Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2013, 10:31 PM   #1

FR3 Owners please help

Hi Owners,

I need your help please. I was supposed to pickup my new FR3 here in Phoenix today but due to the heat I got cold feet. I am worried that the one 13500 AC unit and 4.0 Generator is not enough to keep this 30 ft rig cool with two adults, 3 kids, and a dog inside. We do plan to be doing most of our RVing in the Prescott/Payson/Flagstaff area with occasional trips up the west coast. But we also want to be able to tail gate at a Cardinals games and be able to walk in and out of a cooled coach.

If anyone can give me their opinion of the efficiency of how well this rig cools I would much appreciate it.

Thank You
Marbles5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:36 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbles5 View Post
Hi Owners,

I need your help please. I was supposed to pickup my new FR3 here in Phoenix today but due to the heat I got cold feet. I am worried that the one 13500 AC unit and 4.0 Generator is not enough to keep this 30 ft rig cool with two adults, 3 kids, and a dog inside. We do plan to be doing most of our RVing in the Prescott/Payson/Flagstaff area with occasional trips up the west coast. But we also want to be able to tail gate at a Cardinals games and be able to walk in and out of a cooled coach.

If anyone can give me their opinion of the efficiency of how well this rig cools I would much appreciate it.

Thank You
I guess my first question is what is in your budget? I wish I had more on my coach but I found the best unit and options for our price range. I have seen several FR3's and compared to their completion they are a better unit in my opinion. My last coach was a 2012 Winnebego View 26 foot with one A/C unit which I did not upgrade. We had a very hot summer last year in Indiana over 95 degrees everyday (which is unusual) and my coach cooled fine. I know that Indiana is not Arizona but it is all I have to compare it to. If my budget included the FR3, Ace, and such I would rather have a FR3 than nothing at all. Otherwise, save your pennies and opt for a coach equipped with more options to include 2 a/c units. Also, I have a Georgetown 335, approximately 34 feet. We only run one A/C unit and the coach cools fine. But again I do not live in Arizona.
BigGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:20 AM   #3

Thanks for the input. That's actually good to know considering Indiana is a lot more humid than Arizona. When you were making your decision on the F are 3 Did You Drive a Thor ace as well? Is there anything else that you can share with me about your coach that you like or dislike? Thank you for all your help.
Old 06-29-2013, 03:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Thanks for the input. That's actually good to know considering Indiana is a lot more humid than Arizona. When you were making your decision on the F are 3 Did You Drive a Thor ace as well? Is there anything else that you can share with me about your coach that you like or dislike? Thank you for all your help.
We actually have a 2014 Forest River Georgetown 335DS. Last year we looked at the Thor Ace when we decided to replace our 2012 Winnebago View. At that time the FR3 was not out. I "hang out" at the dealer a lot and am very familiar with the FR3. It was designed to compete with the Ace and in my opinion is far more superior. I do not like the cargo door latches on the FR3 but I believe the Ace has the same kind. I do not like the split bathroom. I like the shower and everything in one room. I like the "fake" wood floors in the FR3. I like the fact that it is a Class A but has the drop down Class C sleeping. I would also spring for the outside entertainment system. I wish I had that. Overall, if the FR3 is in your price range I think it is a great buy. And don't sweat the little fixes. Every brand of motorhome I have owned needed to have the bugs worked out. Heck, my electric stairs just fell apart on my 2014 but FR took care of it. Good luck!
Old 06-29-2013, 04:11 PM   #5

I have a FR class C Sunseeker 32 ft with a 13.5 AC in Ohio. Just last weekend we were in 90 degree temps with typical summer humidity and it cooled fine. Had it set anywhere from 70 to 73 degrees with the fan on auto (cycled on / off to maintain temp). It did cycle off about half the time. In other words, it cooled down just fine. My reco would be to go pay the coach a visit on the dealers lot in the heat of the afternoon. Spend some time in it. I say that because it will feel cool just walking in. But hang out a little, read a book, move around, etc. I personally would set the fan to auto too (don't let the dealer set it the fan to high to create a "fake" cool). You should be able to judge very easily if it is sufficient or not. Especially since this is record setting heat out your way.
'94 Coleman Cedar Pop Up
paulmlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:13 PM   #6

So let me post a quick update, we just got back from the Thor dealership to check out the ace. I have to say I still much prefer the FR3 in almost every aspect with one exception and maybe you guys can help me out here. I am concerned about Forest Rivers inability to get a human being on the phone. It seems that all of the threads with complaints say the same thing when something goes wrong there's no support there to back up the product they Simply pawn you off on the dealer and hopefully you have a good relationship or a good dealer that is willing and adequately able to service your needs. Thor as a manufacturer seems much more customer service oriented and set up with a concierge service. What is your guys experience with Forest River and their service ability?
Old 06-29-2013, 07:19 PM   #7

Each division is totally separate so you will want to make sure you hear specifically from FR class A folks (assuming that is where they classify the FR3).

FWIW, I am very pleased with their responsiveness on the class C side.
'94 Coleman Cedar Pop Up
paulmlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:23 PM   #8

Quote:
So let me post a quick update, we just got back from the store dealership and check out the ace. I have to say I still much prefer the FR3 in almost every aspect with one exception and maybe you guys can help me out here. I am concerned about Forest River is a manufacture any inability to get a human being on the phone. It seems that all of the threads with complaints say the same thing when something goes wrong there's no support there to back up the product they Simply pawn you off on the dealer and hopefully you have a good relationship or a good dealer that is willing and adequately able to service your needs. Thor as a manufacturer seems much more customer service oriented and set up with a concierge service. What is your guys experience with Forest River and their service ability?
Holly cow, I could not disagree more. My customer service experience with Forest River has been outstanding. I have made phone calls to the factory for parts and April in warranty. I have also received timely email responses. I toured the factory in Indiana and watched them build GT's and FR3's. Forest River gets an A+ in my book and I have only had my product for 2 months. I have seen threads where FR was replacing stuff that was out of warranty just because it was "the right thing to do". Just my opinion. Now the dealers are a different story. Good dealers are few and far between.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:09 PM   #9

That's awesome to hear. I assume then that you have a number to contact someone in case the dealer is incompetent. Thank you for the response.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:15 PM   #10

Quote:
That's awesome to hear. I assume then that you have a number to contact someone in case the dealer is incompetent. Thank you for the response.
Yep. I obtained that information from people on this forum.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:30 AM   #11

Little late to the game but a few thoughts... I had a Forester 32' Class C with the Dometic 15k AC unit, it cooled the unit fine on the way to and back from the Grand Canyon during July heat. If the unit your looking at has an optional 15k AC upgrade I highly suggest you do it... No one ever says "I have too much AC" when it's 110 outside.

Secondly the plant that built our Forester is the bus/Class C facility and they supported us wonderfully. I'm not sure where the coach you want is built but if its the Georgetown facility I'd visit the forum there. It is true, some FR have a deafening silence in the support and warranty department but that isn't what I found with the Forester division.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:11 PM   #12

Thanks for the feedback. We are going to go with the unit. After all of our research I feel like this introductory pricing for the FR3 is tough to beat. The unit will have a higher price tag next year and they are selling out all over the place. If the 13500 btu unit is not enough then it is only about $800ish to upgrade to a aftermarket 15000 btu unit. FYI for everyone out there I encountered a lot of misinformation about the options. After talking to the forest river rep who helped design this unit he informed me that they only come with 3 options: outdoor entertainment system, leveling jacks, and something else minor that slips my mind. There is no option for two ac units or 15000 unit from factory. I will be sure to share my reviews as we are supposed to pickup next week. Thanks
Old 07-04-2013, 01:10 PM   #13

