Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2019, 12:23 PM   #1

FR3 Entry Step

Hello - So this weeks problem is our electric entry step in our FR3 25DS motor home.
All of a sudden we can't get the entry step to stay in the extend (out) position when we are parked and we want the step to stay out.
I understand that the step will extend & retract when the switch is in the "on" position, however, when the switch is in the "off" position the step should remain extended even when we shut the door.
What I'm trying to get at is that every time we open & close the entry door the step won't stay extended even though we deactivated the step by turning the switch to the "off" position. Anyone else have this problem? Thanks for the help. This forum is great.
CindyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 12:36 PM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyG View Post
Hello - So this weeks problem is our electric entry step in our FR3 25DS motor home.
All of a sudden we can't get the entry step to stay in the extend (out) position when we are parked and we want the step to stay out.
I understand that the step will extend & retract when the switch is in the "on" position, however, when the switch is in the "off" position the step should remain extended even when we shut the door.
What I'm trying to get at is that every time we open & close the entry door the step won't stay extended even though we deactivated the step by turning the switch to the "off" position. Anyone else have this problem? Thanks for the help. This forum is great.
I don’t have your exact problem, but in the meantime, if you look under the steps, with the door open so the steps stay out, you can remove the inline fuse once you’re at the campground. It’s a temp fix to keep them out.
I suspect your control board might be in trouble.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 01:09 PM   #3

What are your steps, Lippert or Kwikee?
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 01:12 PM   #4

The Kwikee steps stay extended with the door closed with the step switch "ON" not off. Lippert steps keep the steps extended with the door closed with the step switch "OFF" not on.
Old 11-30-2019, 01:15 PM   #5

I suspect you have the Kwikee variety and inside the Battery Control Center box there is a fuse (typically the far right one) that supplies logic to the step controller for when the step switch is "ON" to keep the steps extended with the door closed. It may not be the far right fuse as the fuse line up changes checking them all is advised (15 amp fuse typically).
Old 11-30-2019, 01:25 PM   #6

This is a Battery Control Center box. It typically is located by the coach batteries.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sdc.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	388.7 KB
ID:	220042  
Old 11-30-2019, 03:45 PM   #7

Are the keys in the ignition? There is an override that retracts the steps when you start the engine regardless to step switch position.
Towing 2016 Chevy Sonic LT
TLAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 05:11 PM   #8

Ignition interlock is correct; however, the engine doesn't have to be started, the ignition just has to be on (first switch position).
Old 11-30-2019, 05:43 PM   #9

No matter what position the switch is in the steps extend and retract when the door opens or closes.
Old 11-30-2019, 05:44 PM   #10

No the keys were not in the ignition.
Old 11-30-2019, 05:46 PM   #11

Don't know what kind of steps they are. I'll check when we get back to our RV. We've been out shopping most of the day today.
Old 12-07-2019, 03:29 PM   #12

For Quickee steps

If your fuse is good, you can also remove the panel where the On/Off switch is to see if the connector fell off the back of the switch. I had this happen to the awning switch
Old 12-08-2019, 03:09 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatesMotel2 View Post
If your fuse is good, you can also remove the panel where the On/Off switch is to see if the connector fell off the back of the switch. I had this happen to the awning switch
Yes, if either wire becomes disconnected from the back of the switch, the steps will not remain extended. It is pretty easy to open that panel and check.
2015 fr3 30DS, added 2nd A/C-Heat Pump, both A/C have EasyStart, Auto Transfer Switch, CHF with Hellwig Links, Progressive Power Management, TPMS, Blue Ox True-Center, Koni Shocks, HID Headlamps, LED Foglamps, Pioneer Stereo, Keyless entry, Auxiliary Cooling Fans for A/C Condenser, dashcam front-rear, Yokohama Tires, air ride seats, onboard air compressor, 3000 watt hybrid Victron inverter Venus Generator Control, centramatic wheel balancers
Hogq is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fr3