Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2014, 07:02 PM   #21

Does the front led lights / awning led switch run off coach batteries or chassis batteries? iE. Are you drawing down the starting battery while running the awning LEDs? or are you pulling converted DC off the converter while plugged in?
Technorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 01:33 PM   #22

In order to deal with the LED awning, and headlight issue being connected to the same switch, I had a local RV mechanic disconnect the front headlight LED's from it.

He suggested plugging them into the headlight switch wire. So now, when the headlights go on, the front LED's go on as well (and no, it's not too bright at all). Now the LED light switch on the dash controls the awning lights only. No need to buy another switch. Both are totally separate now, and it works great.
Landshark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 09:58 PM   #23

Wow any pics of this LED mod? How do you plug the headlight LED into the headlight low beam or what ever headlight wire you taped into and how.

JeNNY (FR3/30DS)
wayne and sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 09:47 PM   #24
Saltyrod

Send a message via Yahoo to saltyrod
Do you know how he did the connections, ie, hooking led to low beam? just got a 2016 28ds. However, I would like to separate the awning lights and headlight led rings. Thanks in advance.
saltyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 01:13 AM   #25

Hi Guys, I'm not exactly sure how he did it. I'll try and take a few pics when I have a chance and report back to you. All I know is that it works and those LED's are no longer shining on everyone in front of us when we're parked. That was a very silly design if you ask me.
Old 04-10-2015, 06:19 AM   #26
Saltyrod

Thanks, you had a great idea, can't wait to see your pics!
Old 04-11-2015, 06:30 PM   #27

Any pics on the LED / Headlight mod?

JeNNY (2015 FR3 / 30DS)
2000 Jeep TJ Moab Rock Crawler
2013 Jeep JK
Old 04-12-2015, 12:17 PM   #28

Boy. I peeked at the wires for the headlights and LED's and buckets, I'm a compleat chicken when it comes to wires. I don't see myself touching any of that.

JeNNY (2015 FR3 / 30DS)
2013 Jeep JK
Old 04-13-2015, 07:42 PM   #29

For those, especially svwc, that put a switch in to control the awning LEDs separately, I'm curious what you used for power. Did you just hook the switch to +12V? Did you need a current limiter (as LEDs sometimes do)? Where did the power come from?

BTW, new to the forum and have a new 2015 FR3 30DS. Changing mirrors, vents, and other things and hope to be more active in this forum......
Kadiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 08:31 PM   #30

I tapped into a constant hotwire near the stairs and ran it to the positive side of a 12v switch that I put in the cover behind the passenger seat. Sealed the old hot wire (that is connected to the dash switch for the LED lights). Now as I step out I just hit the switch near the floor and have awning lights. And hit the dash LED switch for DRL's.

MSG (Ret)
U.S. Army
Active-duty 66-92
2015 FR3 30DS
fpo1123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 08:43 PM   #31
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

Hey Kadiddle.... Are you going to install electric mirrors? Would love to know how that goes and what brand/style mirrors you use.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Curt & Isabel, & 9er (our Goldendoodle)
2014 Forest River FR3 30DS (Beasty)
2014 Honda CRV EX-L (toad)

drivmsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 03:35 PM   #32

The easiest fix for the LEDs is to cut the grey wire that supplies power to the LEDs. Tape the supply end and use a wire-tap connector to connect the other end of the wire to the running lights.
KYSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 08:35 AM   #33

That gray wire, is it the only one bringing power at all the LED's in the headlights?

JeNNY (2015 FR3 / 30DS)
2013 Jeep JK
Old 04-15-2015, 10:06 AM   #34

I still like the LED lights, just rather have them not so bright. I plan on putting a resistor inline to lower the voltage to the LED lights. This should lower the intensity to a point where its not annoying to fellow campers at the CG, but still makes the rig stand out from the crowd. :-)
KansasFR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 12:00 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpo1123 View Post
I tapped into a constant hotwire near the stairs and ran it to the positive side of a 12v switch that I put in the cover behind the passenger seat. Sealed the old hot wire (that is connected to the dash switch for the LED lights). Now as I step out I just hit the switch near the floor and have awning lights. And hit the dash LED switch for DRL's.
Can you explain a little more. I am confused
colourful64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 04:34 PM   #36

Fr3 LED Headlights

The lights are just a weird set-up, we added our own LED multi colored lights with a remote for the awning just next to the factory ones. He is going to also add a separate switch.
Fbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 10:33 PM   #37

LED halo with resistors

So tonight I tried several different resistors to see if I can tone down the intensity of the LED Halo/3 LED lights. What I came up with was using a 675 Ohm resistor on the white wire (gnd) from the headlight cluster, it makes the 3 LEDs quite tolerable. At 2.2KOhms, the three LEDs are turned off. They come on around 975 Ohms, but very dim. Around 675 Ohms, and they seemed to be balanced with the halos. They are the main reason the LEDs are so over powering. I might see if I can tone down the fog lamp LEDs, but they aren't as bad as the pics make it out to be. I know pics don't do any justice when it comes to headlights and such, but here are two pics. First is the stock, and the second is with the resistor. Enjoy.

KansasFR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 09:43 AM   #38
Saltyrod

Chanding mirrors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadiddle View Post
For those, especially svwc, that put a switch in to control the awning LEDs separately, I'm curious what you used for power. Did you just hook the switch to +12V? Did you need a current limiter (as LEDs sometimes do)? Where did the power come from?

BTW, new to the forum and have a new 2015 FR3 30DS. Changing mirrors, vents, and other things and hope to be more active in this forum......
Please let use all know where you get the mirrors, I've been looking w ith no luck! Saltyrod (FR3 28DS)
Old 04-19-2015, 07:52 PM   #39

Wait... Are you saying you can't have the awning LED light strip on without those lights on the front being on? That's messed up. Any chance of adding a dash switch to turn off the front lights? Somewhere those 2 sets of lights have to be spliced together.
KJcachers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 12:14 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne and sherry View Post
Wow any pics of this LED mod? How do you plug the headlight LED into the headlight low beam or what ever headlight wire you taped into and how.

JeNNY (FR3/30DS)

Here are some instructions as promised.

Cut the connection that goes to the dash (It's the grey wire). Then hook the LED's up to the parking light circuit. The parking lights go on when you turn on the parking lights or headlights switch, so the LED's turn on the same way. Here are some pictures to illustrate.

Attachment 74944Attachment 74945Attachment 74946

Tags
led, light