Old 04-28-2018, 01:45 PM   #1

Fresh water tank Leaking

I have discovered that I have a small leak somewhere in the upper part of the fresh water tank in my2014 FR3 25ds. Have checked all fitting, all good. The leak seems to occur only when the tank is full and stops when the water is about 3" down from the top. It is soaking the wood that the tank sit on and need to get it fixed before major problems occur. Has anyone removed their tank and repaired it, how hard is it to remove and/or can it be repaired. Does anyone have any information on the tank like part number of the tank and where to order a new one? Wanting to fix this before I de-winterize the unit. Thanks for your help, John

Mr J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 03:47 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr J View Post
I have discovered that I have a small leak somewhere in the upper part of the fresh water tank in my2014 FR3 25ds. Have checked all fitting, all good. The leak seems to occur only when the tank is full and stops when the water is about 3" down from the top. It is soaking the wood that the tank sit on and need to get it fixed before major problems occur. Has anyone removed their tank and repaired it, how hard is it to remove and/or can it be repaired. Does anyone have any information on the tank like part number of the tank and where to order a new one? Wanting to fix this before I de-winterize the unit. Thanks for your help, John
Check this thread about replacing tank with a larger tank:
FR3 30DS 2015 fresh water tank size?

Solar Power & Battle Born batteries thread
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 10:06 AM   #3

I had a leak from what I had assumed was my fresh water tank. It was doing the same thing, stopping when the water level reached a few inches from the bottom.

What it turned out to be, was the clear filter bowl on the water pump had worked loose. I only found it by staring at the thing for a few minutes and saw a drip.

I hope your issue is this easy!
Old 04-29-2018, 10:44 AM   #4

I wish it was that simple OldGunny, the leak is coming from the right side under the tank. I checked all the fittings and they are good. Looking under the motorhome it appears the leak is about 1/2 back on the tank, but looks can be deceiving when looking at wood flooring the tank is setting on. The Rv repair station said it would be around $1000 for them to replace it. Would rather fix it myself for that kind of price.
Mr J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 12:55 PM   #5

I hear ya, Mr J!

From what I have learned working on my RV, the jacks are our friend!

I hope it goes smooth for you!
Old 04-29-2018, 06:28 PM   #6
Bene Gesserit Rule

Quote:
I wish it was that simple OldGunny, the leak is coming from the right side under the tank. I checked all the fittings and they are good. Looking under the motorhome it appears the leak is about 1/2 back on the tank, but looks can be deceiving when looking at wood flooring the tank is setting on. The Rv repair station said it would be around $1000 for them to replace it. Would rather fix it myself for that kind of price.
I had a leak in a new unit. Ignored it for the first trip. Actually I didn't realize what the leak was, just that we kept losing water while on the road. Turns out the tank was badly mounted and floating on its bracket. This caused it to wear along the top edge until it split. After the first very short trip, I was filling the tank ready for another trip when it exploded. It had split the entire length of the top edge. My dealer ignored my calls for help (and warranty fix) so I finished up paying for a replacement. I put in a stainless steel tank, with baffles.

This was to ensure I wouldn't have the same problem again. Trouble with solution was two-fold. 1: cost - $4500 (labour and tank). 2:- In the north of Australia most of the water comes from the artesian (underground) basin, which is high in minerals. It's OK to drink, people have been using it for a couple of centuries now. I discovered 2 years later after the tank sprang a leak that putting this water in my s/s tank has caused new problems. The minerals react with the (as it turned out) low grade s/s and now it too leaks. Apparently, once you put bore water into a s/s tank the end is a matter of time only. This is irreversible. The minerals create an acid that eats through the metal, starting at corners or weld points. I have put new welds at all the spots that have eaten through and some places on the way but not yet broken through but more will occur. I now have to go back to a poly tank. Trouble with that is, no one in Australia sells a 200 litre poly tank. I may have to resort to putting in two smaller tanks.
Murbella7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 06:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGunny View Post
I hear ya, Mr J!

From what I have learned working on my RV, the jacks are our friend!

I hope it goes smooth for you!
PLEASE BE CAREFUL working under the RV while on your leveling jacks!!!!!!!!!
DutchRv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 07:07 PM   #8

If you can see the leak...

Quote:
If you can move things around and see the leak and get at it, and if you can lower the water level well below the leak area and get the crack really dry, you could make an attempt with hot-melt glue. I've had good luck with it on most things.

Use the high-temp stuff, not the low-temp crafter glue, and get a gun that's really hot, like Harbor Freight's best unit. Let the gun heat for at least ten minutes before starting to work.

Larry
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 09:11 PM   #9
Bene Gesserit Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
If you can move things around and see the leak and get at it, and if you can lower the water level well below the leak area and get the crack really dry, you could make an attempt with hot-melt glue. I've had good luck with it on most things.

Use the high-temp stuff, not the low-temp crafter glue, and get a gun that's really hot, like Harbor Freight's best unit. Let the gun heat for at least ten minutes before starting to work.

Larry
Dropping the tank is really not that hard. They hard bit is putting it back. Just watch the wires.
Murbella7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 09:15 PM   #10

Not all tanks are underslung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murbella7 View Post
Dropping the tank is really not that hard. They hard bit is putting it back. Just watch the wires.
Not all tanks are underslung. On our older trailer (22' Nash), it's under the lift-up mattress of the bed. It would be very easy to move, to replace or repair from the inside.

Larry

Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, leak, tank, water, water tank