Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2016, 10:28 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 1
FR3 Front Bunk Supports

On our 2015 FR3 30DS, the wood screw holding the passenger side magnet broke on the way home from Cali. A piece of the screw is stuck in the ceiling. Anyone have a fix for remounting the magnet. (In the future, I will add the secondary supports made of wooden dowels.)
__________________

__________________
Chas-and-Rho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 05:03 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
twojump36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Keizer Oregon
Posts: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas-and-Rho View Post
On our 2015 FR3 30DS, the wood screw holding the passenger side magnet broke on the way home from Cali. A piece of the screw is stuck in the ceiling. Anyone have a fix for remounting the magnet. (In the future, I will add the secondary supports made of wooden dowels.)
My passenger side magnet pulled out of the ceiling while on I-90 in Montana last week....
The whole screw and magnet came out. I was able to screw it back in but I have a feeling it is a temporary fix.

You may have to move your magnet slightly and re screw it into that little wood block. Just be sure not to use too long of a lag screw.
__________________

__________________
2015 FR3 30 DS
1995 Wrangler
Miles 3708
Days Camped 28
twojump36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 01:54 PM   #3
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING
 
drivmsafe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Southern California
Posts: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by twojump36 View Post
My passenger side magnet pulled out of the ceiling while on I-90 in Montana last week....
The whole screw and magnet came out. I was able to screw it back in but I have a feeling it is a temporary fix.

You may have to move your magnet slightly and re screw it into that little wood block. Just be sure not to use too long of a lag screw.
Got really tired of the front bunk falling. Magnets never did come unscrewed or anything. The bunk would just drop off magnets so I decided to prop them up to alleviate the problem. Very easy to do with 1" round stock and chair leg bumpers.
Sorry about the pic. The top is to the left of the photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0604.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	216.6 KB
ID:	113561  
__________________
Smooth Roads, and, Drive 'em Safe

Curt & Isabel, & 9er (our Goldendoodle)
2014 Forest River FR3 30DS (Beasty)
2014 Honda CRV EX-L (toad)

drivmsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 06:18 PM   #4
Member
 
JBDALHB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Indiana
Posts: 30
Had the same problem of the magnet screw pulling out. Reset by screwing back in and using 4000lb epoxy. Also did the same mod as drivmsafe. No more problems.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	255.0 KB
ID:	113581  
__________________
Jim & Beth
Indianapolis, IN
2015 FR3 30DS
2013 Honda CR-V
JBDALHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 07:54 PM   #5
Curiouser and Curiouser
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Keizer, Oregon
Posts: 50
Don't know whether this will help or not but we ran into another FR3 owner while on vacation. We both had experienced the same bunk dropping issue. The dealer told him, that the magnets should not be tight to the ceiling so that there was play when as coach flexed while driving. The other owner told us that this had fixed the issue. I did not try this, preferring to use the dowel fix which works once and for all but it is food for thought.
__________________
Finch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 12:45 PM   #6
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING
 
drivmsafe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Southern California
Posts: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finch View Post
Don't know whether this will help or not but we ran into another FR3 owner while on vacation. We both had experienced the same bunk dropping issue. The dealer told him, that the magnets should not be tight to the ceiling so that there was play when as coach flexed while driving. The other owner told us that this had fixed the issue. I did not try this, preferring to use the dowel fix which works once and for all but it is food for thought.
The magnets on our FR3 were slightly loose. This was told to me by FR and others on this forum. The bunk still dropped. Thus the addition of the dowels as others have done. Best idea that totally works. 👍🏻
__________________
Smooth Roads, and, Drive 'em Safe

Curt & Isabel, & 9er (our Goldendoodle)
2014 Forest River FR3 30DS (Beasty)
2014 Honda CRV EX-L (toad)

drivmsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 12:25 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
twojump36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Keizer Oregon
Posts: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBDALHB View Post
Had the same problem of the magnet screw pulling out. Reset by screwing back in and using 4000lb epoxy. Also did the same mod as drivmsafe. No more problems.
Where did you find the material?... the rod and the rubber end caps?

That looks like what I need. I was going to try a shower rod. The type that is adjustable. I want something that looks ascetically correct in there and the wood looks better than a shower rod for sure.
__________________
2015 FR3 30 DS
1995 Wrangler
Miles 3708
Days Camped 28
twojump36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 01:10 PM   #8
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING
 
drivmsafe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Southern California
Posts: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by twojump36 View Post
Where did you find the material?... the rod and the rubber end caps?

That looks like what I need. I was going to try a shower rod. The type that is adjustable. I want something that looks ascetically correct in there and the wood looks better than a shower rod for sure.
Home Depot
__________________
Smooth Roads, and, Drive 'em Safe

Curt & Isabel, & 9er (our Goldendoodle)
2014 Forest River FR3 30DS (Beasty)
2014 Honda CRV EX-L (toad)

drivmsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 01:41 PM   #9
Member
 
JBDALHB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Indiana
Posts: 30
Got my stuff and the stain which matches the unit perfectly at my local Ace Hardware.
__________________
Jim & Beth
Indianapolis, IN
2015 FR3 30DS
2013 Honda CR-V
JBDALHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 04:22 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
TLAK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Chicago
Posts: 108
After a season without trouble the bunk came down while we were driving a couple weeks back. Wife raised the bunk until the electric moter stalled and it never came down again. I guess it wasn't fully in the 'up' position.
__________________

__________________
2015 FR3 30DS
Towing 2016 Chevy Sonic LT
TLAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bunk

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:11 PM.