Old 11-01-2015, 10:07 PM   #1

FR3 Ford V-10 rpm?

What is the safe zone for running the motor up hills and down?
FR3 30DS 2013 - my normal running rpm at 65 mph is 2 1/2 grand on my tach. ( flat road - no wind ). Up hills in Cruze control, it has dropped gears down to push rpm up to 4 grand at 55 mph. Going down hill it has done the same.
What is considered safe operating rpm for the motor?

Ron C
2013 FR3 30DS
From Iowa on US tour!

Old 11-02-2015, 06:21 AM   #2

as far as what's safe, the PCM (computer) will handle that. There are RPM limits in the software. As far as normal, yes. Those are normal RPMs for a gas MH or pickup towing a trailer.

davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 10:34 AM   #3

I have the same concerns while it is downshifting going up or down hill in either tow haul or in cruise, it seems to high of RPM's, just don't care to have it rev. so high, I try to take it out before it jams it self into second gear, the sync seems to be out of wack (to me anyway), if I run the cruise at 63mph, it seems to do pretty good with some of the hills, but on the 5 to 6% I try to take it off cruise. and going down I slow down and start early with the to haul,,,
hammer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 01:05 PM   #4

It's not too high at all. 4K RPM's is normal for that engine going up or down a 6% grade. It is designed to run at that RPM all day long if need be, although that would not happen in real life. RPM's are your friend, not your enemy.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 04:03 PM   #5

X2 (all except for that RPM is your friend comment.) It would be nice if you could stay below 3000 RPM all the time, but with a gas IC engine and getting full use of volumetric efficiency, economy and HP, it is not practical.

I believe the rev limiter in the ECU is set at just below 5800 RPM. The valve train and oil systems will accommodate well over 6000+ safely. You are fine.

BTW, There is no SAFE ZONE that you have control over to operate in. The ECU's have safe RPM limits, speed limits, engine temp limits and torque limits built in to the system. Go as fast as you want. It won't allow you to hurt anything. Not something you want to try and break, but no normal use is going to hurt the engine drivetrain.
HAM CALLSIGN - AI4SR
EE, IBMer, Race Car Builder, now Retired.
Jim Schings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 04:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Chamber View Post
What is the safe zone for running the motor up hills and down?
FR3 30DS 2013 - my normal running rpm at 65 mph is 2 1/2 grand on my tach. ( flat road - no wind ). Up hills in Cruze control, it has dropped gears down to push rpm up to 4 grand at 55 mph. Going down hill it has done the same.
What is considered safe operating rpm for the motor?

Ron C
2013 FR3 30DS
From Iowa on US tour!
Hi Ron,

Just drove my Forester back from Ohio towing my Jeep. I found that I only wanted to use the cruise control on flat ground. When going up hills with the cruise ON, the down shifting was very aggressive and it is startling when you are all of the sudden, and needlessly, buzzing 4000 rpm or more. I find I can control the rpm range better with my foot, and keep the engine in a more consistent range.

I also love the tow/haul mode (turn cruise OFF). Going up hills it keeps from downshifting so aggressively and lets you control the downshifting and RPM range a little better.

I went down several 7% grades and the tow/haul mode lets you use the engine braking by just tapping the brake once to downshift. It was nice to use the engine braking to go downhill at 55 to 60 MPH and not have to use the brakes.

As for RPM range, the engine makes peak HP at 4750. As Jim Schings said, the engine valve train is more than capable of handling it. Use the tow/haul mode when not on flat ground (cruise only on flat ground) and I think you'll find it to be a nicer experience.

Scott
Old 11-03-2015, 06:26 AM   #7

Usually when I pull long hills, I'll turn the OD off so it doesn't keep popping in and out. If it starts up/down shifting a lot, I'll force the transmission into 2nd gear and hold about 4000 - 4500 rpm .

The constant up/downshift probably bothers me more than the tranny.

Same downhill, drop out of OD and maybe even slow down with a manual downshift in order to keep from building up speed.

Remember E = MC(squared). Doubling the speed requires four times the energy to stop.

There is a good rule to follow, never go down a hill faster than you went up.

Old 11-03-2015, 07:55 AM   #8

Let it sing...

2008 F350 CCSB V10
2016 Sabre 36QBOK
Old 11-03-2015, 08:16 AM   #9

These engines and trannys are built to work. Prior to my FR3 I had a Chevy Silverado Duramax/Allison combo until it was stolen and recovered as just the combo 6 mos later. That got us into the FR3. Anyway, the Chevy combo went N/B down the grapevine (I-5, CA) in cruise at 45 with a 28ft TT loaded and never hit the brakes. Haven't tried it with the FR3, but going up and down the 243 to/from Idyllwild, CA this past weekend had me wondering if the Ford could work like the Chevy. I'm not sure it can do as well, but it did well enough, very little braking and the RPMs stayed at a reasonable level in tow/haul mode. It was our second local mountain trip and the tow/haul works great for mountain roads. However on local rough as all get out CA freeways, in cruise control I did not like the agressive downshifting uphill to maintain speed and agree it's better without the cruise control.

Antone

2015 Forest River FR3 30DS - No Ragrets

Toad - 2011 Jeep Wrangler
Old 11-03-2015, 10:57 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by waiter21 View Post
Remember E = MC(squared). Doubling the speed requires four times the energy to stop.
Nope, Einstein's Energy Equivalence formula have anything to do with it. However, it does make your post SOUND more scientific.

<"Doubling the speed requires four times the energy to stop.">

Nope again, and not even calculable from that statement. However, the energy required to accelerate to a given speed at a given rate, and the energy required to stop from the same speed at the same rate, is exactly the same.
(Actually a bit less, since air resistance is always slowing you down...)

BTW, I see you are from Toledo. I was born and spent most of my youth there. What part of town are you from?

HAM CALLSIGN - AI4SR
EE, IBMer, Race Car Builder, now Retired.
Jim Schings is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford