Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2015, 07:54 AM   #1

FR3DS televisions

We have a 2015, bought in April 2014. When we use antenna, the main TV receives more stations than the bedroom or outside set. Does anyone else have the same problem or any idea what is happening?
J1BCU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 11:30 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by J1BCU View Post
We have a 2015, bought in April 2014. When we use antenna, the main TV receives more stations than the bedroom or outside set. Does anyone else have the same problem or any idea what is happening?
Yep. one will almost ALWAYS receive more than the other. First, I am assuming you used the scan feature to load the channels. The TV digital tuner has a threshold set to decide if a channel has intelligence on it. ie. If absent or too weak to reliably watch it skips it. If it does meet the threshold, it stores it to memory. Each TV may have a different threshold level set internally at that factory. Also when you did the scan the signal strength may have varied ever so slightly. Plus, the length of the cable to the outside and bedroom sets might have a tiny loss. When I do the scan at setup time, I might get 30 channels on the front TV, 27 outside and maybe 22 on the bedroom. (Never did an exact count, but they always differ.) BTW, if you do a rescan of the sets, they are very likely to come up with different numbers again. The marginal stations will come and go.
Nothing wrong... (Unless the numbers are VERY different (50%). In which case you might have an amp/cable/splitter problem. Not likely a TV...

BTW, That is the same unit we have. (FRS-DS)
HAM CALLSIGN - AI4SR
EE, IBMer, Race Car Builder, now Retired.
Jim Schings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 06:40 PM   #3

Thank you for the info. Why then when connected to satellite all have the same reception?
We like our 30ds and have made some personal modifications.
Do you travel much? We are from the Elkhart area.
Old 10-11-2015, 07:03 PM   #4

My 2015 30DS does exactly the same thing on my 3 tvs when using the amplified over the air antenna.
leisurelarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 07:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by J1BCU View Post
Thank you for the info. Why then when connected to satellite all have the same reception?
We like our 30ds and have made some personal modifications.
Do you travel much? We are from the Elkhart area.
When connected to Sat, all the signals are typically going to be well over the threshold level and the sets will probably "hear" them all. When receiving off the air, the signal levels will all vary (between each other and over time)

(Located in Lexington, KY, and we do 8 or 10 trips per year, each 4 to 6 days long... Next trip to Topeka KS via a stop in St. Louis for a auto race. 6 days.
HAM CALLSIGN - AI4SR
EE, IBMer, Race Car Builder, now Retired.
Jim Schings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 07:55 PM   #6

We are going to Gattlnburg area next week to check out the colors. Leave to As in Nov.
Old 10-14-2015, 11:52 PM   #7
RetAF7393

Hi to all, I was having trouble with reception on tv's, the picture would pixalate and freeze.. I took the atenna apart found the coax connector to be loose at the base. So I spent some time checking all connections to the splitter and boost. After wards scans via each TV was much better.

Tags
television