Old 12-30-2015, 12:00 AM   #141

I did the same, in beige.

2015 FR3 30DS

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Old 01-05-2016, 12:30 AM   #142

We've made a number of changes to our FR3 30DS... This change gave us a bunch of storage... I was a little pressed for time so did not do what I originally planned. As it is just my wife and I did not see any sense in keeping the bunk bed over the divers area and it kept falling down anyway. So I removed the back section of the bunk bed and turned the front area into storage. It does not impact the view and no hitting my head on the bunk bed. We have baskets there and if we want we can remove them and put up the remaining section of the bunk.

We also installed a box under the dash to stop the rattle. Used a tool storage tray to store sun glasses, coins, pens, etc...

Jim. Suzie and Marlee (Dog)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2386 (22).jpg
Views:	371
Size:	206.1 KB
ID:	97282  

Old 01-05-2016, 12:16 PM   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer55 View Post
I have been looking for one for a while, I don't want a cheap plastic 2.00 one; was thinking of having the local cabinet shop build one for me with a compartment with a door, maybe after the first of the year, unless I find something else I like,,,
That's what I was thinking of doing... we have the time right now with winter in full swing out here in Oregon.
I was thinking of something innovative and cool... I have seen the plastic flip up style and I know they work, but I will only go that route as a last resort... though I may get a couple for the couch....
Days Camped 28
twojump36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 12:19 PM   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdbetts View Post
We also installed a box under the dash to stop the rattle.

Hi Jim,

Did you make your under-dash box or buy something that fit?

We're on the hunt for a good dash storage option as well. I recognize yours and might give that a shot as a catch-all.

Cheers,
Steph
StephB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 12:22 PM   #145

Quote:
We've made a number of changes to our FR3 30DS... This change gave us a bunch of storage... I was a little pressed for time so did not do what I originally planned. As it is just my wife and I did not see any sense in keeping the bunk bed over the divers area and it kept falling down anyway. So I removed the back section of the bunk bed and turned the front area into storage. It does not impact the view and no hitting my head on the bunk bed. We have baskets there and if we want we can remove them and put up the remaining section of the bunk.

We also installed a box under the dash to stop the rattle. Used a tool storage tray to store sun glasses, coins, pens, etc...

What type of cell phone holder is that?
Days Camped 28
Old 01-05-2016, 01:34 PM   #146

Cell Phone Holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by twojump36 View Post
What type of cell phone holder is that?
I bought one of those plastic 3M disc's from RV Dealer and stuck it to the dash. I mounted a simple glass mount cell phone holder (had it laying around) to the plate. Works great...
Old 01-05-2016, 01:45 PM   #147

Quote:
I bought one of those plastic 3M disc's from RV Dealer and stuck it to the dash. I mounted a simple glass mount cell phone holder (had it laying around) to the plate. Works great...
I have to do it.... my phone slides or drops off of everything... can't see it if it's in my face and I need it for directions cause the wife is so bad at reading a map....
Days Camped 28
Old 01-05-2016, 03:12 PM   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephB View Post
Hi Jim,

Did you make your under-dash box or buy something that fit?

We're on the hunt for a good dash storage option as well. I recognize yours and might give that a shot as a catch-all.

Cheers,
Steph
So I did a complete reply and closed he page by mistake and lost it all. So, I'll try again.

I made the unit.

1. I took a piece of cardboard and traced the bottom of the dash. I went right to the back of the dash. You will see in the attached picture.

2. Transfered to 3/4 plywood and cut it out. Sanded the edges.

3. Measured from the dash down to the engine cover on both sides. There was a fair difference from one side to the other.

4. Transferred these measurements to two 3/4" pieces of plywood. I deducted the 3/4" for the top piece, but did not bother for the bottom piece, which I cut from 1/2" plywood. So it would form to the engine cover.

4. I only went back about 12", but I extended the front out 3" to match the slop of the dash.

5. I sloped the side piece out at the front bottom to match the slope of the dash and angled the top of the sides backwards. Again you will see what I mean from the pictures.

6. I just through it together and painted it black. When I get home I will make a more professional unit.

7. I bought a tool chest tray at Harbor Freight to store stuff in.

8. The little screw you see in the picture keeps the tool tray from sliding out.

9 I sanded the back of of the bottom piece so it would not cut into the engine cover and I put in a little piece of rubber mat to help protect the engine cover.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2389a.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	97306   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2391 a.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	217.1 KB
ID:	97307  
Old 01-06-2016, 06:00 PM   #149

Quote:
So I did a complete reply and closed he page by mistake and lost it all. So, I'll try again.

I made the unit.
Man, I hate when that happens! Thanks for taking the time to rewrite your response and including the how-to! It looks great.

Cheers,
Steph
StephB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 12:56 AM   #150

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1454133057.586528.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	98592Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1454133070.258848.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	98593

Skill level 0, just a couple driver comforts. I added on iOttie One Touch to hold my phone. I use the WAZE app for directions, has gotten me around some nasty So Cal traffic. We'll see how it holds on to the hyper active dash. I also added a little suction cup mirror to the corner of the overhead mirror so I could actually see the rest of the rig, especially if something pops open while driving. It was $5 at Camping World.

Antone

2015 Forest River FR3 30DS - No Ragrets

Toad - 2011 Jeep Wrangler

Tags
modifications