Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2020, 09:35 AM   #1

Front power shade not working

FR3 30DS 2015. I have a faint clicking now when trying to raise the front power shade. No movement. Any ideas or where to look first? Not sure where the motor is. Has anyone had to replace theirs and have the part number........?

Thanks for any help.
Old 01-29-2020, 10:05 AM   #2

Update, apparently my chassis battery is dead. Most likely the problem.
Old 01-29-2020, 12:04 PM   #3

If you have an emergency start function you could actuate that switch and see if the shade works. That would indicate a low coach battery issue.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 01:45 PM   #4

Apparently there is no 12v coming from the SDC107A to the chassis battery.
Old 01-29-2020, 02:28 PM   #5

When the emergency start switch is used it ties the coach and chassis batteries together; it is not a one way street and I just thought this might be a way to check whether your coach battery was really the issue. Your unit may not allow this to happen though. Do your electric steps extend and retract? If they don't extend/retract open/close the door and actuate the emergency start switch. If they extend/retract the coach battery is definitely bad.
Old 01-29-2020, 04:40 PM   #6

The chassis battery read 9volts, so I put it on the charger. Replaced the battery, and the coach started, and window shade retracted. Using a voltmeter on the SDC-107A BCC, I do not see any voltage on the lug for the chassis battery. I do of course when the coach is running as this is coming from the engine generator. When running on shore power, there is no voltage on that lug. The chassis batteries show 13.25 volts, so the interconnect relay should energize putting the coach and chassis batteries in parallel. This does not appear to work.

Yes the steps extend and retract. I'm pretty confident the chassis batteries are good. They appear to be charged ok by the converter.
Old 01-29-2020, 04:57 PM   #7

Sorry, I have my head on backwards with my thinking; however, the emergency start function is for your exact issue and it should have supplied the coach battery power to the chassis battery for engine start and also if not used for starting should have powered the shade. Did you try the emergency start function at all? Yeah your chassis battery was depleted. Chassis battery is the engine battery. The other batteries are the coach batteries. Does sound as though there may be an SDC-107 issue wherein the chassis battery is not being charged when connected to shore power. When the engine is running and not connected to shore power is there charging voltage at the coach batteries (checked directly at the battery post)?
Old 01-29-2020, 05:31 PM   #8

Yes, with the engine running I read 14.4 volts at the chassis battery. With the engine off, the voltage reads about 11.9 volts. This does not change when I press the Battery Booster switch at the driver's console. The coach batteries read 13.22 v. I believe the interconnect switch can be activated one of two ways. Either by the Control Electronics or the Battery Booster switch. Since neither appears to energize the switch, my thoughts is that it is the interconnect switch relay that is bad.
Old 01-29-2020, 07:12 PM   #9

Here are a couple SDC-107 documents. The batcont.pdf is only 2 pages but has an internal simplified schematic. The FR3.pdf is the SDC-107 for FR3 motorhomes. Hope these help.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf batcont.pdf (1.34 MB, 51 views)
File Type: pdf FR3.pdf (469.0 KB, 42 views)
Old 01-30-2020, 08:31 AM   #10

Thanks. I already have all the diagrams and schematics for this thing. Good to repost tho in case others following this post need them.

What I am wondering is if it is possible to jumper the chassis and coach posts together, much like what the interconnect relay does. The diagram shows a jumper. Not sure where it is or if it would be possible to do that.

Sent an email to the company but have not heard back from them yet.
Old 01-30-2020, 09:28 AM   #11

Here is the inside of the unit and as can be seen the bussing of the 2 batteries together is not done with a small gage wire. The interconnect relay can be bypassed as you suggest but would require a substantial wire gage or bus bar. As can be seen the replacement of the interconnect relay would not be difficult. The picture is of a unit with a burnt circuit so disregard.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC-107A Burnt board 20190922_173719.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	457.0 KB
ID:	222639  
Old 01-30-2020, 09:53 AM   #12

I assume the interconnect relay is the large silver round thing at the right side of the pic?
Old 01-30-2020, 11:13 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleyreb View Post
I assume the interconnect relay is the large silver round thing at the right side of the pic?
Yes that is the interconnect relay (solenoid). The one circled red is the interconnect relay. The one circled green is the battery disconnect relay. Yellow X's are not applicable to the SDC-107.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Batt Iso Sole2.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	222640  

Tags
power