmare to get fixed under warranty, just 30 dollars worth of parts required, but it took 3 trips to the FORD dealer to effect a repair. Once repaired, the handling returned to acceptable range. There are many clever handling fixes offered to the public for super high prices, not sure the cost /benefits ratio is worth the trouble. With stock sway bars, it's obvious the rear end needs more sway bar stiffness for more comfort.

The shocks are really pretty good for the small 16000 GVWR size of the DS25.

Also LOVE the right turning radius and ease of parking into tight places.

Getting ready for our second big trip and added a lot of upgrades onto our DS25, most important for us was to add a DILL tire pressure management system. It reports tire pressure and the heat measured in the tires carcass for the 9 wheels we had to monitor including the trailer tires and a spare. Seen some scary video of the aftermath of a RV tire blowout, it gives me the willies! That video convinced me to buy the DILL system.

Could not live with a smelly wet slinky sewer hose and installed a macerator to make system drainage more of a civilized operation.

One great upgrade was going to a set of EXIDE GC-145 golf cart deep cycles, they just bolt right in without much difficulty. After adding a 3000 watt inverter, we should not have to run our generator for TV/MICROWAVE/computers/ice makers/appliances/toasters.

With our trip this summer, AC performance is on our radar, and once again FORD has made it difficult, they finally agreed , after three visits (again), the compressor was locked up solid and wasreplaced and purged then a refill of virgin refrigerant. Temperature delta at AC cab vents are now at 25 degrees, about what I can expect from this feeble cooling apparatus. We are being told the best way to cool off is to section off the interior with curtains, so we are going to add two, right behind drivers seat, the other to section off the bedroom area making for three zones to assist the coach cool the areas we will be using. Also bought a large amount of foil window reflective blankets to reflect the heat back out into space.

Saving the best for last, added a Banks Cold air intake and a super sized RV muffler. Now the DS25 sounds like a real bus going down the highway.

If I have time, installing a HAM radio system and a CB radio as well.

Forgot about the garage sale find of a 4ft square Formica top, we plan to install next to captains chairs for a real nice table to eat and socialize on.
repsolgamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 08:51 AM   #6

We took ours out to MOAB last August. We did the foil/bubble wrap on all windows and also on the internal crank up vents in main cabin (bathroom has a fan i installed in it. We leave our overhead bunk in the down position as we have chesterdrawers (plastic sterilite) 3x3 drawers on it. I added a bar with curtains on it to draw across when parked to help reduce heat. We find the captains chairs very difficultto turn around. To stay cool we just run the generator and the a/c while driving along with the ford AC running.

Ive got a macerator but havent installed it yet. Just added a 2 gallon accumulator and it is wounderful for water pressure and to take out all the surging and also the drop in pressure when the wife uses kitchen sink while im in the shower. Was easy to install and now the water pump runs much less often.
Old 06-06-2017, 05:29 PM   #7

Only running 80psi? I am running 100psi in mine an have had 2 tires blow in 2 yrs so far. Am I running to high? Theres only my wife an I traveling so we do not carry that much stuff, Just worried a little as we are planning a trip soon also.
Old 06-06-2017, 10:19 PM   #8

80 PSI

82s' the number on the FR delivered doorplate that tells you the minimum PSI.

Very possible I am overcompensating for driving 8000 miles at 100 PSI and just pounding down the road in the most un-comfortable of a trip across the country.

So now the dash is re-inforced, stopping the rattle. The tires now at 80, ride is most comfortable, but far from perfect. Not sure how much comfort to expect when riding on what is basically covered wagon spring suspension!

Not sure about your tires, they are always the wildcard in any trip. That's why I installed the DILL TPMS, just to give me some visibility into the health of the tire belts and carcass. We hit some REALLY big potholes on our last trip to Maine, crossing bridges over rivers throughout the east coast. Was expecting some damage that never arrived. Either 100 PSI Saved my bacon, or my opinion I was just lucky.

Going back to Maine this year, lets hope the TPMS and tires hold up the entire way. Would like a spare tire, but with few places to store it and the cost, think I will just take my chances since our total mileage is still only 13,000 miles.

Feeling prepared makes the trip that much more fun for me.
repsolgamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 05:15 PM   #9

80 or 100psi

Sorry, I am confused. Are you now using 100psi? I do not have a tpms as yet but probably will in the very near future. I do have a spare stowed in the cargo bay, tire only no rim attached, will never travel again without one. Just searching for that happy medium on the pressure. Thanks for responding.
Old 06-07-2017, 07:38 PM   #10

I dont carry a spare wheel but i do carry a spare tire. I welded a holder to the hitch and made a cradle for the tire. I would not go inside the largest rear hatch. Ordered one from online and had it shipped in. Now i dont have to worry about waiting days for some local tire shop to have one shipped in. Since i only tow a dolly with a mini cooper on it the tongue weight is very low. I carry spare dolly tire/wheel snd spare mini tire and wheel nested in center rear storage compartment. Since i added airlift to the front i have an onboard compressor (in water tank area next to water pump) and have air tank in the storage bin just in front of the tank. Now have 2 gallon accumulator in that same storage bay next to air tank. I run the eezrv tpms with fill through sensors to keep from having to take them off to fill/deflate.

Oh and i run my tires at 90 psi...for the weight i run this is what the tire maker shows amd feels great with the air suspension. No white knuckles.

Tags
25ds