Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2017, 11:00 PM   #1

FR3 30DS Maxx Fan Install

We recently bought a 2014 FR3 30DS. I want to install 3 Maxx Fan Deluxe Fans into the coach, but conveniently this coach is not pre-wired for vent fans. I do not have any aluminum sheets to look behind, only styrofoam and more Styrofoam. I think my options are:

1. Tap into the power of the light that is just outside of the shower then run 3 wires to each of the 3 locations.
- Concerns are the amps might be too high to run 3 fans?
--It seems like the max amps the fans would draw is 4.7 amps at start up = 14.1 amps (assuming I started all three at the same time) plus the 2x 921 bulbs (which I will be replacing with LED shortly) (.1 amps x 2 bulbs) so I should be good on a 15 amp breaker...correct?

2. Somehow find a way to run wires from the house battery, up through the corner in the closet, then through the roof to center and then down the coach to each fan location.

Has anyone done a full install on the FR3 30DS?

Thanks!
boarf16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 08:37 AM   #2

This is the same post done twice?
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 08:45 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
This is the same post done twice?

Yep, I wasn't sure if it would be better in the electrical section regarding asking about the amperage question or the FR3 with regards to the wiring options in the FR3.
Old 05-24-2017, 12:29 PM   #4
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

Quote:
Originally Posted by boarf16 View Post
We recently bought a 2014 FR3 30DS. I want to install 3 Maxx Fan Deluxe Fans into the coach, but conveniently this coach is not pre-wired for vent fans. I do not have any aluminum sheets to look behind, only styrofoam and more Styrofoam. I think my options are:

1. Tap into the power of the light that is just outside of the shower then run 3 wires to each of the 3 locations.
- Concerns are the amps might be too high to run 3 fans?
--It seems like the max amps the fans would draw is 4.7 amps at start up = 14.1 amps (assuming I started all three at the same time) plus the 2x 921 bulbs (which I will be replacing with LED shortly) (.1 amps x 2 bulbs) so I should be good on a 15 amp breaker...correct?

2. Somehow find a way to run wires from the house battery, up through the corner in the closet, then through the roof to center and then down the coach to each fan location.

Has anyone done a full install on the FR3 30DS?

Thanks!
Our '14 30DS was not prewired either. Here's what I did to get power.

Living area: Got power from light next to vent opening. Yes, the main light switch needs to be on to get power, but we just turn off lights at fixture if not needed.

Bedroom: Got power from 12V hot wire before light switch. Ran wire up behind molding through ceiling to vent opening. You'll need to fish a hard wire puller through the styrofoam to be able to grab wire at wall. Switch does not have to be on for fan to work.

Bathroom: Got power from light fixture in ceiling. Switch has to be on for fan to work (turn light off at fixture). Easier to do this way in my opinion.

Hope this helps.

Curt & Isabel, & 9er (our Goldendoodle)
2014 Forest River FR3 30DS (Beasty)
2014 Honda CRV EX-L (toad)

drivmsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 08:09 PM   #5

Awesome thanks for the info. You said you ran the wire from before the switch... the switch is on the left wall, so you went up the wall then across the ceiling? How did you get from the switch up the wall and run it to the vent?
Old 05-24-2017, 08:12 PM   #6

I thought about the same, but my kiddos are small and won't be able to turn the light on in the bathroom, so I will probably have to tap it into the light by the shower.
Also was it difficult to run a wire pulled through the foam? I have an extendable fiberglass rod slightly less than the diameter of a pencil.
Old 05-25-2017, 01:23 PM   #7
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

Quote:
Originally Posted by boarf16 View Post
Awesome thanks for the info. You said you ran the wire from before the switch... the switch is on the left wall, so you went up the wall then across the ceiling? How did you get from the switch up the wall and run it to the vent?
I had to pull the corner molding and pull away the paneling. I used a 1/2" long drill bit to go through the foam. It took a little time but eventually made it. Then used a wire puller to bring the wire to the opening.
You could probably to the same thing in the bathroom. Didn't worry about the grand kids reaching the switch at the fixture because we usually only use that fan when showering. Just need to be sure to use the always on 12V wire.

Curt & Isabel, & 9er (our Goldendoodle)
2014 Forest River FR3 30DS (Beasty)
2014 Honda CRV EX-L (toad)

drivmsafe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fan