Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2018, 11:07 AM   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchRv View Post
Disappointing.

Of course they know. They should grow a pair and man up. There's better ways to handle this. They could order a batch of gearboxes and even sell them to 'us' at cost. It would keep us happy. Now they are pointing fingers...
If FR and other mfg's did not want to go to the expense of a motor over current limit device, which is understandable, how about they use a simple low cost shear pin where the double drive sprocket connects to the gear box output shaft?

Such a shear pin would of course have to be sized so as to shear prior to gear box or other damage.

Replacing a shear pin instead of a gear box or motor or cables while annoying would be an order of magnitude easier than those other difficult and expensive alternatives. Living in Western NY I know the value of shear pins which have saved significant damage being done to my snow blower.

NOTE! In the bedroom slide out, while moving it in, the mattress hits the drawers on the other side before the slide out is fully pulled in. The mattress bows up somewhat during the last few inches of travel.

In my case, this is the only spot where I can see the entire assembly would be under higher load than expected.
wurlitzer28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 08:57 AM   #142

WARNING!!!!!

Do NOT purchase these from Dyers in Phoenix, AZ.

I asked and was assured the gearboxes were serial numbers greater than 170xxxx as the 130xxxx are known to be susceptible to the failures we are seeing in the FR and other MFGs slide outs.

Waiting 8 days for them to arrive not the 5 business days advertised and sure enough they lied and these are 130xxxxx versions.

Will have to cancel our trip thanks to these liars.
Old 09-09-2018, 09:00 AM   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by wurlitzer28 View Post
WARNING!!!!!

Do NOT purchase these from Dyers in Phoenix, AZ.

I asked and was assured the gearboxes were serial numbers greater than 170xxxx as the 130xxxx are known to be susceptible to the failures we are seeing in the FR and other MFGs slide outs.

Waiting 8 days for them to arrive not the 5 business days advertised and sure enough they lied and these are 130xxxxx versions.

Will have to cancel our trip thanks to these liars.
Dyers in Phoenix, AZ seems to be a local RV parts dealer, not the same as Dyersonline. I have purchased 2 gear boxes and 2 motors from Dyersonline and both times got the latest model versions and within the shipping time frames quoted.
mjessie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 02:37 PM   #144

It was Dyers online who misrepresented what they had in stock.
Old 09-09-2018, 02:56 PM   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by wurlitzer28 View Post
It was Dyers online who misrepresented what they had in stock.
Wow that's just awful service. I wonder if they ran out of the new ones and sourced the shipment through a 3rd party who is selling the crappy old ones. I'm sorry that happened to you. I'd be fuming as well. What did they say when you contacted their customer service? They better give you a full refund even though that's not good enough now that they ruined your trip.
mjessie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 04:00 PM   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjessie View Post
Wow that's just awful service. I wonder if they ran out of the new ones and sourced the shipment through a 3rd party who is selling the crappy old ones. I'm sorry that happened to you. I'd be fuming as well. What did they say when you contacted their customer service? They better give you a full refund even though that's not good enough now that they ruined your trip.
As it is Sunday, I'll have to wait until Monday to speak to someone but the damage is done. I already sent an e-mail to their support@dyersonline.com site to document their error. I wish I had made a copy of the online "Chat" to verify their claim these were the newer gear boxes.
Old 09-09-2018, 07:16 PM   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by twirvin View Post
My gear box went out and I am not under warranty. The dealer replaced it but I started to look at spare parts/long term solutions. Here is what I found.

1.) All the gear boxes come from china, imported by Norco Industries (no surprise I guess) - Welcome to Norco Industries, Inc.

2.) The slide out mechanicals are sold as a kit called Accu Side by BAL RV Products Group
BAL - Innovative Products for the RV Industry

The web site has pretty good information to include a complete parts list (I think). Take a look at the designer guide, installation guide and the service manual pdfs. There is also a training video on how to replace the cable.

Here is a list of Motor/gear box parts (previously listed). The parts list implies you can order the entire kit or individual parts. I am going to try to order just the gear box so I have a complete spare.

http://norcoind.com/bal/downloads/ac...tor%20List.pdf

Here is a list of slide out parts:
http://norcoind.com/bal/downloads/ac...rts%20List.pdf

3.) Norco provided a product availability bulletin that identifies 5 distributors (have not tried them yet)
http://norcoind.com/bal/downloads/ac...20Bulletin.pdf

4.) I was reviewing the slide out parts and noticed Accu Track offers a motor controller that is designed to keep users from burning out the motor or breaking the gear box. The controller is Accu Track part# 22303 which is really Kinetek part# KCCA0005
http://www.kinetekcontrols.com/produ...ntrollerDS.pdf

The controller monitors amperage specifically so you don't break the motor/gearbox and it is adjustable. It would seem this is exactly what we need.

So does anyone know if FR uses the motor controller and if not why not? If FR does use the controller, then where is it? I would think we can reduce the set point to keep things from breaking.

If there is not a motor controller then I am going to order one, it does not look to complicated to wire in.

I just ordered two of the Kinetek controllers from ebay for $15.99 each

Bob
Kentucky Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 11:56 AM   #148

Motor/Gearbox Mounting

My bedroom slide gearbox in the FR3 30DS went out as well, after 2 years of no problems. My question to anyone out there is why was the motor/gearbox unit mounted at a skew? I have noticed this on a number of other videos and pictures on the web.

I mounted my new one horizontally, not skewed. Doing so it appears that the chains are more lined up.

Any ideas?
Old 09-14-2018, 01:55 PM   #149

Hello, does anyone know the Motor part #
GM_LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 08:29 AM   #150
jc1

Angry Rear bed slide issue 2015 FR3

We just returned from latest trip and the issue this time was the rear slide out for bed. Pressed button out and slide started making awful sound and stopped after going out almost immediately. Pushed slide in and slide came back in but still making noise. Pushed slide out and same thing happened, making banging noise and stopped after about 6 inches. Pushed button in and bed came in making noise again. Had wife push button out and I pushed on top of frame above bed and slide did go out but making banging noise all the way. It did stop about 6 to 8 inches from full out position but was enough to let bed down and use it for the week. I checked under slide and found nothing that should have been making noise or obstructing slide action. Worried the whole week that slide would not come back in for trip home but it did come in making banging noise. Will be taking it back to dealer this week again, as my wife says it would be really great to take just one trip without an issue.
jc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 10:01 AM   #151

A quick word of advice!
Make sure that whoever services your slide really knows what they are doing!!!
We had ours done at a major New Jersey RV sales/service company (Note: It wasn't Camping World). When they did the repair they misaligned the cable blocks on the chain ends causing the blocks to cross and snag each other. A bolt sheared off, cables snapped, and pulleys broke. The company that did the work charged it to MY insurance even though it was their screw up. Even with our insurance it cost us money (deductible), and months with no camper because they had to completely remove the entire bedroom slide out from the RV. It was nightmare after nightmare.
PhotoMaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out