Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2014, 09:45 AM   #1

FR3 30DS Steering Stabilizer

Being our first motorhome, I as surprised with how loose the steering feels. Driving down the road, I am continually adjusting the steering wheel.

I am considering having a steering stabilizer installed. Has anyone installed on on their FR# yet?
Albert1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 05:56 PM   #2

Albert,
We have the Coachmen Pursuit which is simular to the FR3. First check your tire pressures. We found the dealer must have missed checking them and they were between 20-30 psi low when we picked ours up. Then ask them to have the front end alaignment checked. On ours the tow in was off by 1/2". These two things made a huge difference in the way it drove. When we first picked it up it felt like I was driving on smooth ice. Also check out the iRV2 forum site for cheap handling fix on the Ford chassis section. This will help with some of the wonder. Our unit was on the 18,000 lb chassis so ir already has the front stabilizer bar. Might look at the tiger track bar for the rear. Good luck.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Forest River Forums mobile app
FROG Member
FMCA Member #F438633 - Good Sam Life Member
Coachmens Owners Group Member
ResQfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 03:24 PM   #3

Yes, get a wheel alignment
My fr3 was way out, in fact, the mechanic said it bordered on unsafe
svwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 06:39 PM   #4

Alignment helped my FR3, but beware of the Cheap Handling Fix. Several people have looked into it and posted that their dealer said it would void their warranty.
spicyrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 06:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert1950 View Post
Being our first motorhome, I as surprised with how loose the steering feels. Driving down the road, I am continually adjusting the steering wheel.

I am considering having a steering stabilizer installed. Has anyone installed on on their FR# yet?
I will say two things here, which are purely my opinion only.

1. While the alignment has been mentioned (and should be checked, because Furd will IIRC give you one on the house within a year of purchase, only catch is finding a dealership that can service the HD stuff), I dont think its the root of your problem. Probably worth checking, but probably not the solution.

2. Since you mentioned "loose" specifically, and not pulling to one side, wandering, tramlining etc, Ill submit that you may not be used to a steering box of this type. The pinion angle for the box itself, and the amount of caster do not lend themselves to superb steering feel, and I think that comes as a shock to most people who drive a 450/F53 chassis motorhome for the first time.

YMMV and all that, but mine doesnt feel any better/worse than the big trucks and 18 wheelers or toterhomes Ive driven. Small adjustments on the wheel are necessary because of the steering box, but also because of the weight and tires of the vehicle and how they interact with the road.

That said, tire pressures and alignment are always worth a check.
cucamelsmd15 is offline   Reply With Quote