Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2017, 01:51 PM   #1

FR3 30Ds Questions/Observations

We finally saw a 30DS in person at an RV show. On paper, the FR3 was a top contender for us despite being an entry level coach. But in person we had some concerns. I promise, I'm not trolling when I say we thought the A.C.E was better on several fronts.

My wife noticed the drawers in the galley were very short. Maybe a foot deep. Is there a reason for that? There appears to be room for standard length drawers. I'm sure you couldn't fit a standard cutlery tray or utensils in the drawer. Seemed rather useless for kitchen drawers.

There isn't much storage in the galley/living area either. The A.C.E. had bigger drawers, bigger cabinets and doors and more of them. There was a bank of cabinet above the sofa and dinette but the FR3 only had them over the sofa. I understand the cheap hinges as opposed to residential style hinges but the cabinet doors just flop open and hang there instead of lifting up and being supported in some manor.

Those issues were a major bummer for us. There's a lot to like about the FR3 but my wife was having a hard time trying to mentally fit our kitchen stuff into the galley and we don't plan on taking much. I won't say these issues are a deal killer but...

What are your experiences? Are we missing something? Do you also find there's a lack of storage?
danjennevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 02:03 PM   #2

We chose the FR3 over the Thor because of the inside appearance, happy wife, happy life. My husband made a custom cutlery tray to fit the drawer.

We chose the 29DS because of the shower toilet combo, it's just the 2 of us so we have enough storage.

Good luck with your search.
Luannr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 02:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luannr View Post
We chose the FR3 over the Thor because of the inside appearance, happy wife, happy life. My husband made a custom cutlery tray to fit the drawer.

We chose the 29DS because of the shower toilet combo, it's just the 2 of us so we have enough storage.

Good luck with your search.
Thought of that but the short drawers seems like a big miss unless there's something back there that prohibits longer drawers. A few square feet of plywood and longer hardware aren't that much more money.
Old 03-12-2017, 08:02 PM   #4

I just went out to measure on our 15' 30DS and the usable space in all 4 drawers is 17" in length. We have a standard cutlery tray and it holds normal spatula/tongs/etc. We find there is actually enough storage for the three of us. We just finished turning the space behind the bedroom TV into a storage locker/WiFi hotspot. There is storage under the dinette seats too, in case you weren't aware. Which ever one that you pick has to suit your taste in floor plan. There isn't much in changing that. Everything else like hinges can be changed. Good luck shopping.
Old 03-13-2017, 05:39 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by danjennevada View Post
We finally saw a 30DS in person at an RV show. On paper, the FR3 was a top contender for us despite being an entry level coach. But in person we had some concerns. I promise, I'm not trolling when I say we thought the A.C.E was better on several fronts.

My wife noticed the drawers in the galley were very short. Maybe a foot deep. Is there a reason for that? There appears to be room for standard length drawers. I'm sure you couldn't fit a standard cutlery tray or utensils in the drawer. Seemed rather useless for kitchen drawers.

There isn't much storage in the galley/living area either. The A.C.E. had bigger drawers, bigger cabinets and doors and more of them. There was a bank of cabinet above the sofa and dinette but the FR3 only had them over the sofa. I understand the cheap hinges as opposed to residential style hinges but the cabinet doors just flop open and hang there instead of lifting up and being supported in some manor.

Those issues were a major bummer for us. There's a lot to like about the FR3 but my wife was having a hard time trying to mentally fit our kitchen stuff into the galley and we don't plan on taking much. I won't say these issues are a deal killer but...

What are your experiences? Are we missing something? Do you also find there's a lack of storage?

The big issue with our 2015 FR3 30DS are outlets. And heating ducts. There are only 4-5 outlets and the locations suck, and only 3 heating ducts for the entire motorhome.
wayne and sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 05:41 AM   #6

Quote:
we finally saw a 30ds in person at an rv show. On paper, the fr3 was a top contender for us despite being an entry level coach. But in person we had some concerns. I promise, i'm not trolling when i say we thought the a.c.e was better on several fronts.

There isn't much storage in the galley/living area either. The a.c.e. Had bigger drawers, bigger cabinets and doors and more of them. There was a bank of cabinet above the sofa and dinette but the fr3 only had them over the sofa. I understand the cheap hinges as opposed to residential style hinges but the cabinet doors just flop open and hang there instead of lifting up and being supported in some manor.

Those issues were a major bummer for us. There's a lot to like about the fr3 but my wife was having a hard time trying to mentally fit our kitchen stuff into the galley and we don't plan on taking much. I won't say these issues are a deal killer but...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5724.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	400.0 KB
ID:	131725Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5729.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	452.9 KB
ID:	131726
Old 03-13-2017, 12:20 PM   #7

We went to look at Georgetown GT5's and GT3's. They both had the same short drawers. Weird. Must be a Forest River thing. They all have the drop down cabinet doors too. Another FR quirk.

We're not at the counting outlets stage but I hope the GT5 has more 'cause we really like it.

Wayne and Sherry, nice rig and nice Jeep. Do you full time in that? And why aren't you flat towing?
Old 03-20-2017, 06:05 AM   #8

Quote:
We went to look at Georgetown GT5's and GT3's. They both had the same short drawers. Weird. Must be a Forest River thing. They all have the drop down cabinet doors too. Another FR quirk.

We're not at the counting outlets stage but I hope the GT5 has more 'cause we really like it.

Wayne and Sherry, nice rig and nice Jeep. Do you full time in that? And why aren't you flat towing?

My Jeep is on 37x12.50x20 SST Pro off road tires. Flat towing would ware out those tires fast.
We're not full timers.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:07 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne and sherry View Post
My Jeep is on 37x12.50x20 SST Pro off road tires. Flat towing would ware out those tires fast.
We're not full timers.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5971.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	418.8 KB
ID:	132279
Old 03-20-2017, 06:00 PM   #10

Quote:
We're not full timers.
Oh, yeah. You have point there. We're only on 33's.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:44 AM   #11

The floor plan and pull out, not jack knife, sofa bed made the difference for us. We have an 18yr old, 240lb disabled manchild that sleeps on it and the FR3 has plenty of space for the 3 of us to travel and chill comfortably. We've also tailgated in 100 degree heat with 8 adults comfortably partying inside. Best 30' floorplan out there IMHO.
Antone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 10:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Oh, yeah. You have point there. We're only on 33's.

Nothing to cry about, sure would love to see a pic of your jeep
Old 04-02-2017, 01:18 AM   #13

Quote:
The big issue with our 2015 FR3 30DS are outlets. And heating ducts. There are only 4-5 outlets and the locations suck, and only 3 heating ducts for the entire motorhome.

We are in Canada. We sure need the heating ducts. But we bought two 29 dollar space heaters that work beautifully
We have four ducts. Bedroom , bathroom( which we blocked off over half ..the kitchen and one on the steps. Weird eh.
colourful64 is offline   Reply With Quote