Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2016, 09:18 PM   #1

FR3 Outdoor Speakers

On our Memorial day trip my Jenson outside speakers started sounding terrible. I blamed it on David Robertson's blown save in Kansas City but whatever. It sounds like a blown out speaker, bass sounds are just static.

These are 5-1/4" Jenson speakers, I found some that seem to match on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/JENSEN-MS5006...ZEPB3T1SJBZMD1

but before I pull the trigger I thought to ask the forum for recommendations. I know from other threads that there are some audiophiles around who know a lot more about this stuff than I do and I'd appreciate advice.

What are good 5-1/4" water proof speakers suitable for the FR3? Any funny business in switching them out or is it just un-screw, replace, re-calk and re-screw? I don't want to go with larger and have to resize the hole, just a quality direct replacement.
Towing 2016 Chevy Sonic LT
TLAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 03:03 PM   #2

TLAK great question. I'll be standing by with ya.
wayne and sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 09:27 PM   #3

I have a 2015 FR3 just purchased last August and have the same issue on the outside and the cockpit. It's currently getting a diagnostic test done to see the "issue". The manufacturer is telling Campers Inn it's the radio (which does not make sense to me). I'm waiting to hear what the issue is but will share once they call me. I'm still very new to this but will share any info I find out.
citygirlcountryheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 02:00 AM   #4

Awesome man!
wayne and sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 01:07 PM   #5

Same.

Antone

2015 Forest River FR3 30DS - No Ragrets

Toad - 2011 Jeep Wrangler
Antone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 03:28 PM   #6

Hi. I'm new to the forum (been reading for a while, but first post). My wife and I bought 2014 FR3 30DS in April and we've been very happy with it so far. One of my outside speakers was bad and I replaced the pair with Pyle PLMR51B Dual 5.25'' Waterproof Marine Speakers from Amazon. They were $20 for the pair when I bought them, but they are $17 right now. I thought that they would fit with no modifications, but I had to enlarge the holes slightly to get them in. If you have a Dremel, you can easily enlarge the hole. I used a file, and it took some time. I also drilled 4 new holes for each speaker. When removing the original Jensens, there was a white caulk that was very sticky and rubbery that held them in and it required some prying to get them loose. After cleaning off the old caulk, enlarging the hole and drilling the new holes, I used clear outdoor silicone caulk to seal the new ones. I'm not an audiophile, but the new speakers sound MUCH better and the price is right. Time will tell if they hold up.

We've camped 14 nights since we got the FR3 and we're very happy so far.

The modifications/fixes that I've done so far are: replaced outdoor speakers, replaced the toilet (Dometic sent new one for free due to leak/odor issue), added shelves to entry cabinet, paper towel rack, towel rings in kitchen and bathroom, black tank flusher, cup holders, Dish VIP211K receiver, fixed incorrect audio wiring and replaced screen door handle.

Let me know if you have specific questions about the speaker replacement.

Chris
crahmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 03:34 PM   #7

Looks like I'll be doing an upgrade shortly here too. One speaker is sounding like crap...now that we're on vaca.
KansasFR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 10:44 PM   #8

Installed them today. I used the same Pyle PLMR51B's as crahmes did and followed his lead on the installation. Rather than silicone I used the same plumber's putty that Forest River did. I also enlarged the hole using a file (almost 2 hours in 90 degree heat to do both of them) and moved the holes.

Big thanks to crahmes for his step by step. They do sound pretty good, hope they hold up and we get our 17 buck's worth out of them!
Old 07-10-2016, 12:44 AM   #9

Pyle plmr52

Would the Pyle PLMR52 fit? That speaker has actually a slightly smaller diameter, so less filing, but instead of the 1.37" depth of the plmr51, the plmr52 has a depth of 2.12", couple bucks more but 150watt output instead of 100watt...
DutchRv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 11:58 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchRv View Post
Would the Pyle PLMR52 fit? That speaker has actually a slightly smaller diameter, so less filing, but instead of the 1.37" depth of the plmr51, the plmr52 has a depth of 2.12", couple bucks more but 150watt output instead of 100watt...
I dug one of the original Jensen's out of the trash and it measures 1-1/2" deep from the inside of the mounting flange to the back. My camper is put back together and caulked in so I can't measure the hole directly for you.

