Old 09-21-2016, 07:16 AM   #21
I wouldn't worry too much about any left over water in the tank, so long as you drain the water out of the low point drain. This is what we did here in Kansas last winter and everything went well. Just make sure you run antifreeze through your plumbing, including your outdoor shower. Run some in your black/grey tanks, more so for the sake of the valves than the tank (should be empty).

2015 FR3 30DS
KansasFR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 09:15 AM   #22
A little more about the grey tank responding to some replies here. The story is actually a little longer than I originally posted. Hopefully some will like the additional detail.

Because my previous motorhome reported 1/3 grey full after only a little water was used, we ran a test to know exactly how many gallons triggered each light. So, with the new motorhome, ran the same test - just to know - no witch hunt. This is when I discovered the lower usable capacity.

The dealer had to repeat the test because FR would not believe my test. They got only a 1 gallon higher result, still well below 41 gallons. While doing their test, water leaked into the compartment behind the passenger rear wheels (what we call "Door #4). They immediately said the grey tank is leaking before checking any fittings and ordered a replacement. I got to explicitly measure that tank for it's dimensions. The tank was stamped 41 gallons and my calculations with assumptions on material thickness came in at 40.7 gallons.

I could not repeat the leak and refused to have my coach torn apart for a grey tank replacement without a definitive diagnosis OR to just get the same capacity back. So, my conclusion was the drain pipe insertion distance, which, one cannot examine without taking the pipes out of the tank. Maybe some day, especially if I get another leak, I'll take apart the bathroom/bedroom wall and disassemble/check the pipes (seal integrity and depth).

The grey tank capacity does not include anything else (e.g. water heater). As one cannot get their hands inside the tank, I can only imagine that the seal of a pipe to the tank is drill a hole, stick in the pipe, and use glue. If there is no specification of insertion distance (or it's ignored), the tank usable capacity will vary.

2015 FR3 30DS
2010 Ford Escape Toad
Kadiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 11:12 AM   #23
I drain my water tank about 1/2 way before freeze up. That way there's room for ice expansion

wayne and sherry is offline   Reply With Quote