Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2014, 10:13 AM   #101

We have to join the crowd with a broken tooth on the motor that moves our bedroom in and out. Tomorrow, bright and early we will be calling FR and lighting the fire to get our dealership moving for a fix. Glad we read this series of comments about this issue and will get it fixed before I have to push it in and out like I did when we were 500 miles from home. We bought our MH last Dec 2013.
Lrsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 09:40 AM   #102

Well, this is a club I was hoping not to join. Yesterday I traveled from San Diego to the Rio Bend RV Resort in El Centro and when I went to extend the main slide it went out one inch and then stopped and started making this hellacious noise. I looked in the park brochure and found a mobile service place and called the guy (who answered on a Sunday). He's coming out this morning to see what he can do.

I'll post again when I find out what's going on.

Barbara
FR3 30DS 2014
BarbaraG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 12:11 PM   #103

I hope Forest River will awake and change this gearbox to take out these slides out.

This gear box is realy too weak for this big job.

Better dont forget to close the door of your wardrobe or the doors over your bed because you will be in big trouble.

Very poor design for these items.

Good luck
roseberryc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 12:21 PM   #104

Thanks. The guys are here now, but it's really hard for them to reach the motor with the slide in... and I never received the 'flexible shaft' you need to manually extend the slide.
Old 09-29-2014, 12:31 PM   #105

I added extra catches on the doors over the bed as they kept opening up going down the road and solved that problem
Brewster McFrisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 01:01 PM   #106

I dont think there have been a lot of main slides breaking. Most i believe are bedroom slides.

BarbaraG did they try pushing the slide out while you operate the button? This worked for me for 2 weeks of traveling until i could get it to the dealer. It was no fun but at least it worked. Just wondering because the usual bedroom failure leaves one able to still use them, just gotta assist it over the broken gear tooth.

If this wasnt possible with yours than it may be something else.

Keep us updated.
zippyzrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 01:03 PM   #107

Yeah, thanks for the suggestion, but we tried that. I'll keep everyone posted on what the problem is.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:41 PM   #108

So, it appears the problem with my main slide is the gearbox. The RV service people are working on ordering one.

B
Old 09-30-2014, 12:15 PM   #109

More on slide issues

BarbaraG, I think we met at a boot camp in Congress about a year ago. We have joined the bedroom slide trouble also. I was able to push the bedroom slide enough while my wife did the button control and relieved the tension on the bead boards as the folded and unfolded. Mr. Travis Bird at Forest River was very helpful in getting new motors and gear boxes to our dealer so they could be replaced in our 25DS. I think I will look into the hing placement for the over the bed cupboards. Safe Travel, Bob and Linda Smith, Prescott, AZ
Old 09-30-2014, 12:26 PM   #110

Bob and Linda,

Yes, we did meet at boot camp in Congress. My problem is with the main slide, though the bed slide has been making scary noises lately and I think I'll have the guys check it as well. Thanks for the contact info.

Safe travels to you as well.

Barbara
Old 09-30-2014, 12:28 PM   #111

Oh, by the way, Do you have the phone number and/or email for Travis Bird?

Thanks.

Barbara
Old 09-30-2014, 02:08 PM   #112

Travis Bird contact info

BarbaraG, Here is how I contacted Travis Bird at FR. tbird@forestriver.com and 574 206-7635 with a fax of 574 206-9450 We found him to be most helpful... Good Luck and Safe Travels, Bob and Linda Smith
Old 10-01-2014, 10:50 AM   #113

Slide Gearbox Recall

Okay, here's the latest. My service guy (Armando at Desert RV Service in Brawley, CA) called Travis Bird at Forest River (thank you Bob and Linda) who told him the gearbox on the slides is a recall. FR will cover the warranty work and want them to replace the bedslide gearbox at the same time.

Armando is waiting to hear back from FR regarding how soon we can get the gearboxes. I told them I'd pay the shipping to have them overnighted. So now, it's wait and see.

Barbara
FR3 30 DS 2014
Old 10-01-2014, 11:00 AM   #114

Glad to hear the good news

BarbarG, So glad to hear the news of your fix. My wife and I are super impressed the Forest River support and will be forever in love with our FR3. Drive Safe, Bob and Linda Smith
Old 10-01-2014, 05:04 PM   #115

Has Forest River made a change at the factory in response to these problems so as to fix new units coming off of the line?
vjstangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 05:10 PM   #116

Don't know, but word is that Travis Bird at FR is knowledgeable about the problem and very helpful. His contact info is a couple posts above. One would hope that if they're doing a recall, they would have changed the hardware going forward.

Barbara
Old 11-11-2014, 07:01 PM   #117

Slide Out Motor Controller

My gear box went out and I am not under warranty. The dealer replaced it but I started to look at spare parts/long term solutions. Here is what I found.

1.) All the gear boxes come from china, imported by Norco Industries (no surprise I guess) - Welcome to Norco Industries, Inc.

2.) The slide out mechanicals are sold as a kit called Accu Side by BAL RV Products Group
BAL - Innovative Products for the RV Industry

The web site has pretty good information to include a complete parts list (I think). Take a look at the designer guide, installation guide and the service manual pdfs. There is also a training video on how to replace the cable.

Here is a list of Motor/gear box parts (previously listed). The parts list implies you can order the entire kit or individual parts. I am going to try to order just the gear box so I have a complete spare.

http://norcoind.com/bal/downloads/ac...tor%20List.pdf

Here is a list of slide out parts:
http://norcoind.com/bal/downloads/ac...rts%20List.pdf

3.) Norco provided a product availability bulletin that identifies 5 distributors (have not tried them yet)
http://norcoind.com/bal/downloads/ac...20Bulletin.pdf

4.) I was reviewing the slide out parts and noticed Accu Track offers a motor controller that is designed to keep users from burning out the motor or breaking the gear box. The controller is Accu Track part# 22303 which is really Kinetek part# KCCA0005
http://www.kinetekcontrols.com/produ...ntrollerDS.pdf

The controller monitors amperage specifically so you don't break the motor/gearbox and it is adjustable. It would seem this is exactly what we need.

So does anyone know if FR uses the motor controller and if not why not? If FR does use the controller, then where is it? I would think we can reduce the set point to keep things from breaking.

If there is not a motor controller then I am going to order one, it does not look to complicated to wire in.
twirvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 06:47 AM   #118

Lot's of good information, thanks.
Albert1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 09:32 AM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraG View Post
Okay, here's the latest. My service guy (Armando at Desert RV Service in Brawley, CA) called Travis Bird at Forest River (thank you Bob and Linda) who told him the gearbox on the slides is a recall. FR will cover the warranty work and want them to replace the bedslide gearbox at the same time.

Armando is waiting to hear back from FR regarding how soon we can get the gearboxes. I told them I'd pay the shipping to have them overnighted. So now, it's wait and see.

Barbara
FR3 30 DS 2014

Barbara, can someone go to a service and get the gear boxes replace to prevent a possible problem?

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Rolling Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 06:08 PM   #120

New to class A Rving and just got a 30 DS. After reading on the FR3 I am wonder if the slides are a problem. If they malfunction how are they put in ? I had seen posts referring to tool and drill but can't find any instructions nor do I have anything that looks like a tool. Any help or directions to where I might obtain needed info would be appreciated.
Marine4Life is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out