Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2015, 05:53 AM   #1

FR3 construction

I am looking at moving to a FR3 possibly. I currently have a Freelander and I am curious about the build (structure)of the FR3. I read in another thread that someone had visited the factory, but i can't find that thread.
What I'm interested in is data like what Coachmen gave out in their brochures (materials, sizes); sidewall, roof, floor, and they mention a front steel cage.
Any info would be greatly appreciated
Freelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 06:16 AM   #2

If it helps any, click on the home tab and scroll down to the FR3 button and look under there.

The Home of the FREE because of the BRAVE
LittlePM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 08:00 AM   #3

Thanks LittlePM, that's where I originally read it, but it was in a thread under a title I don't remember. I was hoping the original poster may see this, or anyone else that can answer this.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:36 AM   #4

I have 2014 fr3 .30 ft for sale. 3400 miles. Asking 69900.00
mikijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 09:12 AM   #5

I may be the one you are referring to as I did visit the factory last year. What I saw at the factory was a very dedicated work force that really hustled. The people were very proud of the assembly jig they used to combine the componets to ensure that everything aligned perfectly. With the exception of the cabinetry just about everything was out sourced from other venders in the Elkhart area most notably the walls. The chassis are delivered to the assembly facility with all the extensions, brackets and flooring supports already installed. Driving thru Elkhart I was amazed at how many of the names we associate with the RV industry are based there both RV Coach manufacturers and component companies. My 2015 30DS has been a very enjoyable ownership experience.
z3406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 09:47 AM   #6

Thank you z3406,
Yes I think you are the one who posted the info. I'm specifically looking at the 28DS (love the floor plan). Did you get any info on the build, walls/roof etc., in particular materials, thicknesses, and the front steel cage.

Thank you for the info mikijohn, but I'm only specifically interested in the 28DS.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:04 AM   #7

The 28DS did not exist when I went on the tour. I have no specifics on the materials other than the only material I saw being used on the coach was steel. The chassis are placed in a special jig, the chassis is very precisely leveled and the prefabbed walls and roof are attached with bolts. The front cabs are preassembled with the windshields bonded in place and fully cured before they moved to the line, the windshields are attached with the automotive system no rubber gaskets around the edges. The coaches are batch built, the day I was there they were making Georgetowns. I have enjoyed the 30DS it has been basically trouble free and reliable but as I posted elsewhere I am in the process of trading it in. FR3's are built to a very attractive price point and frankly I think it is the best coach out there in that at that price point. I would not hesitate in recommending any FR3. BTW do the Cheap Handling Fix the improvement in driveability is well worth the effort.
z3406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 10:29 AM   #8

z3406 thank you again.