Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2015, 02:19 PM   #1

front end wandering

hello everyone. I am posting my first post to this forum. Been reading all that has been said for weeks but now I need some help. We just brought home to Massachussetts ,from Osprey, Florida,our newly acquired FR3 2014. I personaly had a good time . Stopped twice, once in Georgia at Twin Oaks and once in Tenn. ,at Rocky Branch. Both very comfortable and clean places.But getting to the point. The motorhome was so tough to drive. You could not leave your guard down or else the rv went its own way. I've driven 16 foot trucks that were easier. If this is a problem with rv's then I just lost my partner(my wife) because she cant handle it without getting whiteknuckles and a stiff set of shoulders. Any thoughts.
khybskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 02:32 PM   #2

Look for a post called
"Safety plus steering control"

Safety plus is one of the manufacturers but Blue Ox also makes them. They are sideways gas shocks that soften the steer and take away the wander. Because the FR3 does not have the brackets the install in a bit more complex. But CW will sell you the kit and the brackets.

I have read some horror stories about getting them correctly adjusted. And some others who have had no issues.

By the way, I'm based in South Eastern Mass

2014 FR330 DS
Technorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 02:35 PM   #3

You are not alone brother, I white-knuckled the whole way to storage from the dealer. I have done a lot of research and have found the following:

1. check your tire pressure to make sure it is correct, should be on the wall next to the driver seat, mine says 82 psi
2. check the alignment - a lot of people are off - if you can find a Ford dealer to service Rvs it should be under Warranty - if you bought new.
3. Cheap handle Fix - free and you can do it yourself - This will help with the rolling (rocking back and forth - I just did it and posted a guide - see CHF Guide post, PM your email and I can send a PDF
4. Steering Stabilizer. I just installed the Roadmaster Reflex and it helps with the passing semi trucks. If money was not an option then I would have installed the Blu Ox Tru Center, Safe-T Plus is another good option.
5. Rear track Bar - this helps with the tail wagging. Blu Ox makes one of these as well.
6. Better Shocks (Koni) or SumoSprings (airless Air bags)

1 thru 4, you can do first and will help considerably

I hope this helps

Weldon
WGFR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 02:46 PM   #4

wandering

Yes the Cheap Handling Fix really does work plus proper tire pressure. The new item from Blue Ox is called TrueCenter that handles that. I experienced the sam thing you are when I first got my Georgetown did the CHF above and had it aligned. When there is little wind it drives like a dream when there is wind it's a little tougher. If a tractor trailer is set up for low wind drag take notice they can pass you and have no affect on your coach verses one that is old school.
siskom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 02:53 PM   #5
H3N

Front end wandering

Our dealer installed the safety plus for us and had the front end aligned afterwords. Worked like a charm.

H3N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 03:09 PM   #6

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by khybskid View Post
hello everyone. I am posting my first post to this forum. Been reading all that has been said for weeks but now I need some help. We just brought home to Massachussetts ,from Osprey, Florida,our newly acquired FR3 2014. I personaly had a good time . Stopped twice, once in Georgia at Twin Oaks and once in Tenn. ,at Rocky Branch. Both very comfortable and clean places.But getting to the point. The motorhome was so tough to drive. You could not leave your guard down or else the rv went its own way. I've driven 16 foot trucks that were easier. If this is a problem with rv's then I just lost my partner(my wife) because she cant handle it without getting whiteknuckles and a stiff set of shoulders. Any thoughts.
YOU MUST ADJUST FRONT AND REAR SWAY BARS COST NOTHING BUT COULD SAVE YOUR LIFE. VERY EASY TO DO SEE OTHER POST. HERE THE PICTURES OF MIND AFTER ADJUSTMENT. fORD OR RV DEALER SHOULD DO BUT THEY DONT, UNLESS YOU ASK THEM TO
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150424_104025.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	292.3 KB
ID:	75514   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150424_104141.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	294.0 KB
ID:	75515  
Carl17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 07:31 PM   #7

ok so im on it. I want my wife to be able to be comfortable to drive this so blu ox then alignment and adjust sway bar and tire pressure. The unit is new so an alignment by ford is due. Thank you guys for the advice. I will get back after this is done and tested
khybskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 07:35 PM   #8

After all of these changes my wife white knuckles are a soft pink again.

MSG (Ret)
U.S. Army
Active-duty 66-92
2015 FR3 30DS
fpo1123 is offline   Reply With Quote