Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2013, 08:27 PM   #1
Motoring

FR3 30DS Challenge

We have a new FR3 sitting in our driveway. We're all checking it out. Submit any questions that I can answer until about 1:00 PM Eastern time and I will try to answer them. I'm a new RV'er, but I can answer questions about dimensions and other things.

grotto
grotto69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 06:17 PM   #2

Since you have had your unit since Sep. 2013…how are you liking it…pro's and con's. Mike
blessingsdf44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 06:42 PM   #3

I've had mine for about a month or so, but I love it! The ultimate in comfort!
PhotoMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 06:53 PM   #4

Thank you for your quick reply…
blessingsdf44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 07:25 PM   #5

We moved up from a 2013 travel trailer to the 2014 30DS. I'm still getting used to the steering as it has a bit of play, but I am loving everything about it!
Old 11-23-2013, 07:42 PM   #6
Motoring

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessingsdf44 View Post
Since you have had your unit since Sep. 2013…how are you liking it…pro's and con's. Mike
This week will be our first trip. We live in the Georgia and we're going North to Pigeon Forge TN for Thanksgiving. I have spent the past few weekends learning how to take care of basics. Winterizing and adding in shelves to the cabinets, broom closet and medicine chest. I think that is all I noticed that was "missing" (some shelving)

I don't know that I have all the pros and cons, but I can tell you some things.

I believe the Ford Chassis is going to be as quality as any other RV on that Chassis, FR didn't make the Ford chassis this rides on. The only quality that FR controls is the coach. Most of the appliances and other components are manufactured by other companies. For instance, the Dometic Fridge is just as good as any other RV w/ that same model.

I believe for the price we paid we got a lot of RV. I know for a fact some of the components are on the low end. But for any component you can upgrade them, but wait until they go out (could be many years). The low price entry point gets you on the road. It's not a $250,000 coach. But if some of the appliances or components go out you can upgrade them over time to better quality and they're have their own warranty periods.

This is the first year that the FR3 came to market so you won't get any kind of "had it for 10 years and still running great" stories.

I have a feeling that if your willing to put some care into it and conscientious about adding better quality components it will save you money to buy this RV over the alternative.

We spent 3 months looking at campers, Class C's, and thought about what it would be like to spend any amount of time in one. We ended up with a list of things that we absolutely had to have if we were going to put down that kind of money and the FR3 was it. It had everything on our list and then some things.

Good luck!

Grotto
grotto69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 10:56 PM   #7

Thanks Grotto!
We're going to Georgia next summer, to bring my 91 year old mother to meet her great-grand-children that she has never met. We were trying to find a way with the travel trailer, but that wouldn't have worked.
The FR3 has so much more than I would ever have suspected we would have. In 12 years my wife can retire and we plan on going full time in the RV. I am retired (medically at least) and the coach is much more to my ability level. We were only looking at the coaches as a dream builder for her retirement, but things seemed to work out pretty well. We did take a loss on our trade in, but I am much happier with the FR3.
Old 02-22-2014, 02:21 PM   #8

Can you tell me the make and model of the kitchen flip down TV support bracket? I'm thinking of getting the same one for the bedroom. Thanks
Gem Hunters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:54 PM   #9

I'm waiting for my FR 30DS to return from getting serviced. When I get it I will verify the bulb types for converting to LED and I will try to get the intel on the TV support bracket. I like the brackets on the bedroom TV, in that it slides up to remove and although the outside bracket is different, it also just slides up to remove. I hooked up HDMI cables to all three TV's to make hooking up my phone or Chromecast to the TV's super easy!
Old 02-26-2014, 07:59 PM   #10

Quick question about your Chromecast... Do you run it from a JetPack or just from your phones 3G? Also do you plug it into the face of the entertainment center, or to the backside of the TV, which would then become enclosed with the TV down for viewing. I wanted to buy one, but I was unsure... Plus, does since you might know, doesn't it take a lot of data to stream movies or TV shows? We have a pretty good plan and never even use half our data, but we usually only do music and some YouTube clips.

Thanks in advance!
Pam
Pammyjams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:59 PM   #11

Right now I have been using it on my home WiFi but I plan on getting a VPN set up so I can use any available WiFi. Currently if I want to watch something at camp, I hook my HDMI from my phone right to the TV. The resolution this way isn't the best because it's going through the phone, but with ChromeCast the resolution is awesome. I don't know about the jetpack, but will look it up!
Old 02-26-2014, 11:07 PM   #12

I just checked out the jetpack and the reviews and data issues would be prohibitive. Also it's Verizon and they don't like me since I got then in trouble with the FCC and the FTC.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:41 PM   #13

I have a jetpak from Verizon. It really rips up the data when streaming movies, videos and such.
OKI Marine is offline   Reply With Quote