Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2014, 01:26 PM   #61
Senior Member
 
PhotoMaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NJ
Posts: 245
I wouldn't even know where to clean on the 30DS. Someone said the motor is up top behind the storage cabinets. Heck, the MH came with tools to manually open and close the slides, but no instructions to tell you where to use the tool. Knowing that would be a great start! Anyone?
__________________

__________________
Greg, Barbara and Cody the wonder-pup.
2014 FR3 30DS
(and 2 200cc Scooters)
PhotoMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 04:07 PM   #62
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Western KY
Posts: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
You know i still say that things go in cycles here. Sorry to hear about your problem. The thing is that these things should not be happening to begin with. Everyone pays good money for their units or MH. How many times do you estimate that you used that slide? Then it's always 2 or 3 weeks and FR has to order the parts. Hell they build them you know they have a stock pile, or the frame manufacturer has to have them. Who ever heard of that you have to pull boards up to make something work. PhotoMaster, I would try and wash out the gear area before you take it in, sometimes you get road grime caught in it. That's another area that needs covering to prevent it from happening...Good luck
I dont think you understand the gear and motor are INSIDE the coach...above the bed cabinets. There is no dirt or grime it is actually very clean. This is a case, i believe, of the bed boards catching and the gears stripping. Im thinking either the front slide has a heavy duty gear/motor or if its the same it is because of the way the boards that fold down when the bed slide is in are catching. And there is not a track to say it is a steel cable/pulley system. If mine breaks a second time ill be pushing to get the HD set that the catalog shows...even if i have to pay for it myself. As Photomaster notes...it is no fun pushing it. In isnt too bad but i find the push out with DW on switch to be the real back breaker and certainly not acceptable for such a 2 month old coach.
__________________

__________________
zippyzrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 04:10 PM   #63
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Western KY
Posts: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoMaster View Post
I wouldn't even know where to clean on the 30DS. Someone said the motor is up top behind the storage cabinets. Heck, the MH came with tools to manually open and close the slides, but no instructions to tell you where to use the tool. Knowing that would be a great start! Anyone?
Ive removed the back of the cabinet over the bed and the motor/gear is right there. It is a pain to get too. But with the gear shearing a tooth (which is what it sounds and acts like) then it doesnt matter...the motor drives it fine..it slips on the missed tooth. That is when i find i have to shove it in/out then it grabs again until the bad spot on the gears comes back around. About 4 or 5 shoves total get it in or out. Even with the manual tool its not going to get past the problem tooth. That is why you have to push it. As stated i find in a lot easier (more room to work and can use both hands). When pushing it out i find it easy at first then as i get it farther out its harder to get leverage & traction.
__________________
zippyzrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:20 AM   #64
Senior Member
 
Witch Doctor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Clarksville Va.
Posts: 7,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyzrx View Post
I dont think you understand the gear and motor are INSIDE the coach...above the bed cabinets. There is no dirt or grime it is actually very clean. This is a case, i believe, of the bed boards catching and the gears stripping. Im thinking either the front slide has a heavy duty gear/motor or if its the same it is because of the way the boards that fold down when the bed slide is in are catching. And there is not a track to say it is a steel cable/pulley system. If mine breaks a second time ill be pushing to get the HD set that the catalog shows...even if i have to pay for it myself. As Photomaster notes...it is no fun pushing it. In isnt too bad but i find the push out with DW on switch to be the real back breaker and certainly not acceptable for such a 2 month old coach.
No your right I have one slide in the bedroom that is on cable motor inside. The other two are under the trailer for the main slides. Thought he was talking about the main slide. I got dirt or road grime after it rained and the roads were wet, but that was on the main slides.
__________________
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 11:05 AM   #65
Senior Member
 
PhotoMaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NJ
Posts: 245
On the 30DS the bed boards don't flip up. I don't think a catching board is the issue. I just think they underestimated the weight of the slide when they decided on which motor/gear assembly to use. As I mentioned before, they give you extenders to allow you to crank the slides manually, but no instruction how to do it. Someone said that the gear that is bad doesn't pose a problem for manual cranking. If that's the case, a drill and the extender will allow us to open and close the slides without the pushing and pulling. Again, if someone knows how please post it. Do I have to disassemble something to get to the crank?
__________________
Greg, Barbara and Cody the wonder-pup.
2014 FR3 30DS
(and 2 200cc Scooters)
PhotoMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 11:36 AM   #66
Senior Member
 
JerseyGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 120
For the 30DS you have to to move the wooden valance above the bed. As I remember, there are three screws covered with wood grained plugs. The entire valance has to be removed to get to the motor and gears. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1405265721.269913.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	631.0 KB
ID:	58068

You can barely see the plugs in the photo.


2014 FR3 30DS In New Jersey
__________________
JerseyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 01:00 PM   #67
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 34
Bed slide on 25-DS...

The gear box is the last component in line for the slide to move. If gear box is bad and motor is good, the slide still won't move. If you have the flexible shaft "tool" and a drill motor, if the gear box is bad, it is still broke. The tool will only help you if the motor burns up. AND, remember, slides don't move when the engine is running. Think about 60 MPH, moving down the road, and the button shorts out... WOW!!!

It appears that the engineers did not properly match the specs for the gear box and the work that was going to be required of it. UNDERSIZED for the load. I would like to see FR do a recall with a bigger, correct gear box. What do you think the odds of them doing that is?
__________________
2014 FR3 25DS (Bought 2-22-2014)
Spokane, WA
wjpelka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 01:04 PM   #68
Senior Member
 
Witch Doctor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Clarksville Va.
Posts: 7,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjpelka View Post
The gear box is the last component in line for the slide to move. If gear box is bad and motor is good, the slide still won't move. If you have the flexible shaft "tool" and a drill motor, if the gear box is bad, it is still broke. The tool will only help you if the motor burns up. AND, remember, slides don't move when the engine is running. Think about 60 MPH, moving down the road, and the button shorts out... WOW!!!

It appears that the engineers did not properly match the specs for the gear box and the work that was going to be required of it. UNDERSIZED for the load. I would like to see FR do a recall with a bigger, correct gear box. What do you think the odds of them doing that is?
Is your unit chain driven?
__________________
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 01:17 PM   #69
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 34
Yes it is...

Sorry. I should have stated that the out put shaft of the gear box has a double sprocket on it that drives 2 chains, one for the forward half, one for the rear. The chains are connected to cables. The online manual shows how to adjust the cables and more. Seems like a real headache. Let the dealer do it under warranty, if it has to be done...
__________________
2014 FR3 25DS (Bought 2-22-2014)
Spokane, WA
wjpelka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 01:30 PM   #70
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Charlotte NC
Posts: 8
This is for what it's worth to anyone that has a camper like ours. Hope it helps. We have a 2004 Cedar Creek 38KTS. 3 slides but we have a 3000.00 repair bill to pay because from what I understand from Tom Johnson Camping the bedroom slide has no stop so after the two other slides got a little harder over the years to pull in the bedroom slide went in too far and caused water to get in the bottom of the bedroom slide and rot the wood. The fix they say is to drill holes into the slide and tap the holes then put bolts in the hole to act as stops. This keeps the bedroom slide from coming in too far and causing problems. They say that the smallest slide which is the bedroom comes in first and only after it gets all the way in does the others come in. It's all done with hydraulics and when the other rooms gets a little harder than normal to come in it will force the bedroom slide in farther than it should thus creating a water entry point. Sure would have been nice if they had thought about that when they built the camper. We love the camper but this really hurts! So if you think the slides are not doing right have them checked out.
__________________

__________________
carolinacamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
slide, slide out

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:34 PM.