Old 09-20-2016, 10:47 AM   #11

I've just came back from five days of dry camping without dumping or refilling. The secret is...
1. Camp shower every other day till the last day
2. Baby wipes
3. Keep a bucket in the shower for the first few seconds. Clean dish water and toilet flush.
4. Of possible use the camp head
I could have gone another day, granted this is with just two adults.

Old 09-20-2016, 01:00 PM   #12

We've done 6 days with two adults.

Note that tank capacities may not be as stated. While my FR3 in fact has a 41 gallon grey tank, it overflows at 36 gallons in the shower. I've had conversation about this with FR to no resolve. I suspect the drain pipes are glued too far into the tank creating air pockets. I calculated that 1" insertion into that tank of all drains can reduce the usable capacity by about 6 gallons.

Old 09-20-2016, 02:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadiddle View Post

Note that tank capacities may not be as stated. While my FR3 in fact has a 41 gallon grey tank, it overflows at 36 gallons in the shower. I've had conversation about this with FR to no resolve. I suspect the drain pipes are glued too far into the tank creating air pockets. I calculated that 1" insertion into that tank of all drains can reduce the usable capacity by about 6 gallons.
Oooo! I like the mathematical approach you took to figure that out. L*W*1" = X cu. in = 6 gallons. The key would be: what length of pipe should be exposed to the naked eye to determine how much pipe is actually intruding into the tank. Then the math follows, right?

Theo
Old 09-20-2016, 02:26 PM   #14

Location: Minnesota ( wishing we were boondocking in the New York Catskills )
Climate permitting, these are wonderful gadgets ...

A simple arrangement of S-hooks and a couple low-rent pulleys (think, poor mans block-and-tackle) makes raising it overhead easy. If you have ladder, just set flat on roof in the AM ... hot by afternoon.

Also, if you consider using degradable soaps etc. no reason you couldn't consider dumping your GREY water if locale / environment is tolerant of such. An improvised dry well might be another option for grey disposal.

We carry separate fresh water (gallons from store) for coffee / drinking / cooking so those uses don't impact our water tank capacity. We also schlep along a couple of the big six gallon plastic jugs to stretch things further.

Jeff and Abby
Fur Babies - Xandra Sophia (GSD) and Neo (Min-Pin Mutt who thinks he is a cat)
2015 Tracer Air 235 (previous 1994 Veri-Lite 1130 TC)
1998 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab - 360 - 46RE (Built)
Jeff_and_Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 03:51 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadiddle View Post

Not surprising that it overflows at 36 gallons. We are in the market for our first motorhome (We like the FR3 30 DS) and one thing I have learned from the forums is that tank capacity is generally only about 85% of what is state by the manufacturers. So capacity of a 41 gallon tank ( based on how it is configured as you noted) is approximately 35 gallons.
Old 09-20-2016, 04:26 PM   #16
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Safety View Post
Not surprising that it overflows at 36 gallons. We are in the market for our first motorhome (We like the FR3 30 DS) and one thing I have learned from the forums is that tank capacity is generally only about 85% of what is state by the manufacturers. So capacity of a 41 gallon tank ( based on how it is configured as you noted) is approximately 35 gallons.
that's because the 6 gallon difference is in the water heater.
that total tank capacity also includes the water in the water heater.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 04:34 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
that's because the 6 gallon difference is in the water heater.

that total tank capacity also includes the water in the water heater.

Wouldn't that total be included in the freshwater capacity not the gray water of black tank capacity?
Old 09-20-2016, 07:42 PM   #18
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Safety View Post
Wouldn't that total be included in the freshwater capacity not the gray water of black tank capacity?
My mistake, I thought you were talking about the FW tank.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 09:44 PM   #19

fresh water tank

2017 32ds fresh water tank when level has alot left in it, due to exit on the side of tank being at least 1/2 inch up from bottom. I would guess there to be a minimum of 5 gallons left in it when the pump simply wont pull anymore out? Does anyone have experience in how to get the water left out? The only thing I can think of is manually leveling entire rig to the side of the exit spout or wedging up the tank permanently to the exit side of fresh water tank. My other concern in upstate ny will be having this much water left in the tank during winter storage.
Old 09-21-2016, 06:03 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnower View Post
2017 32ds fresh water tank when level has alot left in it, due to exit on the side of tank being at least 1/2 inch up from bottom. I would guess there to be a minimum of 5 gallons left in it when the pump simply wont pull anymore out? Does anyone have experience in how to get the water left out? The only thing I can think of is manually leveling entire rig to the side of the exit spout or wedging up the tank permanently to the exit side of fresh water tank. My other concern in upstate ny will be having this much water left in the tank during winter storage.
Folks here have reported plumbing the supply line to the pump, into the drain line of the fresh water tank.

The drain is usually on the bottom of the tank.

Opening the drain line should ease your concerns about water in the tank over winter as well.

TST Tire Monitor - Sinemate 3500w Gen.
2016 Nights Camped = 46
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking