Old 02-02-2014, 03:03 PM   #11

Inverter, pt 2

In my previous installment, I had pulled the control wiring, mounted the inverter, and installed the remote switch. Now its time to hook it up. I used 2AWG. I had to crimp some ring terminals on to get the lengths right. Again, if this isnt something youre experienced/comfortable with doing, or dont have the tools to do, its probably left to a professional. You wont crimp copper 2AWG terminals with hand crimpers, thats for sure.

Here is where I mounted the fuse block. Its attached with self tapping screws on the angle iron support right beside the battery bay.

Next, I ran the rest of the wiring to the proper locations. Notice I used the 12v from one battery and Neg from another one.

Now its time to plug it all in. The 120v side is a 12/2 stranded outdoor rated wire that I pulled through the back of the bin, and along the frame rail to the gas tank. Behind the gas tank, the wire makes a 90* bin into the rear most storage bay on the power cord side.

You can see where it runs up through the bottom of the bay to the added box here.

The plug is a NEMA TT-30R. I put it in this location for a reason, but you can see that it will accept the RV plug as is. See the loom hanging right above it? Thats important.

That plug is for the converter charger.

Ill detail how the setup works in part 3.

Old 02-02-2014, 03:12 PM   #12

Inverter Part 3.

So, you might remember I said I purchased a 600w inverter. Reasoning was two fold, really.

First, we dont dry camp much, since most campgrounds/racetracks have at least 15a power that we can use. And that will run most hairdryers, a space heater, microwave, fridge etc. In order to be able to run the microwave, you would need a 1000w minimum, and probably 2000w to run it comfortably. And even then, the batteries included from FR wont last long. It is what it is.

Second reason was money outlay. The smaller inverters are significantly cheaper than the more expensive, more powerful units, or even a combined inverter/charger.

Our main use was to run the TV/Blu Ray player so my daughter can watch TV, run a Crock Pot, and charge the cell phones, laptops, tablets and whatnot. For that purpose, it works great. Previously, I had pictured the plug for the converter/charger. I placed my outlet in that location as a reminder to unplug the converter/charger. Running off the inverter, it would be 12v>120v>12v and, well, its not a perpetual motion machine. It will, however, drain the batteries with haste.

So, the way its currently setup is...

When running on inverter power:
Charger/converter unplugged
Microwave unplugged (vampire drain)
A/C off
Fridge on gas

When on generator/shore power:
Inverter off (using remote)

It technically wouldnt hurt anything to leave it on if you were on shore/generator power since the RV would be plugged into that, but I always turn it off.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:21 PM   #13

Is it safe to say that the inside bulbs are BA9S and the outside bulbs are BA15 on a 2014 FR3 30DS? My unit is in for service (defective seat belt on the drivers side) and body work on damage when it came in from Forest River, so I can't check the bulb types and I wanted to look into ordering some online.
PhotoMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 07:09 PM   #14

I'd say that's a safe bet.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:02 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cucamelsmd15 View Post
When running on inverter power:
Charger/converter unplugged
Microwave unplugged (vampire drain)
A/C off
Fridge on gas
I still don't have my rig back yet, but was wondering how easy is it to get to the plug for the microwave? I'm thinking it would be a matter of removing screws, etc
Old 02-28-2014, 10:18 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoMaster View Post
I still don't have my rig back yet, but was wondering how easy is it to get to the plug for the microwave? I'm thinking it would be a matter of removing screws, etc
Easy. Its plugged into the single outlet in the cabinet just to the left. That's a dedicated circuit too (handy if you're running two space heaters).
Old 03-02-2014, 08:05 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by cucamelsmd15 View Post

Easy. Its plugged into the single outlet in the cabinet just to the left. That's a dedicated circuit too (handy if you're running two space heaters).
Do you need to pull the microwave out to get access or is there an access panel?
Old 03-02-2014, 08:13 AM   #18

Just above the micro is there a panel just as long as the micro and say 4-6 inches high?

If so can you see any screws holding it from the side or the top and bottom?
Old 03-02-2014, 11:04 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoMaster View Post
Do you need to pull the microwave out to get access or is there an access panel?
Neither. It looks just like a regular outlet in that cabinet.
Old 03-14-2014, 03:14 PM   #20

Thanks Cucamel! The outlet was where you said it was.

Where have people put their inverters? I wouldn't want it near the cabin batteries as water could be splashed up on it and the outside dampness can't be good.

Tags
cat, inverter, led, modifications