Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2014, 11:35 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by svwc View Post
Finally, after 2 weeks, the dealer got the warranty authorization to get the part, but FR does not have any, must get the gearbox from the manufacture, BAL.
We'll see how long this takes...........
what a PITA
Hate to say this but you will probably get it sooner then through FR. Ask if you could get 2 day shipping?....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 11:42 AM   #42

Slide out issue happened on the Bed slide this weekend. I have a 2015 25 Fr3, so this is nothing they have fixed in the new model. Thank god i read this prior to this issue occurring, so i knew what to do, just a little push on the outside while the wife ran the switch. Now getting it fixed, any suggestions on how to navigate the warranty process? Start with Forest River or the dealer?
wiscoFR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 12:15 PM   #43

Both
574-206-7600 is warranty for Fr3
Enconcapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 12:24 PM   #44

I left it to the dealer...

I let the dealer work on getting the right people informed. Still under warranty and no charge for the work. Good job on fixing it. Now, we'll see how long this one lasts. Gearbox is the weak point and there is nothing we can do till the MFG beefs it up...
Old 06-15-2014, 01:21 PM   #45

PASS THIS ON.....
Let your partner operate the slide button....and guide the Bed-Folding part by hand... lift it up... so the thing won't "HOOK" Behind the bed.....
On the way in TOO... make sure the overhead cabinets (Wich are upside down) are closed.......
pimhelmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 01:43 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimhelmy View Post
PASS THIS ON.....
Let your partner operate the slide button....and guide the Bed-Folding part by hand... lift it up... so the thing won't "HOOK" Behind the bed.....
On the way in TOO... make sure the overhead cabinets (Wich are upside down) are closed.......

Can you elaborate on what part you should lift up on? On the actual mattress or part of the slide out?
Old 06-15-2014, 01:47 PM   #47

The folding planks under the mattress, just carefully guide them.... don't let the gearbox pull the 90 degrees folding planks by itself. Lift and guide,

The tooth in the gearbox break off when blocked, so it's preventive.
pimhelmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:51 PM   #48

Making Progress

This post is long, but there is a reward if you can make it through to the bottom! I'm going to address things in addition to the slide issue that we are having worked on and a few things we learned today.

Today was our meeting with Mike Hums from FR - the rep for the FR3. I have attached a picture showing all of our smiling faces. It was a really fortunate set of circumstances that let us meet with him and we learned quite a bit about the RV without having to go the factory.

Mike was genuinely grateful that we took time to show him around our RV and talk to him about what's good and what's not so good with the FR3. He was very receptive to our feedback and was open and honest about some of the flaws that they have had to work out as they go along.

I have to apologize that my post may not have the techy info you are looking for but a lot of what he and the H talked about went over my head. First of all they are aware of the problem with the slide motor/gears and have been working hard with the mfg to get it resolved. The replacement motors should not have problems with the teeth breaking (it has something to do with the metal that was originally used for the gears. Our replacement motor was to have been shipped the latter part of last week but unfortunately did not arrive today so we were not able to bring the RV home. From what I could see, you can't just replace the gears as they are inside of the motor housing - so the entire piece gets replaced. He also showed us how to get to the motor in case we need to operate the slide with a drill.

For everyone who has been trying to figure out a fix for the bed, they have designed a new mattress which looked really nice. The bottom 40 part has about 2 inches of wood installed in the bottom so that it lies completely flat on top and then when you fold the mattress for storing it, the wood is inside so it folds along with the cushion. You can order the mattress but it's close to $1000 and we are going to be happy with sticking a few 2 x 4s under there for support. If we wind up spending a lot more time in the RV we might consider the new custom mattress.

In other forums there was talk about wind noise. Our unit does have a problem with the windshield not being sealed into place properly, so he instructed the service guys to request the special silicone that they need to secure it into place. This should make things quieter in the cabin for us.

When I pointed out that the shower walls are not sticking to the wall completely he told me that they should not be stuck on all of the way down. If the plastic were to freeze and it could not flex, it would crack.

He also showed us that the best way to spin the passenger's captain's chair is to pull it all of the way forward first. That made it turn really easily.

So, now for your reward: Mike stressed to me that he really wants to hear from the owners what's going on with the RVs that are out there. He not only gave me permission, he encouraged me to post his email address and phone number on the forum so that you can all reach out to him for support on problems. Here is his contact info. Hopefully the forum won't delete the post because it has his contact info.

mhums@forestriverinc.com
574-532-1240
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0937.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	277.0 KB
ID:	55471  
auntieshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 06:21 PM   #49

Thanks for the contact info. It's always nice to have the name & number of the rep. who deals with your specific coach & is willing to answer questions about it. Hope everything is fixed and your coach works O.K. when you get it back!!
Grandma99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 04:16 PM   #50
FR3 Division

Thank you auntieshoes for your kind words and I do look forward to any type of feed back, both positive and/or negative. Feel free to message me.
Michael Hums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 05:35 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscoFR3 View Post
Slide out issue happened on the Bed slide this weekend. I have a 2015 25 Fr3, so this is nothing they have fixed in the new model. Thank god i read this prior to this issue occurring, so i knew what to do, just a little push on the outside while the wife ran the switch. Now getting it fixed, any suggestions on how to navigate the warranty process? Start with Forest River or the dealer?
Pleased to say that Forest River was very responsive and I received a call that same day from Kevin in FR3 warranty. They contacted my dealer and had things in motion by the following day. They reassured me that i would have the rig back in time for our trip to florida and made the whole interaction surprising pleasant.

Thanks Forest River!
Old 07-04-2014, 07:17 PM   #52

Just left the factory with the windshield noise issue. There was no caulk or sealant around the whole windshield and it used to scream at us going down the road. Now nice and quiet.

Just after we left the factor and arrived in Western NY state the rear slide failed as all of you have describe. Kevin Stratton is taking care of us but caused us a weeks delay in our schedule and fouled up reservations. Kevin is great and has been right on top of any issue we have.

Forrest River is aware of this problem from what I can tell and surely they have had a lot of reports of the rear slide. Strangely no main slide issues were mentioned in this post. I hope that motor and gearbox is more substantial than the one I saw over the bedroom slide. That motor and assembly is destined to fail for just about everyone as far as I can see.

Also I wrote Mike as the previous poster mentioned and told him that while these issues are being addressed they should review their mentality and approach with regards to creature comforts in the basic design. No cup holders for passenger or by the couch is inexcusable and would cost virtually nothing. Also such things as prewiring for vent fans would have cost little.

I love the FR3 but it is aggravating when you just leave the factory for warranty service and then several days later the slide fails like so many others have. Maybe they don't have a better solution yet but we could have been warned.
scivilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 06:27 PM   #53

Came home today and could not extend the large slide on my TT. Called the Rv center I go to for service she said they were closed but to bring it in on Monday. After about three hours I went back outside and hit the button and presto the damn thing extended. I'm thinking during my trip home a bump might have moved the slide to where it was binding against the gear. After it sat for a while the pressure must have released and allowed it to travel. Big relief for me and mama was able to vacuum the TT before I took it to storage.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2012 F-350 4x4 King Ranch Super Duty CC 6.7 Turbo Diesel 3.55 e-locker
2011 Palomino Puma 30KFBDS with Side Paw Kitchen and Bunkhouse
Equalizer E2 Hitch
GASPEDDLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:26 AM   #54
Motoring

I found it won't operate when the engine is running. Whether the slide is in or out, it won't operate it with motor running. Safety I suppose.

grotto69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:31 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by grotto69 View Post
I found it won't operate when the engine is running. Whether the slide is in or out, it won't operate it with motor running. Safety I suppose.

A TT has a motor?

Also i will test in a bout 15 mins the slide with engine running. Dont think there is any lock out for this. Certainly no lock out for rolling down the road and the screen door being a little loose (hinges) and all of a sudden stairs go down....hit another bump .... back in. Had that happen a couple of times on the trip home yesterday. Will be adding a switch!
zippyzrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 04:16 PM   #56

Grotto69 i stand corrected and learned something today. You cannot on the motorhome use the slide out/in controls while the engine is running.
Old 07-12-2014, 10:39 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by svwc View Post
Finally, after 2 weeks, the dealer got the warranty authorization to get the part, but FR does not have any, must get the gearbox from the manufacture, BAL.
We'll see how long this takes...........
what a PITA

3 weeks to get the gear drive parts, then 2 weeks to get'r fixed, all ends well

I'll be helping, manually pushing these slides in & out to prevent this from happening again

svwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 10:46 AM   #58

SVWC, Ive found on my 25DS that if i fold the mattress up onto itself and pick the end boards up and fold them under on the platform that the slide coming in is a lot easier. Going out i pick the end boards up and help it go out. Seems to be a lot less strain on the system (more on me putting it out).

I think Forest River needs to document better how the rear slide should be opened/closed and also it could use improvement.

Ill be helping the rear slide. Crazy thing is there seems to be almost no issue with the front slides. Heck i pulled it in and out with the wife sitting at the table. It moves and works great so im thinking its the funky board setup at the end of the bed that is the problem maker.

/my $0.02
//getting my rear motor/gear replaced on the 25th and my steps
Old 07-12-2014, 11:18 AM   #59

Just got back to NJ from a great trip to GA and went to open the rear slide. The grinding noise was so loud I think the neighbors heard it. I had to push it while my wife held the button, in order to open it. It was louder, and more difficult to push than I had expected. I'll be calling the dealer and FR on Monday! We have another trip in two weeks.
PhotoMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 12:17 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoMaster View Post
Just got back to NJ from a great trip to GA and went to open the rear slide. The grinding noise was so loud I think the neighbors heard it. I had to push it while my wife held the button, in order to open it. It was louder, and more difficult to push than I had expected. I'll be calling the dealer and FR on Monday! We have another trip in two weeks.
You know i still say that things go in cycles here. Sorry to hear about your problem. The thing is that these things should not be happening to begin with. Everyone pays good money for their units or MH. How many times do you estimate that you used that slide? Then it's always 2 or 3 weeks and FR has to order the parts. Hell they build them you know they have a stock pile, or the frame manufacturer has to have them. Who ever heard of that you have to pull boards up to make something work. PhotoMaster, I would try and wash out the gear area before you take it in, sometimes you get road grime caught in it. That's another area that needs covering to prevent it from happening...Good luck

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out