Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2016, 10:35 AM   #1

Fr3 no external water filter

We just went through the problem of anode sand in water line system that clogged the sinks and toilet. I noticed that the 2016 FR3 30 DS has no external water filtering system. (We filter fresh water with hose filters) If a filter is permanently installed before the the water pump do you think it would correct this contamination from the anode sand? Will the hot water damage the filter? Cleaning the hot water tank is still a must, but if the anode rod does its job the lines will always be vulnerable. Any other fixes or prevention out there? If water filtering is the answer which one would you recommend? Thanx and safe journeys.

DavidMPDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 11:14 AM   #2

WOW! You mean know one has installed a water filter in there 30DS? And there is no way to filter the anode sand from system?

Old 05-13-2016, 08:02 AM   #3

I believe most of the issue is the small bits of plastic left in the water tank when they drill the connections. It seems like it takes a year or so to clear all that crud out. We went through last summer with no issues until this last trip when the toilet wasn't spraying water out like usual. I ignored it for a couple days and it fixed itself. And I don't think its the hot water tank that is the issue, since the toilet clogged being on the cold water supply side. You could put a filter on the cold water side coming out of the water pump fairly easy I'd think. I just don't think its worth the effort. Just me though.
KansasFR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 08:13 AM   #4

If there is a factory installed water filter other than the small one between the water tank and pump it is a whole house filter and all cold water passes through it be it from either shore or pump on its way to faucets, toilet, water heater etc.. At least that's the way it is supposed to be plumbed.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 08:35 AM   #5
Pickin', Campin', Mason

You mentioned, your problem stems from the sand/grit from the anode rod in the water heater.

A filter BEFORE the pump (like you asked) won't eliminate that debris from coming out of the tank and going into your plumbing because the debris originates from the water heater itself. It would only filter the water going into the tank. Same goes for a filter AFTER the pump.

You would have to put a filter on the outlet side of the water heater to catch that debris and BE SURE it is rated for the high temperatures seen at the water heater outlet.

EDIT: *HERE* is a link to a high temperature water filter.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 12:06 PM   #6

Fr3 no external water filter

This seems odd to me. I understand how manufacturing debris gets in the lines and clogs but the anode sediment doesn't seem right. I probably haven't but will experienced it yet. But each fall I remove my anode and flush the tank out completely with a home made hose. It gets all the particles out and I haven't yet had a problem.

And my fall anode rod is usually 70% gone.

2014 FR330 DS
Technorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 12:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technorick View Post
This seems odd to me. I understand how manufacturing debris gets in the lines and clogs but the anode sediment doesn't seem right. I probably haven't but will experienced it yet. But each fall I remove my anode and flush the tank out completely with a home made hose. It gets all the particles out and I haven't yet had a problem.

And my fall anode rod is usually 70% gone. I put in a new one (rod) each spring.

2014 FR330 DS
Is is it.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1463159360.784539.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	107745

2014 FR330 DS
Technorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 02:24 PM   #8

http://roadtrek190popular.blogspot.com/?m=1
Not an FR3, but a very informative blog regarding a dyi installation of an inline filter behind an RV toilet.
leisurelarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 10:57 AM   #9

Thank you all for the reply back. I talked to the dealer and they said "yes" it was the anode sand I agree "How?, in the toilet ?" Well I guess I will try and figure this out. Noticed it was a debate on a earlier post with no real solution or explanation how. Since I am new to motor homes I was unaware that the heater tank needed to be flushed and checked often "at least twice a year". I'm still trying to figure out where and what type of water filter to install into the rig since the FR3 doesn't come with one from the factory. Thanks leisurelarry on the article, very informative. Technorick I made me one now thanks. Has anyone installed a permanent water filter system into their FR3? If so can you post pictures? Maybe I am over thinking this? Should I be or is it a concern that there is magnesium or aluminum anode sand in the water lines? If the anode is doing it's job, it seems there will always be particles in the fresh water lines. 5picker I will look into this filter thanks.

Old 05-15-2016, 09:59 AM   #10
edm

DavidMPDK, first of all I have had very littl anode erosion and I have seen no problems with it. The anode is in the bottom of the tank and the hot water is taken of of the top of the tank. Unless there is a tremendous amount water going through the tank I can't see it being flushed through the system.
I installed a filter system in my FR 3 that will filter all incoming water to my system. I filter my tank fill water and fresh water line from camp hydrant. I put the filter in the cabnet with all the valves and inlets. The filter element is replaceable, and can be purchased from Home Depot.

Good luck hope some if this helps.
Attached Files
edm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 10:45 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by edm View Post
DavidMPDK, first of all I have had very littl anode erosion and I have seen no problems with it. The anode is in the bottom of the tank and the hot water is taken of of the top of the tank. Unless there is a tremendous amount water going through the tank I can't see it being flushed through the system.
I installed a filter system in my FR 3 that will filter all incoming water to my system. I filter my tank fill water and fresh water line from camp hydrant. I put the filter in the cabnet with all the valves and inlets. The filter element is replaceable, and can be purchased from Home Depot.

Good luck hope some if this helps.
Yes, but the cold water comes in from the bottom and if, for example, the low water drain is opened without closing the bypass input valve to the water heater first the sediment may be pulled into the cold water side tubing and subsequently distributed throughout the cold water plumbing. Just a guess.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, water filter