Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2014, 03:18 PM   #1

FR3 Windshield Gasket

Has anyone had the molding or gasket replaced. I know several people have mentioned it is loose. Our is coming out and right now I have it taped in place. FR told me to take it to a dealer. One dealer just told me the windshield needs to come out to replace the gasket. Our we just experiencing a problem with windshield trim? FR told me it is only cosmetic.
My question is have you had yours replaced on your FR3?
Thanks in advance
Gil
niedobry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 06:08 PM   #2

No. I did have the windshield/roof metal strip come loose on the driver's side. Dealer re-caulked it and screwed in back in place. No leaks even after massive snows here in New Jersey.
JerseyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 06:09 PM   #3

Actually the fiberglass front to the roof, not the windshield.
JerseyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:42 PM   #4

Ya, I have leak when it rains. Going to the dealer on April 1st to repair it.
Rolling Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:01 AM   #5

We dropped our FR3 off at La Mesa RV in Port St Lucie this AM. First oil change and get the windshield molding replaced. Let's see how their service is compared to their marketing.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:58 AM   #6

We had ours fixed twice, and then finally replaced. And I think they did take the glass out to replace it!!
Pammyjams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:02 AM   #7

A few months ago I noticed that the gasket was pulling up in a couple places. Ended up duct-taping it down as a temporary fix. Contacted dealer service and they supposedly were ordering the part. Never heard back from them and kind of dropped it for the time being.

Then, as I was showing it to someone, I noticed that not only is the gasket coming up, there is at least one place where the windshield is not actually seated in the groove. Took the attached picture showing how a plastic scraper can slip through the gap. I'm presently in email discussion with Forest River warranty to see if I can have it fixed by the repair place that did some body work for me (oopsie in a gas station) since I have very little confidence in the dealer's service department. Don't have a final answer on that.

While I'm generally pleased with the FR3, they need to seriously rethink their quality control when a motorhome with this kind of thing goes out the door.

Barbara
2014 FR3 30 DS
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	48621  
BarbaraG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:32 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraG View Post
A few months ago I noticed that the gasket was pulling up in a couple places. Ended up duct-taping it down as a temporary fix. Contacted dealer service and they supposedly were ordering the part. Never heard back from them and kind of dropped it for the time being.

Then, as I was showing it to someone, I noticed that not only is the gasket coming up, there is at least one place where the windshield is not actually seated in the groove. Took the attached picture showing how a plastic scraper can slip through the gap. I'm presently in email discussion with Forest River warranty to see if I can have it fixed by the repair place that did some body work for me (oopsie in a gas station) since I have very little confidence in the dealer's service department. Don't have a final answer on that.

While I'm generally pleased with the FR3, they need to seriously rethink their quality control when a motorhome with this kind of thing goes out the door.

Barbara
2014 FR3 30 DS

Whoa, I sure hope they fix my! Even though we have not had that much rain, I still think it is important to be assured that my windshield won't fly off in transit. Thanks
Old 03-28-2014, 11:38 AM   #9

Yeah, me, too.

Luckily I don't have any trips scheduled in the near term and the place where it is gapped is on a lower edge. I haven't noticed any leaking, so I guess it's pretty well-seated on the top edges.

Someone told me (don't know if it's true or not) that this happens because they don't let it sit long enough to thoroughly set after epoxying the thing; in a hurry to get it off the assembly-line, I guess. Kind of made sense to me, but what do I know?

B
Old 03-28-2014, 06:32 PM   #10

FR told me the gasket or molding was purely cosmetic. It sure doesn't look that way in your picture.
Old 03-29-2014, 09:11 AM   #11

I believe the gasket would be primarily cosmetic, IF the windshield were correctly seated. However, even in that case, I suspect it's good to have the protective gasket so that windshield epoxy joint doesn't get yuck accumulating in it.

B
Old 04-01-2014, 10:44 PM   #12

Well got back from the dealer, and they repaired the concerns I had- leaky windshield, front shade and door lock. I was able to get out in 3 hours, enough time to get through L.A. Traffic. So hopefully all will be well for awhile. Camping this weekend!
Old 04-04-2014, 12:52 AM   #13
Slacker

Wow, I got a call 2 weeks ago from my dealer, saying your new windshield is in. I thought, what??? I said you must have me mixed up. The lady said, go outside and take a look with a credit card - sure enough the rubber rain strip was improperly seated. They already had a service spot reserved for me and everything. Very happy with my dealer right now! Picking her up tomorrow, also getting some minor bugs fixed. First trip is in two weeks.

We are the Pilgrims, master; we shall go
Always a little further; it may be
Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
Across that angry or that glimmering sea
JonnyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:28 AM   #14

Wonder who your dealer is, JonnyP. I'm very unhappy with the service I get from mine. I told them about the gasket back in January. Have heard nothing since. Think I'm going to get it fixed under the warranty by an RV repair shop I've been dealing with for some non-warranty repairs and remodeling.
Old 04-07-2014, 02:44 PM   #15
Slacker

That would be Poulsbo RV in Kent, WA.

We are the Pilgrims, master; we shall go
Always a little further; it may be
Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
Across that angry or that glimmering sea
JonnyP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas