Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2015, 06:31 PM   #1

FR3 30DS 2015 fresh water tank size?

How many gallons is the fresh water tank on a 2015 30DS? Cuz ours seems to empty very fast and if l over fill it, the stream from the over flow like wont stop till the tanks almost empty. Twice now when we thought the fresh water tank was full, both by visual and by gage, and then like 6hrs later come back to JeNNY all dirty from playing and then jumping into the shower to rinse off quickly, this isn't our 1st RV, we know how to Navy shower, just a few minutes into the shower the water runs out. I'm not sure yet but l feel this time it's damaged the water heater!!😕 I thought the fresh water tank was like 58 gallons..?

JeNNY (2015 FR3 / 30DS)
2000 Jeep TJ Moab Rock Crawler
2013 Jeep JK
wayne and sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 07:11 PM   #2

The problem is the overflow (vent) line is creating a syphon when you overfill the tank. This also can happen if the tank is full, you are driving, the water is sloshing around and creates a syphon. It was a bad design and FR knows about the problem, they recommend putting a couple of loops in the vent hose where it connects to the fresh water tank. I tried it and it didnt really help much so I installed a fill/vent on the side of the motorhome, well above the height of the fresh water tank and it works great. See attached pics. I actually took it a step further and installed a larger 75gal. fresh water tank with the appropriate connections for water fill and venting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150528_171421.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	78376   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150528_171449.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	78377   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150528_171512.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	207.4 KB
ID:	78378  
Saxony1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 11:13 PM   #3

Saxon is it my understanding that you turned the stock overflow line into your "New" fill/vent line? What did you do with the "stock" fill line? I'm sorry but the photos are a bit hard to see.

JeNNY (2015 FR3 / 30DS)
2013 Jeep JK
Old 05-28-2015, 11:34 PM   #4

My setup is now a bit different than stock because I installed a new tank with new fittings. That being said the easiest fix for a stock setup would be to reroute the overflow/vent to a higher location. The way FR has done it from the factory it comes out of the top of the tank and down through the compartment to underneath the rig. If you take the line from the top of the tank and route it up, through the floor and out the side, problem solved. Gravity can no longer create the easy syphon like it does now. You could get a fresh water fill/vent door like the one I installed or you could get a marine style vent to go out the side. Everything else would remain the same, the fill drain etc. all these lines would not be touched.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	116m141.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	78403  
Attached Images

Old 05-29-2015, 03:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne and sherry View Post
How many gallons is the fresh water tank on a 2015 30DS? Cuz ours seems to empty very fast and if l over fill it, the stream from the over flow like wont stop till the tanks almost empty. Twice now when we thought the fresh water tank was full, both by visual and by gage, and then like 6hrs later come back to JeNNY all dirty from playing and then jumping into the shower to rinse off quickly, this isn't our 1st RV, we know how to Navy shower, just a few minutes into the shower the water runs out. I'm not sure yet but l feel this time it's damaged the water heater!!😕 I thought the fresh water tank was like 58 gallons..?

JeNNY (2015 FR3 / 30DS)
2013 Jeep JK

So here's the quick fix while on a trip.

The exact same thing happened to us on a "dry" camping trip. I filled the tank and the overflow would not stop. Nothing was breaking the siphon, so I took a sharp knife and sliced a small hole on the top of the hose near the connection, and that let enough air into the hose to break the siphon. Problem solved. We were able to wash dishes and take navy showers, and the tank lasted for three days after that.
Landshark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 03:21 AM   #6

FR3 30DS 2015 fresh water tank size?

Saxony1, I like your idea of installing a larger water tank with a better fill/vent location. I'm going to think about doing that as well..
Landshark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 06:04 AM   #7

How many gallons of water dose the stock tank hold? Is the fresh water tank size smaller on the 25DS compared to a 30DS? Reason l ask is because if at production of a 30DS they run out of fresh water tanks could they then rob from the 25DS parts supply to keep the production going??

JeNNY (2015 FR3 / 30DS)
2013 Jeep JK
Old 05-29-2015, 08:17 AM   #8

Here are the capacities for the 2015 FR3 30DS, the capacities for the 25 and 28's are the same as the 30:

Fresh Water 57 Gal
Grey Water 41 Gal
Black Water 41 Gal
Water Heater 6 Gal
Towing 2016 Chevy Sonic LT
TLAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 11:10 AM   #9

Saxony1, Do you have any details on the larger water tank install? I'm curious as to what is involved installing a larger tank.
KansasFR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 12:06 PM   #10

Yes please give us the information as I too would like to install a larger tank.

BTW, FR fix for the over flow is to add a longer hose and coil it three times on top of the tank before taking it out the bottom. As explained this way the water cannot get to the point of draining by siphon.
b1barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 10:08 AM   #11

You can order the tank through American RV Company (talk to Haroon). It is a 75 Gallon made by INCA plastics. Not terribly difficult to install, just undo the existing connections and pull the tank from the driver side compartment. Slide the new one in and hook up the lines (see attached pics). The fill door will get cut in to the side of the coach for the 1 1/4" fill and vent line to attach. I had a local automotive paint store make up a can of aerosol paint to match the exterior color so I could shoot the plastic door, looks factory. I also installed an accumulator tank at the same time which helps with water flow (less pulsating) when running the pump. The only negative with the whole thing is you loose a small amount of space from the drivers side bin (see pics) but that was worth it to me!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	New Water Fill - Vent.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	78534   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fresh Water Tank Connections.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	194.7 KB
ID:	78535   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fresh Water Tank Connections 2.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	232.0 KB
ID:	78536   Click image for larger version

Name:	Driver Side Fresh Water Tank.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	150.2 KB
ID:	78537  
Attached Images

Old 05-30-2015, 10:19 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1barnes View Post
Yes please give us the information as I too would like to install a larger tank.

BTW, FR fix for the over flow is to add a longer hose and coil it three times on top of the tank before taking it out the bottom. As explained this way the water cannot get to the point of draining by siphon.
Am I missing something here? Why go to the expense of adding another tank or changing the tank? Pick up a couple of plastic 5 gallon water jugs that tent campers use. Dump them, or pump them into your main tank when it gets low.

As for the syphoning problem, I have a short length, 12 to 15 inches, of hose I attach to my fell hose. This slides into the fill pipe but does not screw on. This prevents the main tank from building up pleasure and stops syphoning.

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 08:33 PM   #13

I'm going to attach a T fitting I have right at the point of the vent hose off the tank. This T fitting that would be at the bottom of the letter T, but that would stick up. It that threads and a cap on that part of the T so I'll just keep that cap loose and that would allow a vent to prevent the siphoning affect. If that makes any sense?

JeNNY (2015 FR3 / 30DS)
2013 Jeep JK

Tags
fresh water, tank, water, water tank