Originally Posted by StephB
Did you make your under-dash box or buy something that fit?
We're on the hunt for a good dash storage option as well. I recognize yours and might give that a shot as a catch-all.
So I did a complete reply and closed he page by mistake and lost it all. So, I'll try again.
I made the unit.
1. I took a piece of cardboard and traced the bottom of the dash. I went right to the back of the dash. You will see in the attached picture.
2. Transfered to 3/4 plywood and cut it out. Sanded the edges.
3. Measured from the dash down to the engine cover on both sides. There was a fair difference from one side to the other.
4. Transferred these measurements to two 3/4" pieces of plywood. I deducted the 3/4" for the top piece, but did not bother for the bottom piece, which I cut from 1/2" plywood. So it would form to the engine cover.
4. I only went back about 12", but I extended the front out 3" to match the slop of the dash.
5. I sloped the side piece out at the front bottom to match the slope of the dash and angled the top of the sides backwards. Again you will see what I mean from the pictures.
6. I just through it together and painted it black. When I get home I will make a more professional unit.
7. I bought a tool chest tray at Harbor Freight to store stuff in.
8. The little screw you see in the picture keeps the tool tray from sliding out.
9 I sanded the back of of the bottom piece so it would not cut into the engine cover and I put in a little piece of rubber mat to help protect the engine cover.