If I were to do it again I would have brought my router with a rabbeting bit and been done in 5 minutes. A 1/8 by 1/8 rabbet would have done the trick.

Or you could put a speaker plate adapter (spacer) under it.
Old 07-10-2016, 12:10 PM   #11

We like music and the more beer the louder it gets. Will blow Jenssens soon, will follow up with retro fit install with Pyle or JL speakers soon
DutchRv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 06:03 AM   #12

My issue to my speakers was the equalizers was completely off. I'm not very techie and still a newbie so that's why I didn't pick up on it.
citygirlcountryheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 09:01 AM   #13

Ours is going in ASAP for a speaker swap - we are also looking at either Pyle or JBL for the outside and probably a little larger. took the cover off the inside speaker and they aren't very good :/ Also thinking we will add another set to the dash and a sub under the sofa I was a bit bummed when I realized none of the Tvs are hooked into the coach speakers??? Anyone rewire this to get surround sound for movies?
kerber77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 09:08 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerber77 View Post
I was a bit bummed when I realized none of the Tvs are hooked into the coach speakers??? Anyone rewire this to get surround sound for movies?
Not sure which model year you have, but our 2015 30DS with the Furrion head unit by the kitchen will play the TV/DVD over the coach speakers. Not familar with the 2016/2017 when they moved to the dash mounted player, but I'd think it would operate the same. Maybe someone with a later model FR can chime in.
Old 07-22-2016, 09:16 AM   #15

i haven't put a dvd in yet - but the guy at the dealership said w the dash mounted player it only played the movie on the screen in dash??(kinda pointless imo) is this true? the radio unit does play through the coach speakers so I'm sure the movie there would but it doesn't seem any of the tvs are connected to the dash....of course, again, i have ran out and put one in yet to see exactly how that works - i just took his word for it
Old 07-22-2016, 09:45 AM   #16

ok - went and stuck in a dvd - it only plays on the in dash screen i really don't get the point of that but......ok
Old 07-22-2016, 10:21 AM   #17

Quote:
ok - went and stuck in a dvd - it only plays on the in dash screen i really don't get the point of that but......ok

Nvm all that. I figured it out - found the online manuals and it does play to main tv. And it will also then play on house speakers- so yeah, just need to put in some decent ones!
Old 07-22-2016, 10:29 AM   #18

Quote:
Nvm all that. I figured it out - found the online manuals and it does play to main tv. And it will also then play on house speakers- so yeah, just need to put in some decent ones!
See, don't trust those dealership guys, they don't know what they're selling!
Old 07-22-2016, 10:54 AM   #19

Have you tried the Aux setting on the unit? Usually there is an A-B setting. I haven't tried this because I haven't needed it lately. We use our computer to watch moves on the big screen using the Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter v1. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...e=UTF8&psc=1we bought on Amazon. It allows us to see the computer screen and watch movies,Youtube, work on computer etc. It's pricey, but gold IMHO. Now I'm curious also, I will have to play with the radio and if I discover a way I will post. Safe travels.

DavidMPDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 11:09 AM   #20

Quote:
Mine came with a Pioneer head unit. It will also play on the outside TV. We've used it, along with the outside speakers, to have outdoor movie nights. Just set the outside TV up like what you did to the inside one.

You can also play your TV audio (from antenna or cable) though the coach speakers, not just DVD.

The TV in the bedroom, however, is stand alone and not wired to the head unit. It shares the coach antenna and cable connections but is not connected to the DVD or coach speakers.

Tags
door