Old 10-15-2013, 12:08 PM   #1
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

FR3 queen bed

My wife and I are considering buying the FR3. We looked at one at the RV show in Pomona last weekend and were very impressed. We also looked at the Thor A.C.E. 30.1, and the Winnebago Vista 31KE. Again, we liked the FR3 the best.
The first thing I noticed was the queen bed in the bedroom. The mattress was at least 6 inches longer than the plywood and made the matress hang a little. My wife was checking out the drawers and sat on the end and almost fell to the floor.
My question is; has anyone else had this problem or was this an isolated case? The FR factory rep said it was an easy fix. If so, why is it there in the first place. We wondered, after we got home, if it could be that when the slide is in the bed is right up next to the cabinet? Something we will definitely be looking at on our next visit.
Any comments would be appreciated

Old 10-15-2013, 12:54 PM   #2

I bought my camper from an individual who had previously upgraded the camper-sized queen mattress to a residential bedroom type. He had taken about half a sheet of plywood and screwed it to the existing plywood to extend the foot of the bed in order to support the mattress. It's sort of cantilevered, I guess, but it works just fine.

Old 10-15-2013, 08:19 PM   #3

We found that a little funny on our FR3 also... It doesn't seem to me that the extra wood would actually hit the drawers when closed. Which got me to thinking maybe it's some sort of safety thing. When the slide is closed and if you need to get out that big emergency window, it might be a legal thing that the bed has to be walk around... Not that it wouldn't stop me from climbing over the bed or anyone in it to get out that window if I need to!!!

We'll do some more investigating, because that is on our to-do to extend the base!!
Old 10-16-2013, 09:26 AM   #4

FR3 Bed

The plywood under the bed (or lack thereof), is to ensure that nothing solid hits the built-in drawers when the slide is cranked in. It's an easy fix: cut out a piece of plywood and screw an extension directly on top of the current plywood. I'd suggest covering all the plywood that's currently supporting the bed without extending it too long so you run into problems when the slide is in. Also, make sure you don't screw that existing plywood into it's supports as you would lose the storage underneath - yes, that plywood lifts up to expose another storage area.

Drivmsafe, several months ago, my wife and I were in the exact position you are in now. While, like every coach, the FR3 has it's shortcomings, it has served us well. We've fixed issues like the bed (and others) making it even more enjoyable. We're very happy with our choice of the FR3.

Good luck!
Old 10-16-2013, 09:59 AM   #5
Maron

Send a message via Yahoo to Maron
It could be you got a residential queen (80"). Versus the typical sleeper sofa queen which is 74". Most sofa beds & RV mattresses are shorter then standard.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:56 AM   #6
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

Thanks for the information everyone but I'm still wondering if the mattress (not the plywood) does indeed hit the cabinets when the slide is closed? The brochure says the mattress is a 60 x 80. If that's the case, and it does hit the cabinets than it might be better if the mattress was a short queen (60 x 75). We'd be replacing the mattress anyways since the one that comes with the coach is a cheepie.
Again, thanks for the info.
Old 10-16-2013, 01:02 PM   #7
Maron

Send a message via Yahoo to Maron
You are going to have a problem finding a quality 60 x 75" mattress. Probably the only place you will be able to find one is in a furniture store that carries good quality furniture. The size 60 x 74" mattresses are made for sleeper couches. If you want to shop around by phone first, the best brand for the price is Klaussner out of Asheboro N.C. You can search their dealer listing for a dealer near by your home by going on line and finding the home page for Klaussner Home Furnishings. They are a manufacturer and will not sell direct. If you can find a dealer near you, Klaussner offers good sofa sleeper mattresses in that size. I think their 2 best mattresses are the AirCoil, which comes as an air mattress with a pump attached and makes up into a regular thickness like your mattress at home, and they also offer a new memory foam mattress which is very good.
Don't be afraid of the aircoil mattress. We have them on all our sleepers inout family and they sleep great. Good luck!
Old 10-16-2013, 01:33 PM   #8
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

Thanks Maron. We've looked at the AirCoil mattress and they are nice. When we do buy one we've found that Sleep Number has what's called a "short queen" for RV's. It's 60x75 which is industry standard size.
Old 10-16-2013, 03:00 PM   #9

queen mattress

The mattress does push against the cabinets when the slide is in and it is a standard queen mattress, not a short one. That was one of the selling points for me.

If you're ok with losing 5 inches of mattress length, I think you might be able put a short mattress in the coach without trimming the supporting plywood. That would also give you a little extra space to get around the bed since it's a tight fit even with the slide out.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:00 PM   #10

This is one of the selling points of the FR3. Full size queen mattress, not the short 74 inch like the Thor. At 6'1" this was a big deal to me. As mentioned, an easy fix to extend the support if needed or you could switch to a shorter mattress if it does not bother you. Great thing is an 80 inch fits. The 80 inch does not fit in the Thor unfortunately. The couch is also a pull out bed in the FR3, not a scissor like the Thor, in case that is an issue for you. The Thor overhead bunk is slightly larger though.

Tags
bed