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. We are going to go with the unit. After all of our research I feel like this introductory pricing for the FR3 is tough to beat. The unit will have a higher price tag next year and they are selling out all over the place. If the 13500 btu unit is not enough then it is only about $800ish to upgrade to a aftermarket 15000 btu unit. FYI for everyone out there I encountered a lot of misinformation about the options. After talking to the forest river rep who helped design this unit he informed me that they only come with 3 options: outdoor entertainment system, leveling jacks, and something else minor that slips my mind. There is no option for two ac units or 15000 unit from factory. I will be sure to share my reviews as we are supposed to pickup next week. Thanks
Good choice. I think the FR3 is a very nice coach. Good luck and I look forward to your reviews.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:40 PM   #14

Quote:
So let me post a quick update, we just got back from the Thor dealership to check out the ace. I have to say I still much prefer the FR3 in almost every aspect with one exception and maybe you guys can help me out here. I am concerned about Forest Rivers inability to get a human being on the phone. It seems that all of the threads with complaints say the same thing when something goes wrong there's no support there to back up the product they Simply pawn you off on the dealer and hopefully you have a good relationship or a good dealer that is willing and adequately able to service your needs. Thor as a manufacturer seems much more customer service oriented and set up with a concierge service. What is your guys experience with Forest River and their service ability?
I own a Berkshire 380 RB and have had several major issues. FR has stood behind the product 100% and has always been there when I need them. You will have issue with a new unit but FR will back you. I had Randy call me last week just to see how things were going.
If their service is making you nervous I can say from my experience I wouldn't worry. I love my MH and I'm camping right now sitting at the campfire.
Good luck with your purchase.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:29 PM   #15

Been reading...live in NorCal foothills picked p my fr3 last month. Pretty hot this past few weeks, 105 AC worked fine. Kept things cool. Love the RV...been looking for a while and am happy. Great phone service with April in Il via phone with jack problem(check the breaker left frame rail near extra batts if problems). Been out a few times, looking forward to many others.... DR
D5106ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:29 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGeorge View Post

Good choice. I think the FR3 is a very nice coach. Good luck and I look forward to your reviews.
So as promised last weekend we took our new 2014 FR3 up the hill to Flagstaff where we got a chance to check her out. I am delighted to report we had a great time with no major issues. We love the look and feel and functionality of the FR3 and are very happy with the unit. With that said here is where the coach Could use some improvement in case anybody from Forest River is paying attention:

The shower is an epic fail in that it leaks when you take a shower all over the floor and needs splash guards installed. We have purchased them aftermarket and I will let you know if the $16 fix does the trick.

The AC barely gets the job done and could use some improvement I'm seriously considering upgrading to the 15,000 BTU Aftermarket unit.

For some reason they left out a ladder for the upper bunk that folds down? Seems silly to me that they would not include a ladder with the purchase of the coach but nonetheless we can get one for $59.

These are all acceptable based off of the price point and the amount of unit that you get for the price. We are extremely happy with the product so far and will keep the reviews coming for those future FR3 owners
Old 07-13-2013, 12:34 PM   #17

I have had my FR3 for a few months now in Iowa. The only design problem I have found is the size of the bedroom slide. If it went out an other foot or so, a person could stand in front of the closet and dress. As is the only area I can see to dress is in the area between the shower, bed, and the Toilet door.
As others have pointed out, several small problems found since I got it. All, so far, fixed by the dealer.
Ron Chamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 10:42 PM   #18

An update on my FA3 in Iowa. Living full time in mine.
The furnace keep the inside to 50 F inside while the outside temps dropped to -12F. Would not mind a slightly bigger furnace. The fridge needs some more insulation to the outside world. Fluid gelled up and stopped working during the chill weather. It started back up when temps came back to above freezing.
Wish the water lines were either insulated or more than just hanging loose under the carriage. Would think that could help for both very hot temps and the cold.
The under area of the slides need some way to seal the cold / hot air out when the slide is out. Had to pull the slides in to seal the cold out.
Could also use an other 110 outlet. This one on the back driver's side, by the storage opening in back would be nice.
Ron Chamber is offline   Reply With Quote