Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2016, 04:55 AM   #1

Fulltimers

My husband and I are preparing to become full timers.. Winter in the USA and then summers back in our Alberta Canada.

Please post Favorite tips
Do you steadily travel or stay in place?
Approximately how much would it cost a month?
What not to do
colourful64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 10:42 AM   #2
Always Learning

I travel every 1-3 weeks, sometimes more often.

How much does it cost is an impossible question to answer. I've seen monthly budgets of $2,000 and others of $10,000. I budget $50/night solely for campground fees; I have friends who budget $25/night; I have others who stress if they spend more than $250-500/month; and one family who will ONLY stay at Thousand Trails parks and shoots for a monthly budget of $100 or less. Fuel is a whole nother expense- especially if you're towing a camper with a truck (that's now your daily driver and sight-seeing mobile).

The longer you stay at a campground/RV park, the cheaper it is. Boondocking can be less expensive (of course with the initial investment in a "proper" boondocking setup).

What not to do? Expect that you're camping Fulltime. This is now your home and your life.

What else not to do? Ignore weight ratings. Weigh your setup and be aware of what you're carrying. Now being your home, it's going to be carrying a lot more than you did as a weekender.

Be aware that almost any camper you buy is not rated for fulltiming. Little and unexpected things will break- my most used examples are that I've had to replace drawer slide hardware and the bottoms of drawers.

Also, get a fulltimer-specific insurance policy.
Old 07-11-2016, 04:04 AM   #3

Thank you for the reply I would love to hear more tips from full timers! What is your must have for full timing
colourful64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 04:33 AM   #4

Must have for full time rving is lots n lots of cold beers.
wayne and sherry is offline   Reply With Quote