Old 09-18-2015, 09:00 AM   #1

FR3 Or other small A ?

What better place to ask this question. FR3 owners made their choice. I am new to RV motorhomes and trying to decide on a coach. We plan to move around a lot so trying to stay under 26ft. Going to try not to have a toad. Am looking at Axis/Vegas and others. Any advice for a newbie ?

Old 09-18-2015, 09:33 AM   #2

We were looking real hard at the Axis but realized two things. One being the ease of hooking up the water and waste lines were going to be a challenge on the Axis and number two was interior space was not there. No room to pass if you are in front of the stove. We went with the FR3 30DS.

Old 09-18-2015, 11:34 AM   #3
Former Full Timer

At under 26' you might find better choices in the B+, C and Sprinter lines. You will certainly find better quality choices and more economical options there. The only thing you may not find is big baths and outside storage. I would decide on floor plan first then see what is out there that fits your requirements.
Elbert Hubbard
Duckogram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 02:21 PM   #4

Have looked at B+ , C and A classes. The FR3 25DS really suits as far as floor plan. Just have concerns on how easy it will be to maneuver around. I have a Silverado 2500HD crewcab as a daily driver so I am used to dealing with some size. The leveling system on the FR3 is a big plus for it.
Old 09-18-2015, 03:05 PM   #5

Ditto on the auto levelers. One big reason we stepped away from the Axis/Vegas models. And its nice to have larger tanks with the class A. We personally settled on 30DS over the 25DS since it has some more interior room/storage. And nice to have the couch and extra space for kitchen prep. Just pick your floor plan and go from there. You can't add on more space in an RV but you can always just add a toad if you find its too much to maneuver.
Old 09-18-2015, 03:20 PM   #6

If you have not driven a motorhome I think that you will be surprised at how well what you are looking at drives. Bigger than the 2500HD but not that much bigger and pretty nimble. We drove a 2500HD and pulled a 32' gooseneck and our 30DS is way easier to back into a site. There's all sorts of websites that can give you good information on driving a motorhome plus what you are looking at comes with cameras.
Old 09-18-2015, 08:02 PM   #7

I noticed alot of state parks have more spots of 24 foot or less.
Old 09-18-2015, 08:06 PM   #8

Alot of tourist type towns have restrictions on rv's parking at all. They don't mention size. But some also have special lots available.
Old 09-19-2015, 01:49 PM   #9

FR3

The small RV would be misery for me the one I have now is the smallest I have had at 32' with full wall slide and couldn't do without a toad or pull vehicle but people do have different views about what they need to be comfortable 40' was
the best for me
Old 09-19-2015, 02:07 PM   #10

We went 8 years with a 2500HD Crew Cab Diesel towing a FR Cherokee Lite 28A+ before moving to a 2015 FR3 30DS in April. Recently took it on a mountain trip in southern CA, which means straight up with lots of curves, and the ride was fantastic. Odd, but I really enjoyed the drive. I imagine the 25 foot would handle be even nicer. Love the interior too.