Old 09-19-2015, 01:37 PM   #11
Look at the Georgetown 270...has all the key g'town features in a smaller package.

2015 Georgetown 280DS
2014 Vespa LX150 2014 StellaAuto 125
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 02:10 PM   #12
Last 3 motorhomes were about 30 feet. Since there's only two of us we decided to downsize and went with a 24 foot lexington class b+. It has a rear kitchen and a dinette and couch. We really like it a lot. Has the ford v10 and gets 11 mpg consistently. Last trip from Buffalo, NY area to Cape Cod I had the cruise control on the whole way there and back. It drives like a dream and takes hills with ease. Best decision for us.

bobm253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 06:48 PM   #13
Sunseeker 3050S

We too originally planned to buy a unit around 26-28 feet.In fact we spent a day at the big RV show in Hershey and limited ourselves to looking at those sizes( except for a couple of peeks at some huge ones!)
A wise camper told my husband he would regret not having a couch along with the dinette so that is how we came to buying the 3050S.We do not tow a car although we often camp 2 hours from home and I will bring my car.We love to bike and try to camp places with bike paths in Michigan.
We love our unit and find the extra space above the cab handy for storage especially on a month long trip to Florida.We also have grandchildren who camp with us once a year and they love the over cab bed.
Good Luck with your decision!
sunseekercamper56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 08:21 PM   #14
Look at this Coachmen Pursuit
Coachmen RV - Manufacturer of Travel Trailers - Fifth Wheels - Tent Campers - Motorhomes

another good one is the Windsport 27K.

These are ones we are looking at.
Frank & Brenda
TT- 2015 Coachmen Freedom Express 248RBS 50th Anniversary
TV- 2010 Suzuki Equator RMZ4
TST 507 Tire Monitors
FrankMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 09:09 AM   #15
The FR3 is our first RV - so take this with a grain of salt. We spent a little over a year looking around (Starting with pop-ups) - We found a couple of interesting bits of advice from more experienced RVers useful:

1. Consider what spending a rainy/cold weekend inside would be like.
2. Understand that the few feet from 25->28/30 are going to be harder to notice from the drivers seat, but make a generous difference inside.
3. Find the layout you like, and go from there.

The 28DS was essentially best for us - regardless of price. We like the layout - we can sprawl out out on the couch and watch TV while someone cooks, or is working at the dinette.

There are some things missing that I wish came standard - notably an inverter and solar hookups - but that's stuff we can add later on.

But there wasn't anything added that we *didn't* want, at least. I didn't feel like I was paying for stuff that was unnecessary, or that we'd want to pull out, or whatever. Its a good base to start from.
SEGV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 12:30 AM   #16
We wanted the king bed and the couch. We had a diesel truck and fifth wheel for years. Opted for 30 DS. The others are all too small for us.
arh1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 07:47 AM   #17
My wife and I went through this same discussion. We almost bought the FR Solera. It came fully equipped with the autolevelers and everything. Then, I looked at the GVWR and its unloaded weight and determined that we would be overweight everytime we went on a trip. We'd be limited to less than 150 pounds of gear with our grey and black tanks empty!

I know there are those that ignore this rating, some fluff is certainly built in, but when the safety of my family is at risk I don't skimp.

There a several good threads on this topic on FR Forums. I pasted one below.

To assume you can drive without anything in the grey or black water tanks (as the author assumed) is unrealistic. There have been many times I could not dump at a campground and was driving with all tanks at least half full. In the end, we found a sprinter would not work from a safety standpoint.

Good luck with your choice.

I have a new 2013 Solera 24R. Before I loaded it I weighed it.

fresh water tank empty
grey waste tank empty
black waste tank empty
fuel full
no passengers
no driver

Fantastic fan
24 inch TV
Backup camera with monitor
Extra coach battery
Bigfoot rear stabilizer jacks
SE package
Water filter
Carbon monoxide detector

front axle 3640
rear axle 6300
total 9940

We always boondock or dry camp. We arrive very clsoe to dark, so I do not want to waste time getting water on the way. So we leave home full of water. That is 292 pounds.

Max of 11,030-10232 = 798 for people and cargo

400 for two people
200 tongue weight
198 pounds left for all the dishes and food.

This is not going to work. Looks like I will have to transfer some cargo and perhaps even some of the water to the ATV trailer.

It sure would be nice to have another 600 pounds of cargo capacity.

Technically, the only weight on the axle is the sprung weight. The unsprung weight never counts towards axle capacity because it does not contribute to weight on the axle (tires, wheels, axle housing, the axle, etc.

Or am I confusing total weight rating with the sum of the axle ratings?
Jay & Jane (Jazzy and Jewel, too)
2014 FR3 30DS
Twin Cities, MN

Live Aloha
spicyrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 08:38 PM   #18
Thanks everyone for the input. My lovely wife and I went to the Hershey RV Show looked at numerous manufacturers and floorplans. After 7 hours of stolling thru the show we went back to the Forest River Compound to check out the FR3 25DS and still felt I was the best for us and the 80lbs pooch. Since it was the last day of the show we made an offer below the discounted show special . The sales people from Campers Inn that were manning the area were very knowlegable and helpful. We are now awaiting delivery on the coach. I hope this all works out . My wife has been pushing for a coach for 20 years.
Grumpy Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 09:38 PM   #19
Former Full Timer
Congrats on your new box. Use it in good health and enjoy your travels.
The recipe for perpetual ignorance is:
Be satisfied with your opinions
and content with your knowledge.
Elbert Hubbard
Duckogram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 03:59 AM   #20
That is great! Hope you guys have many great and memorable trips.

LDStaas is offline   Reply With Quote