Old 07-12-2016, 12:17 AM   #11
Had mine for over a year now and never had the bunk drop. Even on some of the rough roads to and from the Oregon and Washington coast no issues. My magnet mounts on the roof are very loose and was told to leave them this way as if they are tight and don't wobble the bunk will fall.

2016 FR3 30DS and a
97 Jeep Wrangler that follows me to close
Cigarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 02:43 PM   #12
My bunk used to fall all the time. I loosened each screw one full turn and the bunk has never fallen since.

2015 FR3 30DS
2006 Wrangler X
Gatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 04:16 PM   #13
Originally Posted by Gatch View Post
My bunk used to fall all the time. I loosened each screw one full turn and the bunk has never fallen since.
The screws that hold my upper bunk are not loose, but the magnets are a bit wobbly. I believe it was designed that way from the onset to compensate for some flex and some jarring on the road.

My lag screw was pulled completely out of the wood block that is in turn screwed to the ceiling. That wasn't cause by design and it sure wasn't caused by normal bobbing around and the occasional pot hole. The screw was ripped out of the wood because of the Interstate 90 in Montana is so bad that it completely failed. I'm surprised the head of the screw didn't snap off.
The bunk never came back down after we got off of that goat path I-90

I am going to make something that keeps it from ever falling again.
2015 FR3 30 DS
1995 Wrangler
Miles 3708
Days Camped 28
twojump36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 08:32 AM   #14
Another reason I went to epoxying in the magnet bases is when they were loose, the noise from the rattling drove me nuts. Perhaps only mine was noisy but after fixing the dash rattles, these rattles became more of a nuisance. So the wood dowels actually helped me reduce noise as well.
Jim & Beth
Indianapolis, IN
2015 FR3 30DS
2013 Honda CR-V
JBDALHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 04:55 PM   #15
Curiouser and Curiouser
We, like you, were on the road when this happened to us. We stopped by Ace hardware. They had the dowels and the feet in either cream or black. Ace even cut the dowels to size for us. We rubbed the wood down with Olde English dark, let it sit for an hour or so and put on the rubber feet. My measurement was perfect for one side but was a little short for the other side. A inside the foot solved the problem and with 3,000 additional miles everything continues to work fine.

Finch is offline   Reply With Quote