Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2017, 11:04 AM   #1

Front passenger 110 V outlet

Does the front passenger 110 V outlet Require being hooked up or generator. Expected it to work while driving. Am I missing something simple?
CSroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 11:10 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSroo View Post
Does the front passenger 110 V outlet Require being hooked up or generator. Expected it to work while driving. Am I missing something simple?
Howdy CSroo, to get 120 volt AC power ..you will require either shore power connected to such, a generator capable of producing it, or an inverter that takes 12 volt DC and inverts it to 120 volt AC.

If you are not connected to shore power or have a generator going..that would leave an inverter.

Not sure if your FR3 has such connected to the outlets in question, but I'm sure a fellow owner will chime in shortly and let you know. I'm kinda like you, and would think that it would be powered while driving being in the cockpit, but that's just my thoughts with no basis in fact or experience.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 11:44 AM   #3
Kanadian Kamper

Your FR3 probably does NOT have an inverter. The 110 V outlet you’re referencing is probably the same as most Class A units, and only works as wmtire outlined.

What were you hoping to power while you drive down the road?

How about using one of these from your 12V outlet?

https://www.google.com/search?q=12+v...obile&ie=UTF-8

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 11:48 AM   #4

Thanks, I’ll look into an inverter
Love this forum
CSroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 02:18 PM   #5

I have a 2017 FR3-30DS.. The 120 v receptacle by the passenger side is only powered when hooked up to a land line or when on generator... sorta defeats the whole idea of having a 120 v receptacle by the passenger doesn't it ?? You would think that Forest River would have at least provided a small inverter to power a laptop while driving down the road as is common in most SUVs today.
BILL49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 02:55 PM   #6

Son-in-law brought along and then left for us a small device that plugs into a 12V power point and has a 12V outlet, USB ports and a 110VAC socket that will handle small devices such as a laptop computer, etc. Should be able to get at such places as Walmart or Best Buy.
First Mate = Xiangbing
Crew = Radar, NiuNiu & NaNa
BobHanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 03:49 PM   #7

I got a plug in for the laptop that plugs into a 12 volt outlet and powers it up. From the manufacturer of my lap top.
Old 11-19-2017, 04:04 PM   #8
LBJ

I use these Go Power Inverter, link to Amazon below. The smallest, 175W, is fanless, no noise, but won't run much. With an inverter you need to know what load you are going to run on it. For example a laptop power brick. On the back of the brick it will say what the input values are in Volts and Amps. Volts x Amps = Watts. Once you know your power needs you can pick the invterter you want. It is a good idea to pick an inverter that can supply twice the needed watts. So say 110V at 2 amps = 220 watts, I would then consider getting the 600 Watt inverter, but would also consider the 300w if I was feeling tight on funds and didn't want to spend for the bigger one.

One thing that I have experienced though is that the 12v connection needs to be in very good contact with the source. If not, the inverter will not get the power it needs to run properly and will sound the alarm and turn off.

Hope that helps in picking out an inveter.
Brian

Amazon link to the Go Power inverters.
https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb...power+inverter