Old 08-02-2017, 01:58 PM   #1

FR3 Roof Damage

I have a 2016 FR3. The last few trips i kept hearing a tapping noise on the roof. I went up on the roof and notice rippling in the roof membrane. This is only at the front of the coach. I checked all over the front area and there are no tears in the roof. Called the dealer. They were no help. Said roofs are not covered under the warranty. We went out again and noticed in the reflection as we past a tanker truck that the roof looked inflated in the front. Some how air is getting under the roof membrane. I went up and sealed around the antennas and the roof joint in the front thinking there is a leak i can't see., We went out again this past weekend and it is still getting air under it and now it has actually torn.

Has anyone else experienced this issue. I am trying to figure out the best way to repair this without having to go to a dealer. I have looked on line and am thinking about cutting out the damaged area and going with a liquid roof. Any thoughts or help would be appreciated. I have a trip next weekend and another trip 3 weeks after that. Would like to fix it this weekend.

jimmy3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 02:15 PM   #2

Yes had the exact same thing on our 2016 FR3 DS32. I had to fight with Forest River warrenty department in order to get it fixed, complete new roof installed. see below for contact info for Forest River.
You can search this forum and you will find others that have had the same issue.

Forest River FR3 Customer Service / Warranty Dept. 574-206-7600
Warranty Manager: Kevin Stratton
Direct Line: 574-206-7611
Email: kstratton@forestriverinc.com

310cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 06:07 PM   #3

ive dropped my radio antenna down months ago from others complaining that rips have started there. now i am just crossing my fingers. 2016 30ds. put on a couple thousand miles with no bubbles. Others have said their roofs inflate so much it's like a balloon ready to pop while driving under a bridge.
Combatcoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 10:34 AM   #4

I'm not sure its actually air getting under, but rather just normal Bernoulli principle at work lifting the membrane. Same thing as when you see a convertible car driving down the road with a bubble on their roof. In the front of the RV are aluminum channels that run across the roof that you could screw into if so inclined. On our 30DS, they were separated by 48" OC roughly near the front of the coach. Though since your probably under warranty, I'd get FR to fix this if possible.
Old 08-03-2017, 10:58 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy3rd View Post
I have a 2016 FR3. The last few trips i kept hearing a tapping noise on the roof. I went up on the roof and notice rippling in the roof membrane. This is only at the front of the coach. I checked all over the front area and there are no tears in the roof. Called the dealer. They were no help. Said roofs are not covered under the warranty. We went out again and noticed in the reflection as we past a tanker truck that the roof looked inflated in the front. Some how air is getting under the roof membrane. I went up and sealed around the antennas and the roof joint in the front thinking there is a leak i can't see., We went out again this past weekend and it is still getting air under it and now it has actually torn.

Has anyone else experienced this issue. I am trying to figure out the best way to repair this without having to go to a dealer. I have looked on line and am thinking about cutting out the damaged area and going with a liquid roof. Any thoughts or help would be appreciated. I have a trip next weekend and another trip 3 weeks after that. Would like to fix it this weekend.

Call Mr Cell and send him pic he has help me a lot very nice man.

Cel Lopez
West Coast U.S./CANADA
Class A FR3/GEORGETOWN Warranty Rep
clopez@forestriverinc.com
Direct: 574-206-7618
Benny1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 03:52 PM   #6

Thanks

Thanks for the feed back and contact info. I will send off emails today and hopefully get the same luck with the repair.
jimmy3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 09:50 AM   #7
edm

We had the same thing happen on our FR3 30DS last summer on a trip to Boston.
the cause was the radio antenna broke loose and allowed air to get under the membrane. I contacted our dealer and the factory. The end result was Forest River replaced the whole roof membrane at no cost to us. all of our dealings with Forest River warranty have been very positive.

Good luck.
edm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 04:47 AM   #8

I had the same separation you describe. Was rolling at 65 mph, wind gust hit me and that bubble moved enough to break lapping compound in front if digital antenna. Forest River DID cover the roof replacement under warranty. Took 3 full weeks to get parts, install kit and work done. Your dealer is wrong.

I was fortunate to have Camping World if Albuquerque process the warranty claim. They took lots of pictures, completed the claim paperwork and submitted it. They gave me the claim number and I contacted Jeff Hood (Forest River FR3/Georgetown Service and Warranty). Jeff expedited the approval for me. The rest was logistics. Don't assume that the various departments (parts, service, etc) will communicate with each other. I " managed" that communication process to ensure they did talk to each other.

Dealers tend to avoid warranty work because, IMHO, the process is set up to benefit Forest River and not the consumer. Get on a first name basis with your Forest River support person and they will help you get it fixed.
sjohnsonmbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 08:16 AM   #9

Bubble

Is there any way to fix small bubble in center of roof . All so have one at the very end of roof. or does hole roof have to be replace ?
Carl17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 05:52 AM   #10

I don't know for sure. However, the tech that examined mine for warranty repair said he could do a TEMPORARY repair but it would probably only last about 100 miles at freeway speeds. My roof was debonded from the front. Full replacement.

sjohnsonmbb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fr3, roo, roof