Old 11-03-2015, 01:15 PM   #11

My Sunseeker revs high like that too I'm stopping by the Ford garage when I pick mine up from Rv dealer to drop off let them check everything out and check for any updates on motor or transmission I don't like using rpm's that high for very long

Boso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 03:16 PM   #12
The V10 develops peak torque at about 3200 rpm. For climbing hills that's where you get the most "oomph" to get to the top.

Sun seeker 2009 2600 Ford V10

Zooming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 04:04 PM   #13
I went to Banks and got a Program that changes the shift pattern. Use to get a 10 mile an hour spread between going down hill and up hill. Now, drops 1 mile an hour and starts to accelerate. If the grade is steep it will go to 4800 rpm, but doesn't jump there right away like before. Also helped mileage.
A32Deuce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 04:11 PM   #14
That sounds interesting. It is unnerving when the RPM jumps especially on low grade hills. I feel like I'm being shot out of a cannon.
PublicChilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 04:29 PM   #15
I guess I can understand your concerns of "high rpm". But it ISN"T high. 5000 RPM is nothing. You can certainly develop the same pulling power via trans shift points but guess what, go the same speed you will be at a lower RPM but at a corresponding higher point in torque. High RPM (the RPM we are talking about here.) is nothing and causes no damage. Now lets talk about torque. It beats the rod bearings, the crank, rings, cylinder tops and more. If it takes 300HP to move it up the hill, you can do it with 300 lbs of torque at 5200+ RPM, or you can do it at 450 lbs of torque at 3000+ RPM. Where is the engine taking the most beating? At 450 lbs of torque. At 5200 the only thing getting worked hard is the muffler. The engine, trans and ECU were designed to give you the most efficiency and life expectancy. You can buy lots of different shift kits, you can re-program the Trans shift points and engine rev limiters. All to your dismay. Follow the owners manual and common sense and you will get the most life out of your drive train.
Jim and Katy
w/ Shelby and Sealy (Bernese Mountain Dog and a Nice Mut)
EE, IBMer, Race Car Builder, now Retired.
Jim Schings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 06:59 PM   #16
That 6.8 in the FR3 is not the same one that's in our Sunseekers and Foresters.This motor makes more hp
i2015 sunseeker 3050s. 2007 saturn aura
Boso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 07:39 PM   #17
Soon after buying my GT, I got tired of seeing 5,000rpm and the screaming engine noise. After a lot of research and an equal amount of trial and error, I learned at least two important things some of which you will find in other posts:
1. The cruise control is far too aggressive in its attempts to return to the set speed. As noted above, use it for relatively flat terrain and it will reduce most of your high rpm excursions.
2. Driver technique has a lot to do with it...more than you would think. Having grown up around muscle cars in the 60s and 70s, I developed a "lead foot". To compensate, I've learned to accept slower accelerations, anticipate hills and to be satisfied with somewhat slower speeds on inclines. Practice these techniques and I believe you'll reach your destination with a lot less stressed out.
2015 GT 364TSF
Vince and Charlette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 07:53 PM   #18
Jim, after reading your post 15 I have to wonder why you stated in an earlier post you didn't agree with my RPM is your friend, not your enemy statement.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 08:02 PM   #19
F53/V10 rpm

I have a Georgetown XL with that V10 engine. I found a gear that pulls the hills without max rpm's. Select tow/haul mode,then at 60mph slightly accelerate and feel the transmission shift. Now you can accelerate up the hills without shifting and those loud/high rpm's. I nearly never use cruise control. Way to much shifting on the slightest of hills. It's easier to control rpm's using the tow/haul mode and the gas pedal.
Dc8mdtmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 08:16 PM   #20
Glad to hear that the higher rpm's are not going to cause damage. Made it to the mountains in New Mexico. Going up, was only able to push 45 to 50 mph at 3.5 to 4 grand. Now, having heard for you all, will try pushing the gears and rpm for a higher climbing speed.
My FR3 30DS 2013 is about loaded near max to about 18,500 lb. I live full time in it and have all that is left from living in a home. (From last time I had it scaled)
Still have a problem with side winds above 60 mph.

Ron C
2013 FR3 30DS
From Iowa on US tour!

Ron Chamber is offline   Reply With Quote